An interesting Canada cancel.

Attached is a scan of a used Canada #C8 I have. The postmark date is FE 5 / 45 (I think), but in place of the normal city / province information, there is only the black ring. Since the date is in WW II, I assume the black ring is due to wartime security issues. Can anyone offer insight as to where and why a cancel like this might have been used (a forces base, perhaps?).
Any particular value to it, other than a fascinating curiosity?

Thanks - John
Canada_cancel

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The Canadian post office used these types of cancel during WWII to hide the name of the city of origin of the mail.
    François
  • Hi John Thank You for a very interesting question & Francois for valuable input. Things like this make Postal History the fascinating area it is. I would like to add to the discussion. Several European countries established 'Armies in Exile' in London & used P.O. Box Numbers as addresses in mailings. These have became to be known as Undercover Addresses. Often The British Clandestine Agencies would black-out the cancelations showing an originating Post Office. In the first Scan P.O. Box 218, London was used by the Belgian Army in Exile. The 2nd cover from P.O. Box 237 is The Free Dutch Army. (notice not only the blackened cancels here but even the location/name place has been cut away from the Registry Label. Keep a sharp eye friends. UA1F
    UA1B
    UA2F
    UA2B
  • Everything Everywhere All at... (what was it?)...