More info on Japan Revenues?

edited September 13 in Stamp Reviews 1 LikesVote Down
I talked to a friend in Australia on these stamps:
""Hi They are revenues issued by a small town in Chiba Prefecture near Tokyo, but i haven;t seen it before. they are not silk revenues, but the character says, such and such society or union. The charcters so too old for me to understand.
"Kazuaki" "" (Gabychan) s-l1600hgt
the guy is really knowledgeable on things like this and i think he reads the old text? styles? It would appear they are unlisted?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's the same I mentioned before. Because it's a "name" the Kanji can't be "read" unless you know what they are (you can even "invent" pronunciation for a Kanji combination in Japanese. So the "Something-or-Other Union" (And Union may be misleading, as we're interpreting it the same way as "Union" or "Association" but in reality, it could just be a device in the name.

Like English, other languages can be "manipulated". For example if I say "retreat" or "re treat" they may sound like the same thing, but that "pause" in between the second means I get another treat.

In Japanese the colloquial for yakuza is "893". But in Japanese, when taking the alternate pronunciation of the number 8 (Hachi) instead using "Ya" (8) "Ku" (9) "san" (3) Yakusan is close enough to Yakusa when said quickly, that it is a "coded" way to say Yakuza. (Except they just say 8-9-3 each number annunciated).

The problem here is that "Union" kanji can be pronounced so many ways, it's literally translation is tempting, but it's easily conceivable that it's a "sound" device. And unless we know what the other pronunciations are, we can't really tell. I know this sounds weird, but the Japanese language is VERY weird, particularly when it comes to name (kanji).

The only way to actually be certain would be to find someone (or a historian) that knows what this company was (or what this purpose was), who might be able to pronounce it correctly to actually know.
    I'm not a Japanese language scholar... Chiba is another prefecture adjacent to the Tokyo prefecture, but it's not exactly "round the corner" either.

In the present day, prefectures don't create their own revenue stamps. It's possible they did in the past. I think there is some precedent for this, particularly in Nagasaki, in the 1800's, when they were open to the Dutch. Realize Japan has remained a very "cut off" world. By comparison, even today, they are rather isolated. Or perhaps the word Insular is better.
  • very informative Scott! Japan is such an interesting country. I can see the "insular" aspect as I am a real history Buff on Japan. Thanks a lot for the post.