A question for customers....

I thought I would open a new can of worms this morning and when I did, this question popped out of it (along with the worms).

With the APS store now active on the HipStamp platform along with the upcoming APS "badging" at some point, I thought that the question is both timely and relevant.

From a customer's point of view, how important is it for you to buy from an accredited dealer and why? ASDA, IPDA, APS Dealer Member, etc? I.e., dealers whose membership obliges them to follow an established Code of Ethics and certain listing policies.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good question, Greg, but what if a seller isn't part of the above clubs but still has a high code of ethics?

Does that mean I am SOL? Or does my reputation weigh in?
  • Membership in a professional group is not essential for me, I have a great relationship with a dealer that does not claim membership, but it has become more important for me when I try new dealers. I have several times come across sellers that are unprofessional in one way or another. Timeliness, invoices, under packing, over packing, materials, absent stock, refunds. jeez, once even proper postage. I ain't nitpicking, these are issues, and dealers that make the effort to be professional are more likely to belong to a
    professional group.

• Luree, the question is really directed towards the customer. Nowhere did I imply that non-accredited dealers can any more or less reputable than those who are. The word "obliges" is important here in that if a member of a dealer association acts contrary to the association's code of ethics, they can face negative consequences with their membership status. But this a simple question for the customer not really the dealer.
  • I got it, had it before. I was just saying, to be seen as a professional seller does it really depend on me belonging to another club? This really is rhetorical for right now. My mind wonders at times. I just don't want to be lost in the quagmire because of a club thing.
  • To Greg's initial question and just the preferences of an unknown customer - the only time I will exclusively buy from a dealer with these accreditations is when I am seeking US stamps that have a history of counterfeiting. For example, I have now completed the 1929 Kansas-Nebraska overprint series (mint) and have bought every single one of those from a dealer with these accreditations. I know there are plenty of others out there that are reputable, but I didn't want to take the chance. You can only gleam so much from the images and descriptions that are provided and I don't like the hassles of returns or disputes.
    For everything else, I buy from anyone that has what I'm looking for at a good value and quality.
  • Luree, I am a member of all 3 of above mentioned organizations. I'm not picking on you, but the word "Club" isn't really what these associations are. One of their key points is to provide buyers with some level of comfort/confidence that if they buy from a dealer who is a member of any of these organizations mentioned (clubs are quite different) that they can be assured that if they find someone is genuinely ripping them off (and it does and has happened), that the association will put pressure on that dealer to "make it right". Being expelled from one of these organizations is a big deal, and very quickly, everyone knows. It's not specifically a "guarantee", but it does help a lot in demonstrating that if you are a member of these groups, that you abide by their established rules. (All of them being rule #1 - Don't rip people off (paraphrasing).
    Does that mean that you are only deemed worthy if you are a member? Of course not. And if you've spent years building a reputation with your client base, then no sticker is going to change that. But these memberships come with many other benefits (especially ASDA, which is also the most expensive to join in this group), like joint buying power in places like office depot (useful to stamp dealers), travel and lodging discounts (useful if you do shows), listing in their website and events (essentially free publicity), they are behind you as a dealer. APS and IPDA also have their benefits, which are different from ASDA and each other, beyond just confidence for buyers.
    This business, reputation is EVERYTHING.
    These just let others know that your ethics are recognized, hopefully making it easier for new buyers to find you comfortably approachable. Ask yourself, "Where do my buyers/collectors" come from? (i.e. how do they find you).
    Then build your relationships.
  • As a customer here, the bagging really does not matter much to me. I know most of the US dealers here by now and I know who to trust
  • Can't resist throwing my 2c in on this. As a buyer I don't pay attention to credentials except maybe as one factor to gauge knowledge. Unfortunately I've been ripped off at lease once by those with and without credentials. On the flip side, I've had just as many great purchase experiences with non-credentialed sellers as credentialed. I do look at feedbacks as another factor before making a purchase with a seller I have not dealt with before. I guess I'm in the camp with others above who noted that how professional the seller is in their transactions is the main thing I care about. More can be determined by their store, listings and feedback. Credentials only say they are supposed to operate at a certain standard, it doesn't mean they do and anyone who bases their purchase decision on credentials alone is being naive, IMHO.
  • Similar to my eBay comment, based upon painful experience, I focus almost entirely on dealers who are members of professional associations. As a scientists, we do the same with AGU, AMS, AAAS, etc. I also look carefully at feedback--when actually delivered. I think this approach is especially important in dealing over the internet.
  • It completely depends on the item I am buying. If it is common material, I don't care. However, if it is a rarer item or subject to fraud/fake, I would prefer an accredited source. :)
  • Accredited dealers? For social contact maybe..., hey I'm from the same club!
    Otherwise, duly noted and is it for me the same catagory as:
    - 2nd-hand nice automobile, from a old lady
    - rare object from an estate