Random ID (lot) numbers

Is anyone noticing ID numbers all over the place? They usually have stayed in a numeric progression from lower to higher. A week or so ago my ID #'s were in the 5,000,000 ranges.

I put a few different listings in over the past few days. A couple of relists are in the 10,000,000 range and then brand new listings are with 3,000,000 numbers.

This doesn't keep my stock in numeric order without me having to rearrange the boxes.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Update:
    In the 30 lots I just listed, 8 were assigned ID's in the 3,000,000 range and 22 were in the 10,000,000.

Are we filling old ID's with new lots by reusing the old ID #'s?
  • Currently new Listings will always have higher ID numbers. It looks like you're Bulk Listing items, and creating some new items - and updating some of your older items. Please note the following, as indicated on the Bulk Lister > Fields page:

Private ID
    Enter a Private ID or SKU (optional).

When used, Private IDs must be unique (within your active listings). If you Bulk List an item with the same Private ID of an existing active listings - that listing will be updated (instead of a new listing being created).
  • I really can't tell you what's going on, but unfortunately, that's not it. I have been using Bulk Lister and private ID's is something new in my listings over the last few months, But I have been keeping track of the last used numbers since I did have an issue at the beginning. I did notice the replacement issue early on.

They aren't replacing or updating a previous ID number. What I have observed is that they were assigned ID numbers sequentially right after the previous private ID # that was used counting up from there (3119--- for 34 stamps). Then whether the next higher ID numbers are unavailable or used by another dealer they started being assigned ID #'s in the 1019---- range.

It's odd that those numbers were still available from months ago, but there they are!
  • edited October 2016 0 LikesVote Down
    When you reuse a Private ID, the original (active) listing with that Private ID will be updated instead of a new Listing created. If you go to the Members Area > Selling > Seller Tools > Reports, you can download a report of the results of your Bulk Lister upload, and you'll see the items in question, with lower Item IDs, are "Updates" not "Create"s (new listings) because you have already previously created listing with the Private IDs you specified.

Private IDs need to be unique among your active listings when using the Bulk Lister. If you need further help, please use the Contact Us link in our footer, and we'll provide you with more information.
  • I have entered a prefix as directed in add new listing but no automated numerical value has been added. What am I doing wrong?
  • A six year old post! Interesting!
  • The system has become self-aware on October 15, 2016....
    images
  • I'll be back!!!!!! Wait!!! I'm here now!!

I really have no idea what the issue was with the first post. The Private ID are what you assign them to be aren't they? The listing numbers are what HS assigns them to be right?
  • Listing numbers are just fine. It is the automated sku that is not generated. Directions say type in a prefix and hip will auto generate a sku number. No number has appeared.
  • I think for the bulk lister, you might have to specify the entire private ID. I don't use bulk lister often but when I do, that's what I do. I don't think it auto-fills. Where did you get those directions regarding the prefix and auto-generating a SKU?

Here is the field description for the Private ID field.

Private ID
    Enter a Private ID or SKU (optional).

When used, Private IDs must be unique (within your active listings). If you Bulk List an item with the same Private ID of an existing active listings - that listing will be updated (instead of a new listing being created).
  • Lance, did you activate the button to the right of “Auto Generate Private IDs?”
    3D8F95C4-9B4F-45D5-9608-6F8A3D3CF40D
    1FAD0393-A2A3-4768-8ADB-764AB69EEAE7
  • edited November 2022 0 LikesVote Down
    Hey! Look at that! The dang cat learned something new! I guess that is handy but the way I use private IDs is to prefix them with the source of the stamps, i.e. where did get/buy them. Then with increasing numbers which is how I store and find them when they are sold.

So if my first listing came from my personal inventory, it would be "MY10897". If the next item I list came from an Apfelbaum auction lot it would be "APF10898". I file them in numerical order regardless of prefix making them easy to find.. That way, I can keep track of what sells from what source and ultimately see how different acquisitions perform over time. When I export sales csv files, the private IDs let me sort and extract from each source.