Re-Invoice

As the new kid on the block, If I wish a new invoice ie I might wish to pay more for registered mail or insurance, do I simply just contact the seller with the request as is done in ebay?

Cheers and thanks Pete

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Welcome to Hipstamp, Peter.

Yes, contact the seller right away and request your order be sent registered mail or with insurance. I say right away because for seller such as myself, we have a tendency to quickly pack and mail all orders. Or, before you actually purchase the stamps, send the seller the request. This way an adjustment can be made early. Either way, communication is the key.

Luree
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/dianealthea
  • Thank you Luree :)
  • That being said, how does the seller adjust the invoice? As a seller on HipStamp, I have no control over what the invoice initially says nor any way to modify it that I am aware of. They seem to be automatically sent. Thanks.
  • Cliff, that is a very good question. I do have that option available for insurance/registered mail, but nobody has taken me up on it.

Maybe someone else with experience with that could weigh in?
  • edited March 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    The invoice can be adjusted by clicking the "update shipping" option on the sales details page, and changing the "payment status" to Unpaid. The menu box will then show options for combining invoices or editing the invoice. (Luree, you can go ahead and try it with a past sale, to see what I mean, and then change the payment status back again.)
    Screenshot_20180324-120302
  • Also, if the customer checked out using the Pay Later option (which has to be pre-approved by the seller) that sale will show the above expanded menu box.
  • Excellent Ted, thank you so much. My something new for the day!
  • From what I've been told - you can adjust the shipping but can no longer edit the invoice.

"The purpose of editing an unpaid invoice is only to update the shipping costs - not the per item costs, which are set at the time of purchase. Please note that editing an invoice would not change the Final Value Fees which you are charged - which are calculated at the time of purchase (regardless of when payment is made).

In some cases, Sellers were able to update the per item costs - but this should not be the case, and was recently corrected"
  • You are right, Jeri. The only editable value is the shipping fee. However, if there is some other kind of cost adjustment you need to make, say, the customer has a $5 store credit, that could just as well be done in that box.
  • Thanks, Ted. Maybe I did something wrong. I tried to put a - (negative) number in the shipping fee for a credit/discount but it didn't seem to work. Probably just me.
  • Forgot to add. When the customer tried to pay he couldn't because of the negative number in the shipping box. A Paypal issue or a Hip issue? The quote in my previous message was from Mark.
  • When I was trying it out, putting a negative number in the box updated the final price on the invoice just fine. I've never done it on an actual invoice, so I was unaware of the PayPal issue. I guess the only real workaround is to make adjustments by partially refunding PayPal payments.
  • Hmm, I guess I am getting confused again. The reason I asked the original question. I did a high value purchase and mailed the seller and stated I wish I could work out how to arrange for registered mail. He was kind enough to do that but he was $17 out of pocket. My conscience says this is totally unfair. I am still feeling my way around Hipstamp after many a year doing ebay and it is totally a new learning curve for me. I would like to be able to correct the out of pocket expense to a very kind person.
  • You can always send the seller the $17 in a money transfer to the seller's PayPal email address.
  • edited March 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    I think there are two different items being discussed here.

1) Once you pay for an invoice - the order is completed and can not be changed. This includes if you checkout and pay for items within your cart, or if you've won items through auctions, offers, etc. and subsequently paid. Sellers do have the option of offering different shipping methods, such as registered mail, etc. - which you can select when checking out. However, once you've paid for an invoice - the order is complete and can not be changed. However, if you contact a Seller whom you have already paid, and agree with the Seller to an alternate (and more expensive) shipping method (assuming they have not already shipped the order out), the Seller can not "re-invoice" you, because the order is already complete. However, there would not be anything preventing you from paying the Seller the difference by sending them money directly via PayPal - you would just need to ask for their PayPal Email Address, and use the "Send Money" feature in PayPal.

2) If you have an order which is not yet paid for, such as for auctions, offers, or through the Pay Later feature, the Seller will have the option to update the shipping amount and method, as well as combine multiple unpaid orders (orders placed within 5 days of each other are automatically combined). Shipping Costs below zero are invalid, and will prevent a buyer from paying for the order.
  • Thanks mark, I get it now, cheers