A follow up to Phil's earlier post regarding stamp images, etc

To avoid hijacking Phils' earlier post, I'll post this apart from his.

There is an organization out there that advocates for listing standards along with sellers' ethics. It's called the IPDA (Internet Philatelic Dealers Association, https://www.ipdastamps.com/ ). This group has been around for about twenty years and has seemingly flown under the radar a bit but hopefully that can change soon. IPDA has been focused on the attempt to help online stamp dealers with best practices for listing their material in the online marketplace. Basic imaging standards, fundamentals of proper descriptions of material, good dealer/customer communication practices are just a few of the things IPDA addresses. Phil made a great point in his post that many online dealers can take to heart. I won't put words in his mouth, but as a dealer, why can we expect a customer to buy an item when they can't even tell what it is or its condition?

But equally important, in my opinion, is to help educate the customer as to what things to look for in a quality online philatelic dealer. The "Red Flags" so to speak. Poor images of course, limited or incorrect descriptions, ambiguous store policies...those kind of things should raise the "Red Flag" for a customer that maybe things may not be quite right. This is not to say, certainly, that every listing is not up to snuff, but that maybe the customer could be better served and informed of what they are contemplating as a purchase if the item was easier to understand.

There are a lot of great online dealers not only hosted by HipStamp but on other platforms around the globe of course, but there are a few that aren't quite "there" yet.

I encourage that online stamp dealers and customers both should take a few minutes and visit the IPDA website. Dealers are encouraged to apply for membership of course as an IPDA member who follows its Code of Ethics, your sales can be enhanced through the customers' recognition of your selling standards and ethics. And from a customer point of view, you can see some things that you may not have thought about before with your online buying experience.

Having said all that, let the trashing of Greg begin. I'm a big boy...I can take it.

Hope this helps folks and I hope everyone has a great evening/morning/afternoon...wherever you are in time.
https://www.ipdastamps.com/internet-listing-and-selling-guidelines/

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited January 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    I, too, belong to IPDA: Inane Posts Devilish Antics. Strange how dealers are being schooled on how to improve their listings while we appeal for a correcting of (or even restoring) the listing process here.
  • A founding member for sure. :smile:

It's a good group Ron and I, too, (Oxford comma) belong to your IPDA evidently among other IPDAs.
  • We are IPDA members as well as ASDA members. You may note a number of my posts here are targeted at educating...
    I also hope our listings always live up to the standard. If someone finds something that doesn't, we want to hear about. We are only human, and do make mistakes form time to time.