ImplementedYear Entry Not Working In Catalog

edited November 2016 in Bugs 0 LikesVote Down
This may already be a known issue. I noticed today that the year of the stamp is not filling in correctly when I am using the List Similar function. The country, year and condition all update as soon as I put in my description but in most cases the year is not changing and it is just taking the same year as the previous entry. I even put in "0000" myself and it carried that into the next stamp I put in. I do not know how important this is - and there is no way I am going to be correcting these entries. Most of my customers really only care about the Scott # and to see the image.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited October 2016 0 LikesVote Down
    Steve, I have noticed the same thing. It also does not recognize a lot of letter suffixes (246E, 349H) and once in awhile identifies as them as other than general issues and then will not go back to general issue when another number comes in. But the year is the main thing - outside of having the catalog there every time you list a stamp they are not going to be correct.
    The last time I listed Scott 346 was shown as 1928 (correct) and the next stamp listed was from the 50's Scott #789 and the date changed to 1914 (fictitious example here but this kind of thing happens every time I list). I posted at least once but no one picked up on it ...... and at this point I doubt anyone is going to go back and change them because few people in the US search by year except for postal history and I put the year in the title... hopefully search will pick that up - it certainly did in Bidstart. At some point they are going to have to figure out how to correct all the wrong year dates they have auto filled.
  • 'ya know-I like that option. I wished it worked better-wait, the undertaking to make that happen for all the stamps out there and then to keep up with those coming out?? Nah-I'd like it to work better. It sure makes listing stamps easier--
  • I am starting to put XXXX's in the year field - because the years are not populating properly. It is hit & miss when using List Similar if the year is updating properly. Do not like this year function at all !!
  • Am I the only one that is having an issue with this year function ? It is still not populating correctly for me at all - it is hit and miss and sometimes it works but most of the time it is not changing to the correct year. My store is loaded now with incorrect years.
  • This was discussed previously a few times, but what you're describing is not a bug - it's just two different features with opposite purposes.

When you click on List Similar, every field, including Attributes such as Year, are copied to the new listing. That's the purpose of List Similar.

Not related to the above, when you enter in a new Item Title, if we have Catalog Information available for the Country / Catalog Number you've entered - we auto-fill in the information, such as year. However, we do not have Catalog information for every stamp - particularly Year of Issue. So when we don't have this information available, we don't automatically fill in anything.

So we wouldn't fill in the wrong year, but if you're using List Similar, the Year you entered on the last item will still be there if we can't fill it in for you - since that's the purpose of List Similar to pre-populate all fields with the values of the last listing.

There were a few discussions regarding this previously, and it was discussed what made more sense. Leaving List Similar to work the same as it always has. Or, if when using List Similar, and you enter in a new Country / Catalog Number to clear out the year field. There was not a particularly strong call for either option, so we had left it as-is. However, as of today, we updated this such that if you are using List Similar, and enter in a Country / Catalog Number for an item we do not know the year of - we'll clear out the Year field (assuming it's not the same as the last item - though you can re-enter the information). We'll watch this closely over the next week and review the feedback.
  • Thanks Mark.... It really was no big deal since most of my customers always searched by Country and Scott #. The year was not very important and I was trying to blank them out or put in XXXX when I saw it was not right - but it was hard to keep up with it - so this new solution sounds great ! Steve
  • A pre-existing "year of issue" entry is removed ("cleared") when applying other maintenance to a listing. Most recent example: id # 10471038.
  • James - this the updated behavior as to when changes are made in which we fill in the Country / Catalog Number field automatically and we ourselves do not have the Year of Issue in our Catalog data to avoid confusion (see above). What specific fields were you updating?
  • I just noticed that the year is still not filling properly when I was putting up some additional stamps from one country. The year 1983 was being carried forward on every stamp I entered - the condition and catalog # changed properly but the year was staying the same for every stamp.
  • When you use List Similar - you'll see the same values copied over initially. However, once you update the Title of the item, we'll automatically update the Country, Catalog Number, and Year of Issue - at that time, if we do not have the Year of Issue it will be cleared.
  • Yesterday I put up a handful of stamps for Kuwait - the first one had the correct year of 1983 but the rest of them retained that same year even when I changed the Scott # and condition in the title. The # and condition updated by the year of 1983 remained on each one of them.