How do these stats sound?

Still playing with getting some data in a file download ( I'm just a bit challenged at this kind of stuff). However, I pretty easily counted stamp offerings with at least one view for active listings forI posted from August 1 to now. I counted 175 listings with at least one view for those added since then. Total added and not sold for that period around 325.

How can I interpret this, if at all?

Way too much time on my hands. Should I just stick to tying trout flies and building period wooden sailing ship models? Oh wait...I need to vote.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • John,

I guess I just don't worry too much about views anymore or even watchers for that matter. The fact that you have half as many items viewed as listed I guess could be interpretated to mean folks are looking at your offerings.
  • Agree with Greg... never look at the "Views" or "Watchers". Never know why people are "watching" in the first place, but my experience is that 99% of them aren't buyers.

So I just don't even follow those stats. They are really meaningless. The stat I follow is sales.
    That's it.
  • In which case.....sssssssssssssssssss
  • I agree with Greg and Scott views mean nothing as do watchers. The only thing you can get from it is that people are at least looking.
  • Not to disagree with the experts. But my watching list is always built out of stamps that I intended to buy. I learn things from watching the prices change from the sellers. It also helps me focus on the 7 US stamps that I can hopefully afford to buy one day.
  • Bob, I agree that from a customer's point of view it can be very useful. But from a dealers point of view, it really doesn't mean much that is useful.
  • Exactly. So just curious Bob, you are focused on 7 stamps, but how many then are you watching? Are you watching multiple of the same stamp from different sellers? Waiting for a deal or just to see what they sell?
    As Greg says, that all makes sense as a buyer, it's useful, it's another way of having a "Wish list" without a wish list.
    But for sellers, this isn't an indicator of anything. I "watch" a lot of stamps that I know do not match the sellers description. I will message them, and wait for them to do the right thing. If they don't I report them to Hipstamp. I have 0 intention of buying them, but I want to keep track to help ensure others don't get ripped off.
    There are MANY useful uses of "Watching" but it's not a helpful metric to sellers as a result.
  • Scott I watch all stamps that I consider within my price range of the 7. Now 6. Thanks Scott. So sometimes different sellers. But not often.