Daytona 500

Daytona 500

Well I know what I'll be doing tomorrow (Sunday 2/26). NASCAR is like stamp collecting in that most folks either 1) relate to it, or 2) they simply don't at all, whatsoever, in any way.

Any other fans out there?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes sir, I for one will be watching. You have a favorite.
  • No particular favorite but just one or two that are not favorites :-). I enjoy the races and rout for the underdog of the day more than any one particular team. You?
  • I was a lifelong fan of Mark Martin, since his retirement I don't really have a favorite. But I also like the underdog, the one car team that nobody expects to finish, let alone win.
  • (doing too many things at once here - obviously meant root, not rout). Yes, last year I thought it was great that Daniel Suarez won the Xfinity series. Good for him. Maybe Chase Elliott will do good things this year.
  • Yes, definitely, the kid has talent and is off to a big start. My father was a big fan of his father Bill, so maybe I can follow suit.
  • Hot Rod racing is in my blood! Love the King and didn't like The Intimidator that much but totally respected him for all he did for the sport. That is when I started really liking Jeff Gordon. Now it's Jimmi Johnson. Chase Elliott comes from a very long line of drivers and has great talent. Being on the pole is a huge step in the right direction, but with Jr. next to him ... well some lessons might come into play.

I have to work today so the race will be well underway by the time I get home. The "big one" shouldn't take place until the latter part, like always, sometimes.

Yes, I'm a NASCAR fan. Went to Daytona several times, even when we could drive across the infield with hardly any campers around. Those were the better days.
  • There might be a few "big ones" because of the new rules package this year. There's now a stage one caution somewhere around a quarter of the race and Stage 2 caution at about halfway before the true finish. Each stage offers points so it acts almost like a false Finish Line twice during the race. During the Xfinity race yesterday it showed that the drivers were definitely going for points and there were multiple big pileups. It was a crazy race! Should be a good season this year.
  • Lure, totally agree, the King is an amazing person. Years ago a few of us took a fellow dirt track driver with cancer to fulfill his bucket list to meet Richard at MIS. He somehow heard about it and came to us and visited with Jimmy for almost half and hour. A true hero in my book.
  • Sorry about the misspelling, darn auto correct.
  • That is classy. It really is a unique sport where the drivers and teams are so accessible to the fans most of the time.
    Last year, my brother - the chef in Atlanta -got a call to do some catering at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Later after he got the details of the gig, he found out he would be making food for Richard Petty Motorsports, including the king himself. He was pretty stoked.
  • edited February 2017 0 LikesVote Down
    It's neat to see you all exchanging views on NASCAR.

I know next to nothing about the sport, but I did get to meet two of the drivers in the past year as I was drawing their 'Disneyfied' versions for the show I'm working on! They both recorded the voices for their respective characters and did a pretty good job!

Here's the official show version of Jeff Gordon as 'Gordon Gear'. .

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 12.11.08 PM
    . . and Jimmy Johnson as Jiminy Jackson!

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 12.14.22 PM
  • You really caught the details in their personalities. I tried really hard to catch the show, Disney Racers, but it's aired at 8 AM on Sunday. I'm not around that early in the day. I'll see one way or the other!

On the small "big" one break now. If they have this many "breaks" or stages what about the Bristol stomp? How many stages will that race have?

Not sure if I'm liking these new rules. Time will tell.
  • Good stuff, Dave! But I would expect nothing less from you!
    They really do look like their real life personalities ☺️
  • Very kind of you, Kurt and Luree . . . but I didn't mean to give the impression that those pieces were done by me!

We have an excellent Character Designer who creates the characters for the show . . . then I have to draw them hundreds of times 'acting' in the storyboards for each episode that I spend most of my life drawing these days! :neutral:
  • Close enough, works for me. You played a part in it and that's a thousand times more talent than I have when it comes to anything remotely similar.
    My Gordon Gear attempt:
    Sketch26020446
  • I like how you gave him that little bit of manly 5 o'clock shadow stubble!

Subtle but effective!!