Stamp Art

I just found out about this discussion site (thanks Luree) and wanted to share something a bit different. I am an avid collector of U.S. stamps - with my latest focus on 19th century. I love it but it gets a bit expensive. So in between my buying binges, I love to still work with stamps. So I started doing some stamp art. I know there are alot of very detailed stamp artist out there (that is not me). But I just like the simple sillouettes with themed stamps that I think make some very nice pictures. I thought I would share some of these with folks. I have about 20 pieces and still thinking of some others. If anyone wants to see more - let me know. I hope you enjoy. Flower
Butterfly
USA Country Flag
Church

Comments

• 95 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I could not resist using the latest USPS Pony Car stamps - here is draft stamp art piece with the Classic mustang silhouette along with all the symbols of the Pony cars used in the stamp sheet. Took 2 sheets to fill in everything.
    I was about 5 or 6 years old when the first Mustang came out. But I do remember a neighbor of ours came home with one a few years later and the whole neighborhood was over there checking it out right away. Very nice!
    Anyway - some of you might be pony car fans. I hope you enjoy this one! Any suggested improvements - let me know.
    Happy Labor Day weekend!
    Pony Car - stamp art
  • These are great, Mark. Not that you're taking a poll or anything, but my favorite of these is the church.
  • Here is another stamp art - Ben Franklin (suggested by Scott Payton). Stamps are mostly from US - but I found several from other countries honoring him over the years -- France, Canada, Cuba, Argentina, Sweden, Turkey, and Marshall Islands. I also found out that Ben's favorite color was green - thus the green (although light) background.
    I probably need to put a darker background on it so you can see the detail around the face and collar, etc. Will see if that is better. In the meantime - wanted to share. Working on horse and penguins next.
    Hope everyone is doing well. Ben Franklin
  • I updated the Beatles pic to provide a bit more definition of each person's outline. I think it is a little better. This one was really a challenge --- but at least the background is groovy! Beatles (B)
  • Nice. You should put them on a wall in Rushmore Order, and take a shot of that. :)
  • Thanks!
    Scott - glad you like the owls. I forgot that you suggested this one quite a while ago but then my granddaughter recently asked me to do an owl. Glad I did - there were lots of stamps available - once again, I overbought!!
    Jeri - the actual placing of the stamps is the easiest part. Finding the silhouette to use usually takes a while and then choosing and cutting the background is the next challenge. Finally - the most fun is going thru Hipstamps and finding all the appropriate stamps. Most sellers (like Luree) are awesome and send them right away (I get them within a week). So - by the time the stamps arrive, I have made the template and bought the frame and ready to place the stamps. A few hours later - complete.
    Thanks again - have a great day!!
  • Both Nessie and Koala are not doable - not enough stamps (Nessie - there were none! Whhaaattt?)

Here is my stamp art wall (with a closer shot of the Mt. Rushmore pics). Not the best since very difficult to take a good pic without the reflections on the frame glass. Anyway - you can get a sense.
    Any other ideas - send them on. Running out of room though!!
    Mark S.
    stamp wall1
    stamp wall2
  • Thanks for the kind words and great suggestions. Actually, I just opened a store on Hipstamps (named it Scheffler's Schtamps) in order to try and sell alot of the extra stamps I have. I am definitely a newbie at listing, etc. However, getting better.
    I think I might list one or two stamp art pics just to see what might happen.
    Thanks again. Stamp store
  • Mine was a Dodge Charger with Cragar S/S mags, 60's in the back and 70's up front, and Doug Thorley side pipes. Great job! Brought back all sorts of memories!
  • Mine was a Firebird with a 400. Holley double pumper. Loud and fast. Loved it. It got 8 MPG.
  • Funny that...I was rolling in a 1971 Cougar XR7 back in the day. Black orange peel Krylon paint job with plenty of Bondo. 351 Cleveland block, Holley double pumpers. Kelley Springfield Super Chargers. Cheap tires that would melt on contact with the Houston roads but more likely because of the burnouts. But at $20 bucks a pop, I could afford to keep tires on the dang thing. Melted several Back in Black 8-tracks in it over the years. A little Flirtin' With Disaster (Molly Hatchet) and of course Rush and Queen.

That dang ragtop is HOT. Where can I buy it!!!!!! Was it at Mecom recently?
  • I had a '65 Ford Mustang GT convertible, a '68 Firebird Sprint with a V-8, a '68 Dodge Charger RT, a '69 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with the drag pack option and a 428 tri-power, a '69 Plymouth Road Runner and finally a '76 COPO IROC Camaro. I was buying them, drove them around for a while
    Then I got married in '83.
  • These are very cool !
  • So cool. Love them all. Do you have a store here? If so, please add the link.
  • Very nice! I love stamp art the way that you've done it.
  • Here are a few more. The first one is a jigsaw puzzle of US president stamps that I put together and then placed the actual stamp on the front of the picture. Turned out pretty cool. I have this one in my office.
    The rest are some of the other sillouette stamp art that I completed to date. None are for sale at this time. Just doing it for enjoyment. Maybe one day.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Jigsaw
    Love Heart
    Virgin Mary
    Train
    Dogs
    Monster stamps
  • Very nice. Great usage of "common" stamps.
  • Here are the rest of the stamp art pieces I have. Hope you enjoy. Any comments welcome!
    ThanksCat
    Elephant
    Heart
    Jesus
  • Do you do requests? :)
  • edited May 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    You should think about selling these. I'll bet it would be worth your while.
  • Here is a different version of "stamp art" from 1933. I have seen others from Japan and China as well.
    https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/usa-canada-1933-stamps-cut-into-birds-on-stamptex-birthday-card-stamp-art/46054297
  • That is very unique. Thanks for sharing.
  • Latest one - Queen Elizabeth II - beginning of 70 yr Jubilee. Mostly GB stamps (lots of machins) but also stamps from Australia, NZ, Canada, Hong Kong, Rhodesia, etc. Most are very recognizable and also attractive.
    Beatles up next. Queen Elizabeth(stamppic)
  • OK - here are the final two presidents to complete the Mount Rushmore grand slam! - Jefferson and Roosevelt.
    These were more difficult due to the lack of different stamps available - U.S. or other. Had to resort to using several duplicates. Anyway - here you go.
    That will do it for my stamp artwork for a while. Moving on to my Pope John Paul II Travels album. (documenting his 104 trips outside Italy while he was pope over 25 years. Have all the stamps issued by the host countries - but only have 38 trips documented to date! Good thing I am retired!)
    Happy collecting!
    T. Roosevelt
    Thomas Jefferson
  • Thanks. I plan on doing that. Actually, I have a wall in my game room that I am going to hang all the stamp art on. I have about 24 of them. So - will need to get to work.
    Have a great day!
  • Been out of pocket for a while - but wanted to share a few more stamp art pieces.
    Owl, fish, rocket
    The fish one is a little different since the background is supposed to be like an aquarium. And the fish are very specific to match what my daughter has in her fish collection - Discus (like big angel fish - on the left), Ranchu (like giant goldfish - on the right) and Siamese fighting fish (towards the bottom). Of course, the stamps include some of these fish but mostly other types.
    The rocket one is one of my favorites - such diverse style/size of stamps and alot from the former Soviet block countries (60s & 70's) - due to the space race. I over bought on this one since there were so many cool stamps out there - probably will need to make another rocket piece at some point. Also - the flame was made with miscellaneous red stamps.

Only one more in the works - Pony Car pic based on the new US stamp that is coming out soon.
    Will also provide a picture of the final wall of stamp art at that time.
    Have a great rest of the week.
    owl
    fish
    Rocket - final(2)
  • Ahhh... there you go tugging at the sentimental. Owl is my FAVORITE animal. Has been from my earliest memory. I love seeing them in the wild. I remember them living in our barn and the most amazing I've ever seen in the wild, a snow owl. Wish digital cameras had been made back then...
  • Koala might be cool. I will investigate - thanks.
  • Ok, you're a genius.
    Wow.
    If you ever want to sell Ben, let me know. I will buy him.
  • Scott - I just listed the Ben Franklin stamp art piece. I think you had mentioned interest. This is my first stamp art listing in my new store. Here is the link.
    https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/original-stamp-art-benjamin-franklin-bust-filled-with-over-40-franklin-stamps/47498790