Is this Scott 704-708 cover a Linprint cachet?

HS40369

I found this FDC in a collection that I purchased recently, a label with it suggests it is a Linprint but I have not been able to verify it in any of the usual places. Does any one have the Planty reference for the 1932 Washington series and can confirm or deny if it is Linprint?
Thanks in advance for the help
Mike

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is from a discussion on stampcommunity.org
    I apologize if that's a violation.

Linprint Cachets were produced by Cachetmaker George Ward Linn in Cincinnati OH from 1932 to 1941. Linn is also known as the "Father of the First Modern Cachet, the #610-1 2c Harding Memorial 9/1/23.

George Ward Linn was born in Greenville OH 2/7/1884, the son of a newspaper publisher, William M. Linn. In 1893 the family moved to Columbus OH, and opened the Wm. M. Linn Printing Co. in downtown Columbus. George W. Linn completed 10th grade in 1900, left school and travelled to Cincinnati to work on a newspaper. He returned to the family owned print shop on Chestnut St, Cincinnati OH. In 1905 he began a mail order stamp business, the George W. Linn Co., and by 1920, began informally publishing an irregular series of price lists with stamp articles that was named Linn's Stamp News. Vol. 1 No. 1 of Linn's Weekly Stamp News appeared Nov 5, 1928.

The first pictorial Linprint Cachet was the #717-6 2c Arbor Day issued 4/22/32, but George W. Linn is best known for the "First Modern Cachet," a black-bordered printed cachet in a multitude of small sizes, for the #610-1 2c Harding Memorial issued 9/1/23. This #610 Cachet met with great success , but Linn did not issue another Cachet until the #717-6 in 1932. The #732-2 2c NRA issued 8/15/33 is identified and listed by Mellone, Planty Vol.VI, p. 5, as the 1st Linn's Weekly Stamp News Cachet. The last Linprint Cachet was #C31-18 50c Airplane Transport issued 10/29/41.

The Linprint Cachet business was liquidated in January 1942 after an ill-timed attempt to expand its stamp focus into all hobbies generally. The Linprint line of stamp album pages was sold to Leo August's Washington Press in Newark, NJ, but Linn retained his remaining inventory of Linprint FDCs, which he continued to sell at a discount through 1942.

Linn eked out additional income by continuing to publish Linn's Stamp News on a shoestring. In 1947 Carl Rueth joined Linn on the staff of the Stamp News and took over publication in 1965 when Linn retired. Still published today, Linn's Stamp News is the world's largest weekly stamp publication, and is available online at www.linns.com.

After retiring, George W. Linn moved to a nursing home at Howey-in-the-Hills, FL, and he died 3/27/66 in a hospital in Eustis, FL.
  • edited October 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    John
    Thanks for the Linn / Linprint cachet background information.
    I will continue my research into the cachet in the above image. I am actually struggling to find any Linprint cachets for the 704-715 series on HipStamp, FeeBay and McCusker so I will probably have to find the Planty Vol. 3 book for this series APS has a copy so I will try to get the info from them.
    Mike