Managing your stamp collecting time!

Hello to all! I am new to the Hipstamp forum so I thought a question or two would break the ice. 1) How much time do you spend on your stamps; 2) if you are a seller how much time do you spend on preparing your orders (packaging, mailing, etc.). Thanks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First, welcome to Hipstamp! As to how much time I spend...too much??? Not enough??? Depends on who you ask in my house lol.

I'm relatively new to the site as a seller (started in January) with decades of accumulations to sell. As a seller, I generally spend about 20 hours a week cataloging, scanning, posting, pulling, packaging, etc. I'm pretty much in it every day, at least an hour, usually more. And I have a regular full-time job. But this is how I relax. I love sending out stamps to other collectors and find it really interesting to see what others collect and what they find interesting.
  • As a seller, time spent on orders, is minimal. We basically just need to print an invoice, and pull the items together, which are already tagged and labeled, put them into dealer card(s), pop in envelope with pre-printed return address, and just write the Ship To address on the front. Take to post office, ship by class (regular, registered, express) depending on value of items.

As a collector... I spend a lot of time, and I have a massive US collection covering the entirety of the Scott Specialized catalog. Few of the big ticket items missing, but not much. Still have a whole in my C3a and my 164... Could do with a 5 and 80 - 82, and 85A, but those are just crazy.

Current obsession is Private Die, to be honest. About 70% of the way there now across all types a, b, c, d, e, u.
  • Wayne, welcome to HipStamp! I too have a full time job and as a part time seller, I probably spend about 30 minutes or so each evening filling orders and another hour or two cataloging, describing, and listing new items (WAY behind on that BTW). My own collection has suffered some but I try and spend some time on the weekends working on it. Not too bad. Wife is quilting (I call it rumpassing) in the room next door and we're listening to music together. It is a great way for both of us to unwind and enjoy the things we like doing. The three cats are not much help though but that's ok. :smiley:
  • Greg, you mean you haven't trained at least ONE of the cats to ID FW's yet??? No wonder you're behind.

In fairness, I only list when we have a new collection and I'm putting the high value stuff where ID and condition are really critical (not that it's not in other listings, but when you're asking someone to pay north of $500 for an item, you want to make sure you've bloody well got it right).

I have an admin that runs the day-to-day for our store. But I created all those processes ages ago, and can now hand it over to someone else. For difficult ID's (like FW's, the odd paper types, LBNs, that kind of thing), I do the ID, put it in a tagged protector, and hand it off to be listed. When I list I use the bulk lister, and usually put up 25 - 100 at a time, my admin lists individually, throughout the day, as time permits. But generally we aim to get at least 10 new listings up every day. That keeps the turnover good.
  • Have you ever trained a cat to do anything they didn't want to do!!!??? Me neither. (OK....my wife just walked in from her rumpass room and reminded me that she did, in fact, teach one of the dang cats to SIT!) They do contribute however....in the form of a stray hair in a scan or an order or two. I actually really enjoy doing it all myself. I tend to get in the "weeds" sometimes but that's part of the fun and challenge of it. Oh, and my wife has trained me well too. I'm such a good boy!!!!! Woof!!!
  • Thanks for your input - I appreciated it. I also have a cat which I used for licking the stamps until I discovered stamp mounts!!