It's 2005 all over again!

I'm feeling a bit nostalgic. Working with Mark in exploring and commenting on the new site makes it feel like 2005 all over again! You're having a great attitude through this tumultuous time, Mark. I'm curious if you have a supporting cast working with you. If so, can't wait to meet them. Cheers, and Godspeed to HipStamp, where it's Hip to be Square, or Triangular, or Heart-Shaped, or whatever you collect!

Comments

• 80 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Remember This?
    StampWants mouse pad 001
  • Me too (nostalgic). The memories are flooding in - Traveling Mouse Pad, Heart fund Auctions,picking a Mascot, all the camaraderie, silly jokes, guess the stamp contest and sadly those who have left us! I really missed the "Old Forum". I have a good feeling about this site already.
  • Wow! --- Just looking at all these names brought a big smile to my face! Doug! Kurt! Luree! Jeri! Arno! Ted! And all the rest!

I just signed up, after receiving an email from Mark . . and , Doug, I used the very same word 'tumultuous' in my reply to him that you did, in commenting on his journey the past several years!!

It's nice to be back among friends!!
  • I have not felt this optimistic in years ! Although I only started selling on Bidstart in 2010 - I bought on StampWants way back when. I can't wait until the day I can cash out my big $5.00 on SGM and close it all down !! Steve
  • Wow, this is a great reunion. Really nice to hear from everyone!
  • Cool!
    I don't think I was in at the very start of StampWants, but not too long after. I've stayed a lot longer and don't want it to go away. I joined StampWants originally because I wanted an out from Ebay.I too am looking forward to finding old (figuratively) friends.
    I have several things I want to say, I'll try to be brief, and if anybody wants to further the conversations, so be it.

1. Hi everybodY!
    2.. Stanley/Gibbons is becoming increasingly uninviting, blah blah blah, I'll save you my personal rant......
    3. I am extremely glad to see in the terms and conditions, there's no "L@@K!", types of stamp descriptions. It gets on my nerves. I would like to see sellers with obvious misleading listings, like every single listing being "VF", be asked to be a little more truthful. Could this be done somehow without outright policing? What's the use putting time into actually grading your stamps if you can just put "VF" at the end of every listing? Personally, I often don't look at a listing in any more detail if it's a seller with all "VF" material, with a few exceptions. To be fair, there are some.
    4. I am personally opposed to the final value fee, but it's not a deal-breaker. The day of the nickel box is in the past.
    This whole thing got me to thinking about my existing charge of $1 for most things. It costs me 35-cents (minimum) for Paypal, 49-cents for the postage, and 9-cents seller fee. That's 83-cents, leaving 17 cents "profit", blah blah...
    Can we ask for minimum amount orders?
    5. I also want to comment on the whole concept of buyer and seller feedback. I don't think it is right for someone selling 20 items from a nickel-box (so to speak) and someone selling 20 $20.00 items getting the same 20 feedbacks, good or (worse) bad. I have over 10,000 feedbacks but I wouldn't boast about it. If someone were to actually start looking at them and seeing 20 from the same person, for the same day, over and over, my boast is pretty hollow! Some of you may remember me saying "who actually reads all of these feedbacks". I have no idea how you could reflect this. Maybe"regular" and "unleaded" feedback or something......

Again, Hi Again, Everybody!!!.
  • I guess I am another refugee from the BS/SGM madness. What was once a good place to sell stamps went downhill. Let us hope that Hipstamps does well - and it is good to see many of the familiar names here.
  • Arno! Hello! Good to see you! It is déjà vu all over again, isn't it? (Adapted from the late great Yogi Berra)
  • This is Deja-Vu!

Hi Mark, Doug, Jeri, Arno, Dianne, Greg, and all the others who were breaking new ground over on StampWants a decade ago!!

[ding, ding] "Round 2..."

Kurt
  • A little Teddy told me I needed to come over here.
  • Everything's been just rolling along. Not much has changed with me over the past few years.
  • Looks like the gang is back. I'll hang around and see how it goes before I jump in again.
  • Yes there is. I was on when it started being sent around just didn't get in on the signing. I did win a penny black. Looks like Mark is going to give another away. Maybe I can win another one :)
    Right after SG took over I closed my store, maybe I will see if I can open another on this site. Nothing like getting in on the ground floor.
  • This.
    Déjà vu, (deɪʒɑː ˈvu) from French, literally "already seen", is the phenomenon of having the strong sensation that an event or experience currently being experienced has already been experienced in the past. Déjà vu is a feeling of familiarity, and déjà vécu (the feeling of having "already lived through" something) is a feeling of recollection. (Wikipedia)

Hi again!
  • This is like finding that home really is a place you can go back to and find some things have not changed, just rearranged.

Hello to all my friends, good to see you again.
  • Good to have you back, Mark!
  • P.S. I purposely miss spell some words. Weird is werd/weirde because it is weird. I do this to stimulate aattention span. Yes double a.
  • With the people we're getting so far, and Mark at the helm, things are sure to be swell again!
  • Glad you got here Steve. I go back to Stamp Wants as well. You can still see the site in The Wayback Machine

https://archive.org/web/

• Hey everyone - talked to "toons" today. Told him to get over here!
  • It's a repeat of deja vu all over again!

My first StampWants sale was in December 2006! There have been a few bumps along the way, but it's been a good ride. And It's good to see old (not literally, of course!) faces here. Exciting times!!!
  • Mark, Just a thought I had. Can you design something that we can stick in with our orders from Bid Start/ Stampwants. To start moving the customers over. I'm thinking something we can print out.
    Paul
  • Good to see some familiar faces. Excited to be here!
  • Richard, Jack and Les, welcome back! This will be a wonderful place for us to gather.
  • Hello everyone. I may have disappeared for a few years. It is great seeing all the 2005 gang joining in. I look forward to reconnecting with everyone. I have a stall at a local flea market and have had very limit success trying to sell stamps. Hope everyone is doing well
  • Great to see our warm welcome extending to so many of the Originals StampWants personnel. Though not one of the original one's myself, I do consider myself to be long entrusted with StampWants, BidStart & now HipStamps!

New or Old to Philatelic Collecting, it is the Community that makes this site Rock On!
  • edited May 2016 1 LikesVote Down
    Hi everybody! So glad to 'see' all the familiar faces. I started on StampWants in December of '07 and was hooked. Got so depressed when I saw what SG was (not) doing. Then I got the email from Mark and did my happy dance :smile: Now to let all my regular customers know the good news. Good Luck to all the Hipsters out there! -- Papaw Don
  • Hi Jimmy - Welcome! Glad to see you made it.
  • I heard a whisper in the wind that there was a Hip place that echoed both of the old & the new in collectibles.

HipStamp awakens, but maybe out there in the future some day there'll be a HipPostcard too.

We'll be waiting. Meantime, enjoy the stamp world!