Ubangi

Can someone give me a Scott number for this one? Why does it have two overprints which seem to conflict?23

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • OH I see now that it is Scott number 41. Does anyone know why it has these two overprints??
  • OH I see now that it is Scott number 41. Does anyone know why it has these two overprints?? How do I delete this duplicate comment?
  • It started out as a French Middle Congo issue (buried under the bottom overprint). Then was over-printed as an Oubangui Chari issue because sufficient stock was available for this purpose. The Middle Congo and Oubangui Chari were both issuing postage stamps simultaneously.

Oubangui Chari was then incorporated into French Equatorial Africa in the mid-1930's along with Gabon, Middle Congo and Chad, so the Oubangui Chari stock still available was overprinted to allow for use in the newly created territory.

See the description in the Scott Catalog at the very front of the French Equatorial Africa listings for the best description of the this process.
  • Thank you so much Richard. Appreciate it.
  • Along these same lines, I have what appears to be a Ubangi #62 surcharged 60. It's not listed in Scott under Ubangi. Can anyone help me to identify and value this stamp?