Never Seen This Before

IMG_0657
Here's something I've never seen before: two different stamps attached to each other. I can't imagine the headaches that must occur printing these. I'm guessing one row green the next row red and so on. But who knows. Anyway it's a real curiosity.

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited April 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    These are from a booklet pane. Look at Scott #82 (I think)
  • John, philatelically, this would be described as a "Se Tenant pair".
  • Yea, but a se tenant pair of two different stamps!!? I've seen lots of se tenant pairs of identical stamps. That's what's new to me.
  • This is very common in German philately, they are called "zusamendruke", or "printed together." They take a particular joy in it, and there are hundreds of combinations over the years. And they are only found in booklet pane printings. They are a popular collecting field in Europe, not so much here.
  • Well, they are two different denominations. Not two different stamps. Just a se tenant pair from a booklet pane (one of Scott 82e, 82f, or 82g). I don't have my Michel in front of me right now but all those booklet panes have some 5pf and 10pf in different configurations.
  • News to me. Thanks.
  • So yours is a se tenant pair from Scott 82f then. Either the left or center pair. Can't tell which one though but doesn't really matter.
  • John, your stamps are fully perfed, I know that in Switzerland collectors could buy full sheets of booklet stamps before the edges were cut. That may be the case here. I wish I knew more about these, I think they are really nice looking, bit there's so much else to collect....
  • John, by definition "se tenant" means two different stamps. That can be minor change, like the denomination, but if they were identical, they'd just be pairs. Different color printing is also possible. In modern stamps, multi-colors within the same stamp, while having different designs side-by-side (or over/under) are common. Just depends on the country.
  • I bought a lot of forever stamps when they were .37 each and I still have a lot since I hardly use stamps any more except for shipping but they are still more then the price I paid the last time I bought discount postage at 50 cents on the dollar.
  • The US has done this too.(Scott 1623Bc), as have other countries (see Great Britain Machin booklets as another example)..

The Germania booklets and pairs like you have are a collecting area.
  • edited April 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    I have seen full sheets of these booklets for sale through the years.
  • That's pretty common. The Germans LOVED to do that a century ago.