Is this seller practice appropriate?

A seller is offering a certificated stamp, but the display page doesn’t include a photo of the certificate. When I asked the seller for a picture of the certificate, they responded:

“no problem I will process the image if we agree to a price assuming cert is all good

processing the cert image requires us to put an order to ship the item from storage location to image processing location, so it is a complicated process. Therefore, we will do it if we will have a sale on the item“

This doesn’t seem right. Am I missing something?

Comments

• 67 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think you're missing anything. That's an absolutely bizarre business practice.
  • I wouldn't touch that with Mouse's nose. Simple enough request to ask for an image of the cert. In fact, if this is a HipStamp dealer, they could be in violation of the T&C's. Not sure on that either way but it sure smells bad to me...and I know bad smells.
  • Always trust your nose
  • Something is very fishy about this.
  • "...and I know bad smells." Change out the kitty litter?
  • Every evening my wife changes it and brings me the bag as a gift (I think). It gives me something to look forward to each day.
  • You had to know this was coming...

• So, it seems like the consensus is that is bad practice and the seller should be avoided. I’ve referred the matter to Hip support, asking if it’s a violation of their policies.

Now, the big question—do I reveal here who the seller is? I have presented the objective facts without any criticism.
  • I know it's been "practice" not to do so, but honestly, I think calling out the crap dealers (and we have on occasion), makes the market here a better place. They either clean up their act, or they stop selling.
    There should be more of this practice and less coddling in my view.
  • I can understand what you are saying, Scott, but, this is a public forum and to give a name out is not such a super great idea. Just my humble opinion.

If we want to know who this seller is, we can message Ken and ask.
  • i totally agree Luree. it opens a big can of worms. Personally, i rarely do it. Prevents legal issues for complainer and the site also. I'm sure some exceptions exist. :-)
  • I think I know because I had a similar experience where I asked for a photo of the reverse side of a high end stamp I was about to buy and they said it was in another location and I would get my money back if I did not like it. They were very shifty. It was really a known dealer wit this reputation.
  • If I were listing an item with a cert, I would list it with a scan of the cert, but then I'm a one man band and the safety deposit box is only a km away from my office if I have something stored in the satefy deposit box. A good cert to me would be a plus in any listing. I would be leery of comitting to buy anything before actually seeing the cert.
  • some exceptions would of course be posting comments about selling fake, forged, manipilated, or mis-IDed stamps and of course one can simply provide a link to that item here- a link should be ok as it expires eventually.. This prevents Google from indexing the comment and putting it (the seller's name) on the internet for an eternity. my opinion only.
  • So here’s the response from Hipstamp:

Thank you for raising this to our attention.

Since sellers generally manage their own listings, they also establish their own terms to the buyers for as long as it is within the terms of service of Hip. I see requests to sellers pretty commonly related to certification which usually is up to the seller to accommodate if they are eager to close a sale.

"Please note that if you have received an item that is significantly different than as described, the Seller will need to accept a return of the item in accordance with PayPal's terms and conditions. Ultimately, it will your decision if what the seller had proposed is something amenable to you.

If you have further issues with this transaction with the seller, let me know and I can escalate accordingly to our Trust & Safety team who reviews cases like this further."

Very disappointing.
  • So essentially (and quoting the famous Michael Dodd)....Caveat Emptor!!!!!
  • Apparently so. I had hoped management would have been a little more critical of the practice. But then Hipstamp benefits greatly from this seller’s overpriced products.
  • edited June 2022 4 LikesVote Down
    I would love to see the item in question. Can we see the link?

And just so I can get my spit into this pot, all this hokum about one location and another is wet cow paddies. Every other dealer on any site would be proud to show a matching, legitimate certificate with the item. This is standard procedure. Why is this guy special? "We didn't have time to scan the cert?" "Buy the stamp and we'll show the cert?" "We couldn't afford the extra picture?"

Bullshit. I hope the dealer in question is reading this. So let me repeat myself: bullshit.
  • WOW!!!! 1st Quarter 2022 SMQ Graded Report has that 573 at $400 for xf-sup 95. I get it....everyone can price their items any way they want but almost twice current market seems....well..... Looks like a really nice example but no image of the back or the cert? And for that much you still get pay for shipping to the US for anywhere between $2.75 and $23 in addition to all the "hair" on the deal. Oh well....I'll pass. I'll probably get in trouble for this post but I haven't been in trouble in a while so......
  • Well, my comment is this: I bought a "MNH $5 Columbian - #245" from this dealer back in 2013. I paid $2000 for it. It took ages for it to arrive (5 weeks if memory serves correctly). A couple months later I had it certed and it came back as a regum. Meaning, I had paid MNH cost for a stamp that is essentially No Gum. I contacted them as soon as I got it back and told them what the cert stated. Their response was "It's past our 30 day return policy", and nothing more. Essentially it was a "go f-yourself".
    I have never bought from them again. They are not ASDA members, and this is a great deal why. Like a couple other "big guy" stamp sellers that are ethically challenged, I have always dissuaded collectors to avoid them for the simple fact that, buying elsewhere eventually sends the message that you can't flog crap (knowingly or unknowingly, and believe me, they know...) without expecting a backlash as a result. Now if you describe it appropriately, then fine, I can make an informed decision about it's value. If you're mistaken about it, then own it, and we all know in this game getting certs back can take 3 to 4 months, or longer. So don't deal with "sellers" that have no policy for certing and won't accept it.

We have a policy that we will take a stamp back at any time, so long as it is in the same condition it was, if it is found to be not as described. We OWN it. The dealers that won't, know they are just preying on the unsuspecting. It's what gives this industry a black eye.

I have been vocal about "Don't buy from these guys" for years -- where "guys" references 4 or 5 sellers (one of which is now out of the market after passing away, and was just as big if not bigger a culprit as this one.
    Ken... my advice is RUN RUN RUN away, as Mr. Bravo suggested.
  • Thanks. There was never a chance in hell that I would succumb to his practice of "buy now/see later." I wish there were a better way to discuss this type of bizzare practice, especially when it's well documented. And Hipstamp could do a better job, too. Until then, it's just the wild west out there.
  • Ken, I agree that it can be the wild west at times. But in a shameless plug for IPDA (https://www.ipdastamps.com/) especially and a few other groups, a customer can have some assurance of an ethical dealer/customer experience. You may notice my difference from the commonly used terminology of "seller and buyer" and "Dealer and Customer". There is, in my humble opinion, a big difference between the two. Seek out the ethical dealers out there (there are plenty) and avoid the "sellers". My opinion and I'll own it.
  • Yes this guy is a complete jerk and has been sliding crap out for years.
    He also advertises in the APS journal so I would assume he is a member but maybe not.
  • My own practice on selling Mint-Never-Hinged items is that if the catalog value in Scott is over $200, then I will have the gum authenticated as Mint-Never-Hinged before I would sell it as such. I have a number of early Canadian stamps, a few early Austrian stamps and a number of German stamps including copies of the 1930's airmail stamps all in Mint-Never-Hinged condition with several cataloging well over $1000. All will remain unlisted until I get them authenticated. Legitimate dealers will have such items authenticated with certificates available and pictured if sold individually.
  • BINGO. ---> DING DING DING! download
  • Good point Greg. I should have mentioned IPDA as well when I mentioned ASDA. Old habit, hard to break.
    They are so shifty. I see their name, and I always just move on to another stamp. Used to do that with "Billsbarganbasement" as well... It is now gone from all the platforms that I use... One day, this one will be too.
  • Thanks everyone for the good discussion. Scott - I have bought from both of the sellers that you mention and have had mixed luck. I have stopped buying from the one that is mentioned in the link Ken shared because of some shady practices I kept seeing. BTW - how does this guy get all these (apparently) really nice stamps? He has a huge inventory!! Anyway - I was wondering who the other 4-5 sellers were that you would not deal with. If you can share via email - let me know. Thanks alot.