Not sure I'm happy with Scott anymore

Sorry for this,

-------Begin Rant---------

I just learned that Scott has gone back to their old ways. For a while they allowed for less expensive versions of individual countries as an on-line catalogue purchase. I liked having this option, I could get a single country usually in the range of $17. Now they have gone back to 6 books, subscription based, $99 a book/year. I had to send an email to ask, but the way too proud of themselves email I received implies that if you don't re-subscribe every year, you don't get access. If they weren't so expensive in the first place, I would likely buy them every year. Way to acquire a captive audience, you greedy bastards. Time to go back to used print books or just find a different catalogue to use.

WHY would I spend $99 a year for a book I can't keep unless I pay every year when I can buy a new paper copy for the same price and have it forever?

-------- END RANT-----------

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You have access to the book you have paid for online forever.
    I've got access from 2015 onward of Scott Specialized US. Yes, I've "rebought" them every year, but it doesn't go away. So if you have books you've already bought, you will still be able to access them indefinitely (or as long as the website lasts...)

But I too am annoyed with Amos Publishing (Scott), as this year they took the "Yellow Pages" out of Scott Specialized (value by grade). They supposedly are releasing a new catalog specifically to address this section, but 5 months after the new years books have been released, this price catalog has still not been released either printed nor electronically. Seems they are falling apart over there.
  • The writing on the wall that I see is that they are splitting the catalogues into smaller sections. Why? Because they have priced themselves out of selling the complete volumes, plus selling all the small sections will bring them more money since they will charge around half per small section of what the single volumes cost for just one part. example is the upcoming UN Specialty catalogue, which I believe will retail for $40. The UN will be removed from the US Specialized, making the US Specialized more expensive by virtue of it having less in it. The new UN Specialized will likely have some more things in it, but will it be worth the price? Watch for more of these single country and regional catalogues coming until the standard 6 volume goes away.
  • "We are grateful for your feedback. You told us you want better search capabilities, better navigation and, most important, the latest Scott catalog values."

Gee, nowhere do they mention all the people who demanded to pay $99 for just one year of access to one volume.
  • That is my problem, Michael. They did away with the individual country catalogues. I need US and Germany. I bought those two for two consecutive years because at $17/year/country they were affordable for me. Those days are gone. We are back to $99/year/volume and if you don't continue to pay, you lose access. There are very few, that I know of, that bought 6 volumes every year. As you noted they also separated the UN into its own volume now. So, if you want it all, I guess we're up to 7 now or do we just assume that no one has interest in the UN? I also think that some time back they took the values section out of the specialized and made that a book.

They have gone the way of big software. Subscription based, forced upgrades, smaller sections (like software modules), lots of money and made up statistics about what the customers want. They don't seem to want to acknowledge that the hobby as a whole is shrinking. Instead of forcing the upgrades, they need to recognize the problem for what it is. Do we really need updated prices every year? How about they release a new catalogue every other year or every third year? The prices don't change that much. They are going to mess around and put themselves out of the market. I also think they are trying to force the digital because they raised the price of the paper books. Would not surprise me if the paper books go away in a couple years.
  • I can’t see that they’re forcing digital because of the price of hardcopy. There’s only a $5 difference. The thing is, if it’s going to be a subscription model, it should be for the worldwide catalogue, not individual volumes; and it should be for a reasonable price. $99 for one volume for 1 year of access is just plain stupid. Microsoft doesn’t charge me $7 a month for Word, plus another $7 a month for Excel, plus $7 a month each for Power Point, Access, and Publisher. I get the whole suite for $7 a month, and the software is upgraded when upgrades are available, not at some random annual date.

Do we really need updated prices every year? No. We need updated prices as soon as they are determined, every day if they have them. If a stamp from Australia suddenly sees a price increase in May, why wait until the following April to update the catalogue. Take advantage of this technology; update prices as they occur. After all, that is where the majority of the ongoing production cost is, for these catalogues (I’m guessing).

All of the advantages Scott is touting for the new subscription model are exactly the same advantages one would experience with the old purchase model. I don’t know who they think they’re fooling with their breathless excitement.

By the way, I’m not just venting here. I wrote to them expressing my feelings. I’m not holding my breath waiting for a response.

• I did the same. I received a reply the next day. The valid questions I asked were answered. The complaints that I disguised as questions were ignored. They didn't say anything that was satisfying.
  • Strange but it seems they are keeping the Scott Specialized for US out of the mix? When I look at it is says it's their most popular catalog, but there is no option to "subscribe" to it.
  • I got a reply saying my comments were being forwarded to upper management. I just hope one of them is not named Guido; I wasn’t very complimentary to them. LOL
  • All seriousness aside, with this new model, isn’t the contrivance of having 6 volumes obsolete? That was something necessitated by the sheer size of the physical catalog.
    If they made the whole world available for $99 a year, I bet Greg’s last dollar they would get more than the combined subscribers they’ll get with the current plan.
  • Absolutely. I'd do $99/year for the whole thing. Make it a true database rather than a searchable PDF catalogue of 6 volumes. Then they could do on the fly updates for values and new varieties and and and ...

In fact there would be no need for specialized catalogues with a database format. One stamp entry could contain all about the stamp. Very wishful thinking on my part.