Question for sellers re: multiple listings of same stamp

I have several multiple listings of the same stamp. I also have at least one backup in the reserves. How many other sellers do this.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just a guess: 17
  • Too darned many.
  • 3 times Pi squared is my guess. Seriously though. My rule is simple. If I have multiples of low(er) value stamps that are all essentially the same condition (centering, gum, hinge status, etc), I will list them as multiples available in one listing. If the items are more than a couple of dollars and/or have any significant differences in condition (see above and include postmark quality differences for used), they get their own listings. Easy enough.

It takes enough time to list individual items without having to list twenty stamps separately if they are essentially all the same thing.
  • John my advice for you is to list as many or a few as you desire. While some may not like you listing multiples, many others do. Within the last hour I sold 4 copies of the same stamp to a buyer. If someone had told me to only list of 2 or 3, I wouldn't have made the sale of an extra stamp or two.

Several persons have criticized me for multiple listings, it's not uncommon for me to sell 10 or more of the same stamp to either the same buyer or different buyers on the same day. Sometimes many more. I'm talking in the hundreds at times.

While I might have previously listed 100 copies of the same stamp before listing additional copies, it's often the newer ones listed that sell first. Simple fact is, if it's not listed, you can't sell it.
  • Ted....your number suggests it is more than a guess. Please share your research.
    Phil....why do you say this.
    Greg...makes sense.
    John...I'm jealous.

Thanks Folks!
  • Trout,

Ted knows something none of us know and so does Phil. John E's store is a cat of a different color with respect to mine, Ted's, and yours, and most others. He has by far the largest number of listings of any HipStamp store (521,822 items as of this writing)...twice as many as the runner up and has been doing this for a long time. He probably sells as many items in one day than you have in your entire store. Nothing wrong with that and like he said...you be you. He works very hard at it I'm sure. Whatever you're comfortable with how you deal with multiples is cool.

Visual examples of how I deal with multiples might help.
    First listing is three copies of Algeria C9. All essentially the same stamp in the same condition. A customer can order one, two, or all three in one fell swoop from the one listing.
    Algeria C9

Next is an Italy-Trieste 244. While they are the same stamp in the same condition, they are quite different because of the selvage. No difference in price or anything else though. A customer can choose, in this case, between the two.
    I-T 244
  • edited November 2022 2 LikesVote Down
    My listing philosophy is like Greg’s. When I have several of the same low value single stamp in similar condition (e.g. MNH, OG, with F-VF or better centering), I create a single listing with a generic scan for the quantity of stamps I have available. MNH stamps with less than F-VF centering or unique selvage attached require a separate listing as do all plate blocks, booklets, booklet panes and FDCs. Stamps priced over $1.00 sell better regardless of their condition when they have a unique listing with a front and back scan.
    All used stamps are unique due to their cancellation and generally require a separate listing even when the sales price is as low as a nickel. I make an exception for CTO stamps issued by Russia and other East European countries. These stamps typically have clean corner cancels and I will list multiple quantities of a single Scott number with a generic scan supported by a comment in the lot description stating that the stamp I ship will be F-VF but the CTO cancel may appear in a different corner.
    While I agree that you can't sell it if you don't list it, I am one of those HipStamp users who gets aggravated when I see 100's of separate listings of the same low value used stamp (album weeds) posted by a seller. I limit my listings of used stamps to no more than 3 or 4 of the same Scott number regardless of the number I have in stock and I do quite well.
  • Thanks Bob
    I seldom list anything for less than $2. Tell me more about "unique listing".
  • Unique listing: 1stamp - 1 listing