Not Takenfree shipping

edited March 2022 in Bugs 0 LikesVote Down
Some of my items have free shipping. I do not have free shipping. Why all of a sudden does it say free shipping?

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I figured it out. This may help others. Then reason 95 of my items are now listed as free shipping is because I have it set up so when you buy $20 USA or $30 foreign you get free shipping. Hipstamp has listed free shipping on all my items, 95 of them, because the retail is over the free shipping amount. Glad I could clear that up. lol.
  • Why do HipStamp programmers think they need to "fix" things that are not broken.
  • It keeps them employed...
  • What exactly was "fixed" that wasn't broken, Wayne B? The system worked exactly as set up. Wayne A. set a free shipping threshold, and the system marked those items which were above the threshold with free shipping.
  • Ted, I am talking about this stupidity of putting up a shipping charge for a single item. Buyers should pass on those listings if they do not know that they could have a 100 such items for that same shipping charge.
  • Wayne,

Why should a buyer that is only looking for a single item bypass it just because they might be able to get more for the same shipping charge?
  • edited March 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    With the way Hipstamp lists the shipping charge how would they know they can have multiple items shipped at the same rate? As a buyer (as well as a seller) I always look at the total cost and then decide do I want to pay X amount in shipping for this 10 cent item. But I may well be willing to pay X for 10 items. The way it is now it would be too easy to assume that 10 items means 10X shipping charge.
  • If you go into the listing and look at the shipping charge, there is a line right next to it that says see details. (Click that and it will take you to the shipping page which will give you the details.) That is what it's for so you can know what the sellers charges for shipping if it's a flat charge per shipping or if they add a surcharge for multiple items.

• MIchael, first, one can barely see that little "details" tab. I know it's there and you know it's there and we both know what it means but....second, I would guess that many folks won't bother to click on it to see what "details" means if they are surfing through a bunch of item and different stores. Maybe instead of a tiny "details" it could say something like "click here for additional shipping options and promos".....maybe. And big enough for old, blind stamp collectors can actually see..
  • edited March 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Yes, Michael I know that. But some buyers may just see the same shipping charge for multiple items and not realize that they can have same the shipping charge on multiple items. HipStamp ought to include the per item charge if they think it is helpful for buyers to know a partial amount for shipping. This is another area where programmers thought "It ain't broke so lets FIX THAT!!
  • edited March 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Greg and Wayne,

Did it occur to you 2 that perhaps the buyers wanted to be able to see the basic shipping charges in the first place, to make easier on them instead of having to search for the basic charges in the first place?
  • Yes that did occur to me and I still think they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. And it was easy enough formerly for a customer to click on the shipping when they viewed something of interest and then they would get the whole story instead of just seeing that one "estimate".
  • Well you are leaving out that with the way it is set up now, if the buyer is doing a browse they can see the basic shipping WITHOUT having to actually click on each listing to see what the different rates are. That has to be a pain in the rear end if there are hundreds of the same item from multiple different sellers. How many buyers have the time to go through 200 or more listings to find the sellers that they feel have a reasonable shipping charge?
  • Ok, my point is that the basic shipping does not tell the whole story and the buyer still has to click on the tiny "details" to learn more anyway...essentially the same way they did before but at least they got a chance to view the item, front and back, and view the detailed description to see if there were even interested. Now, they just see the primary image, the basic shipping, and do the math possibly not realizing they may not have to pay that shipping if there are other items in that store they are interested in. It's just dumb and unnecessary and can turn customers off for no reason.
    You still are missing at least one thing. Are the buyers shopping for the shipping charges or are they shopping for stamps? There are sellers that do have some fairly large shipping charges and by keeping it the way it was the buyer has no way of even knowing what the basic shipping charges are without going through EACH and every listing. If you have listings that are listed by 4 different sellers is it better for the buyer to be able to see if the seller has a basic shipping charge of $1,$2, $5 or $10 for the same item without having to dig for it? Or does that actually take time away
    from the buyer to actually purchase stamps instead of searching for the shipping charges? And which is actually going to make for a happier buyer?
    Full disclosure is best and I don't see why that is so hard for HipStamp to provide. Doing so would make everyone happy. I believe most sellers have a standard shipping charge for the majority of their listings, so they wouldn't be going thru EACH and every listing, so that is not a valid argument. A seller with a $1 shipping plus $0.50 for each additional item certainly isn't my choice when buying multiple stamps vs one that charges $2 or even $5 for as many as you want or offers free shipping at a certain dollar volume. I find the majority of buyers purchase more than one stamp at a time. The way it's set up now doesn't address that reality properly.
  • John,

If you're doing a browse there is no way to know who the seller is from the thumbnail listing title. In order to find that out you would have to click on the listing itself to find that information. The shipping was NOT shown before, the ONLY way to find that out was to click on each and every single listing and then check on the shipping with each listing that the buyer is not familiar with the seller. Now with it being changed it does provide the buyer a way to thin down the number of listings that they are wanting to look at. And yes it does, you have 2 places now to check the total shipping details. Is it really such a hardship for a buyer to click those either of those links? I like to think that most of the people buying from me are bright enough to figure some of these things out especially when one of links actually says see details.

Ebay also does the same thing on the shipping, they show the sellers standard shipping and if you want to see extra details of shipping specials you have to click the shipping tab.
  • Michael you have always been able to tell the seller from the thumbnail listing. While it is not in the title, you simply pause on the listing and the seller's name appears. While they still have the ability to find the "full details" it would be much more straight forward to have the complete picture on the thumbnail. Plenty of room exists to show it. Why not?
  • But how many of the buyers are going to know that? With the basic shipping now stated they can see it a glance with out that extra step. If the rest of the shipping information is easily found, why is it needed to have it repeated again on the thumbnail? And please I am NOT asking your preference on this, I am asking only on why it would be needed.

That may be fine if the seller is only selling stamps and having simple shipping rates. Not so if you're selling supplies and you use multiple shippers. I know of 1 seller that will ship via 3 different methods via USPS alone. (ground, priority, first class parcel.)
  • I give up. Completely missing the point we're trying to make.
    Greg,

I get the point the of what you are saying, you're all upset because the information is not directly in their face and therefore it MUST be bad because the information is not where YOU think it should be. If the buyers are finding it useful and are able to find the details they need to find, what is the real issue with that. How much hand holding is Hipstamp suppose to do for people, which is what you want them to do?

By the way you have a shipping charge of $1.25 and you're getting all upset that some buyer might just not look at your items because they think your shipping of $1.25 is TOO HIGH for them. Did it ever occur to you that with this it's actually an advantage for you because your shipping is lower than most? The ironic part is the sellers who have lower shipping costs than most are the ones that are doing the most complaining about it even though it actually benefits them more than many other sellers.
  • Ok, lighten up. I am so far from upset. Like not at all upset. You sir, are putting words into my mouth and making assumptions that are just not true. Not once did I ever say or even imply that I was angry about anything. Never once did refer to my own store in any of this thread. Not once....so I don't know where you got that I am upset about that or whether or not I think I have any advantage. Since YOU brought it up, I am quite comfortable with my little store, it's quality of both product and service, and my shipping policies. My customers seem to be as well so no worries there either.

You know what....I just got baited....not going to do it. You are right Michael and I am wrong...so wrong, and, angry, and upset. Busted!!! That's me! You got me! NOW I give up.
  • Michael, my guess is 99% of the buyers know that. It's almost impossible for the seller's name not to appear prior to opening any listing when you select a stamp to view. If the purpose of putting the shipping charge in the thumbnail was to make it easier on the buyer to determine shipping costs, then they should be given the complete picture. You say they can just click on the "see details" or "Shipping" to get it (Both give the same results, so "Shipping" option could be eliminated), but why require that extra step? If you are going to improve or "fix" something to make it easier for the buyer, why do it halfway? Make it even easier by completely eliminating the need to make any additional clicks.
    Where did I say you were angry? All I said was you are upset. Upset can also just mean unhappy.

definition

upset

VERB
    make (someone) unhappy, disappointed, or worried.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=uopset&cvid=f37db3f132b544c79f5d778aa60ccdf5&aqs=edge..69i57j0l8.2619j0j1&pglt=43&FORM=ANSPA1&PC=LCTS

If you're not happy about it then you are upset. From the way you are talking about it you're not happy about it .

All I am pointing out is because the buyers can now see the basic shipping it does give you an advantage if they are shopping by the shipping. I never said anything about the quality or whether your shipping policies were bad, but again your shipping policies does you a bit advantage now if people are looking at your items by the shipping charges.
  • John,

I think you're assuming that the purpose for it was to be a be all and end for the shipping charges, and not that the purpose was to be a quick little tool for a buyer to be able to see at a glance if the seller had a shipping charge that was higher than they wanted to deal with. With some of the details that some sellers have with insurance or contacting them about registration how do you fit all of that in the thumbnail.?

Don't forget there are sellers from all over and some of the international sellers do have some higher shipping charges.
    And with the way it is set up you can see this in a glance without hovering over the picture or having to click individual listings to get a shipping charge. As a buyer if I see one seller has a shipping charge of 11 pounds from overseas and another from the US that has a charge of $3 for the same item can I bypass the one with the 11 pound charge without having to click on the listing?

• In my opinion then you guys should take this banter over to the message board! Please
  • Not trying to add more fuel to this fire, but the last six items I listed have no "Shipping Instructions" when you click on "details".
  • It appears to me that all of these unasked for changes are doing far more damage than good, and the unintended consequences (see Jeri's note) are creating vastly more things that require fixing and make using the site akin to playing "whack a mole". Why not try to provide the things that we have asked for (blocking customers for example). rather than paying someone to dream up changes for the sake of change.
  • Jeri,

Just a quick question as I looked at a number of your recently listed items did you type in a quantity in the quantity field? (If you're not it will not show the instructions but once you type in a quantity I am seeing the shipping instructions and it was that way with all of them that I looked at)
  • Michael

If you have time, search for recently listed, click on details of the Bulgaria "hare" (7th stamp). All my listings have always had that "shipping Instruction".