Blueish paper on the right ? I going to get the stamp certificate if this is the blueish

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Scott?????
  • I think we need to get a shot of the back for Scott to see.
  • At least. And that orange paper thing he has. Probably a lot easier to tell with that eh.
  • Correction Scott 361
  • edited December 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    No need for any paper comparison. It is not a bluish paper beyond doubt.
    Why?
    1)
    It's Perf 10.
    Bluish only appears on Perf 12.

or 2)
    No bluish paper stamps were precancelled.

This is either a 428 (Single Line water mark) or a 466 (No watermark). Can't be anything else.
  • The paper is blue but ok
  • I counted 12x11 or what am I missing
  • edited December 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Did you use a perforation gauge? Perforations are measured by the number of holes in 2 centimeters. Exactly. The first number is for the top and bottom. The second is for the sides. If there is only one number, it is for all. US 361 is perf 12 on all four sides. Many experienced collectors can eyeball the difference between perf 10 and perf 12.
  • Doesn't matter. See my 2nd point. NO bluish paper stamps were precancelled.
    I will amend my statement about Perf 10, I don't think I'm wrong, but at worst it's perf 11, which is still not perf 12. So, refer to1st point.
    If Perf 11, it's a 504, used CV of .35c

But I'd take bets that I'm right, it's a perf 10...

• Shawn, always assume it is not what you think it is. Although logical, emotionally it is difficult to acknowledge that the "rare" is profoundly less frequent than the "common". The gentlemen here are exactly correct. You need to perf it exactly and check watermark.Millions and millions of collectors look for that "one'. Bluish paper can occur for many reasons, ink wash off from soaking of another stamp or cancellation ink in the water when soaking in the last century.
  • Shawn,
    I see you have just joined Hipstamp a couple of days ago.
    Let me refer you to this thread that I wrote last year. At the end of this discussion, I show how to identify bluish paper (which is actually more grey than blue, due to the rag stock that was used in an experiment in 1908 to make cheaper stamp paper).

https://www.hipstamp.com/forums/discussion/4229/franklin-washington-taming-the-beast-part-2-press-and-paper-ids#latest

One thing about bluish paper as well is that it is noticeably thicker than regular stamp paper, even if you have no experience with them. If you have the two stamps shown in your image, the paper will feel indistinguishable if your are holding them between your finger, and just move them a bit to feel the resistance the paper offers. In the bluish paper, that resistance will be obvious. But the orange background image that others mentioned, is demonstrated in this article as well.

Also, understand that the 5c bluish is a rare stamp. I might even go so far as to say a very rare stamp. There are only 5 known used examples, 3 on cover, and 2 off cover. It's not out of the realm of possibility that another could surface, but it would be like winning the lottery to find it. Realize, used, this is a $17,500 stamp. The probability that you have one in your collection is around 1 in 5,000,000. You have better odds on a roulette table.