Why such wide range of values in First Day Covers?

I've acquired several first day covers from some smaller collections I've acquired locally. While I await final auctions results I thought I'd take a look at these and maybe post a few on my store. To start, I looked up first day cover offerings on this site and see them ranging from single digits to several dollars. I intend to do some more research on line, but wonder if some sellers can give me a head start.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I spent a bit of time looking around for some info. From what I can glean, at some point people were able to buy first day covers (Artcraft) by ordering in advance. So much for anything close to collectible IMO. Crash and burn. Sad.

• John,
    There is value in FDC, but like the rest of philately, you have to KNOW your subject material. Artcraft yes, are interesting and beautiful cachets, but the value in anything in philately is scarcity. Your follow-up comment notes you've now discovered that.
    There can still be value in an FDC, or other covers though that far exceed the value of the cover.
    While this cover isn't an FDC, it recently sold for $70,000.

Other covers, regardless of their FDC status may have added value for special reasons. I sold a rather ordinary looking cover with a C10 on it (about the same value as a garden variety FDC), for $5,000. Why? Because it had Charles Lindbergh's signature on the cover, of his first airmail flight ever.

Covers need special attention to detail to find the ones that are really valuable. FDCs are no different. But garden variety FDC on a post card stamped First Day Cover from the post office on day of issue for stamps post 1940... not much value there.
  • Scott is right. But surprises always happen. Many years ago I bought a collection that consisted mostly of Fluegel, Ioor, etc cachets. When It arrived in the mail I discovered the collector had thrown in 500 or so Artcraft and Artmaster FDCs.
    I stared at them for a long time. Finally, since they were "free" I posted them at a low price. To my surprise (perhaps chagrin too) they went like hotcakes. Stuff that I actually had considered throwing away was actually wanted (shall I say prized?) by some. Today I don't turn up my nose at Artcraft, Artmaster, PCS (the Sunday Supplement people) any more. That's why collecting/selling in general and FDCs in particular are so much fun!