Hipstamp is getting some negative comments on Stamporama.

In the Discussion section, under General Philatelic Discussion. It starts with a post on APS stamps on HS, then morph's a bit into some (IMO) dings on HS itself. Someone asked for some HS sellers to pipe up and answer questions.....I through my hat in that ring.

The one thing concerning to me about the APS discussion was the discussion about their asking price to catalog, and their shipping charges. I fear this will unfairly hurt the non APS listing sellers/

Has anyone seen this?

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • John, I've just read your comments in the thread on SOR. Good show! Reading the comments of others, it amazes me how often people make basic assumptions that are just wrong and groundless. I could go on, but it is finally a beautiful day and there's no time for such nattering nabobs..
  • Nice!!!! William Safire!!!
  • Yeah, Phil. Norma Loquendi couldn’t have said it better.
  • Well, regarding the comments over at Stamporama, I wouldn't hold that much weight to some of the comments. They are made by a couple of people who don't want to pay more than 10% of catalogue value for any stamp, even a US C3a. Some other comments are obviously made by people who don't know how to sell in a commercial environment.

This is my reply to that discussion:

APS, HipStamp, SOR, etc.

They are all different platforms with different costs.

Selling through the APS (sales books and online) is easy as members do not have to mess around with shipping sold items. To that end, selling members pay a hefty consignment and handling fees that can be around 40%. Expect pricing of stamps to have to account for that.

HipStamp fees vary based on the seller's store level. It has been partially discussed already here, but you won't find that many stamps there priced at 90% off catalogue value. I believe that most sellers price their material between 40% to 60% of catalogue value.

Stamporama only charges a few dollars a year for selling members. Yes, you will find stamps priced well below those being sold on other platforms. High valued stamps historically rarely sell on SOR.

One will find mis-identified items on all selling platforms. That will never change.

High valued stamps are harder to find, so one will have to dig around various online sites, auction houses, approval dealers, etc. to find them.

One can complain about the pricing of stamps on any platform. Don't like the price? Contact the seller and see if a deal can be worked out, or move on. Try selling stamps on the various platforms for yourself, and see how you would price items based on the fees required to be paid. One will find very quickly that pricing too low will cost.

Greg has stated many times here that his pricing on SOR is lower than on other platforms due to the low cost of doing business. I sell on the three platforms stated in my reply. I concur with what Greg has stated. I also agree with his latest comments elsewhere in this discussion board regarding member attitudes here regarding buying.

Buy or don't buy is an individual's decision. There are many different avenues to go to to find the stamps to fill those pesky empty spaces. Explore them all. None is any better or worse than the other.
  • What did I say? I don't sell on SOR at all. Just joined them today in fact.
  • edited December 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Not you, Greg. Greg. Soundcrest. https://www.hipstamp.com/store/soundcrest-house
  • Ah, I thought I was the only one.
  • edited December 2022 1 LikesVote Down
    Yeah I'm just a shuffling trash heap of decent quotes by better folks than me. I'm walking around with all this baggage all my life and I'm happy for it.
    Grammar dictates usage.
    Usage dictates grammar.
    Whan that Aprile with its shoures sweete....
    Form is function.
    Function is form.
    Let us go then, you and I,
    While the evening's
    Spread against the sky
    Like a patient etherized upon a table.
    Now here, no where,
    THE MEDIUM IS THE MESSAGE!!!!
  • O-kee. I feel better now.
  • Now we know where Ron went.. Phil ATE him!
  • LOL, excellent
  • edited December 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Greg said: "Ah, I thought I was the only one."

Well, you're certainly one of a kind.
  • Phil said: "Like a patient etherized upon a table."

I read: Like a patient euthanized upon a table. :neutral:
  • My wife thinks I'm special. She tells me that all the time. That's a good thing, right?
  • This all explains a lot.
  • "My wife thinks I'm special. She tells me that all the time. That's a good thing, right?"

From my experiences, not necessarily!
  • "That's a good thing, right?"

Not from the "Church Lady".