Post Card UX27 Die Variety ?

edited October 2022 in Questions 0 LikesVote Down
I have a U.S. Post card Scott UX27 that has a line behind thew queue of Jefferson that i have never seen on any other UX27. Is this some type of die variety or just a minor printing anomaly? Could it just be an uninked area? F0C92B36-899C-4887-A448-E0602A3D0C9A
15FA94BE-0050-429D-9642-6858D25B1F37
BAEE3D33-C79D-4B9E-AFD1-71FAA396657E_1_201_a

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can you post an image of the entire card?
  • 1AAED144-5436-4877-B7DF-55FF35EECB7F
    Entire Post Card
  • I would think that this is a case of a foreign object, such as a sliver of paper, getting caught between the card stock and the printing plate, causing an un-inked area. Its a neat freak, and 'good eye' catching it !
  • Could you define it as an ink skip perhaps ( as an area not filled in?). Agree, if many found could be a "new" variety ...called the "Misner variation" or "hair loose" variety
  • I think George hit it on the head. The closeup is the real reveal. Look at the oval around it. The back of the lock of hair doesn't come in to touch the base of the rest of the hair. And if you look below that, you can see that the oval around the head also has the appearance of a slight indent. So whatever blocked it also extended into that oval. That's not an under inking or ink skip, it's a foreign object that's interfering with the ink.

In those days it was common that a lot of large particles would float around in the air like bits of harvested plants. Most likely, something like that just landed on the card while it was being printed. Then blew away later, or fell off as soon as the card was vertical.
  • Good catch on the indent on the lower oval...Thank you