So, what is HipStamp to do about new USPS rates?

Comments

• edited March 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    My order to arrived in Australia. The only way I know that is that my customer gave me positive feedback. The tracking number still shows that it is sitting in Lyndhurst, NJ. as of February 23rd. What is the purpose of a tracking number if they don't scan it? Aren't we paying extra for that service?
  • Mine was scanned in Sydney, but although delivered a week ago, it still says "out for delivery". I think there is a disclaimer how USPS can't ensure the destination country does its scan.
  • I have been using ShippingEasy for a month now. It is a little ponderous and 4-5 days slower but it works! I have found that I need to go back to the ShippingEasy site to find the Customs number (it's in the Shipments/Shipment History tab) in order to track the package once it leaves the "Postal Processing Facility". The package does seem to travel extensively before it leaves the US.
    Before the great price increase, about 25% of my business was overseas, I have been able to recoup a little less that half of that by using ShippingEasy. Not great, but it's a start. I set my prices at the 5 oz rate which is a lot of merchandise and only about $3.00 more than the 1 oz rate and I do have the option of refunding any difference, It's really too early to tell if my prices are too high or too low, I plan on revisiting it in a couple of months after I get some real data.
  • Thanks for sharing that, Wayne.

I've only had 2 shipments, both to Canada, for which I've used ShippingEasy. So far, one clearly made it out of the mail consolidation facility in Southern California and is somewhere in Canada. That was about 3-1/2 to 4 weeks ago. I've seen no feedback from the buyer (and, of course, not many do leave feedback), so I'm not really sure what the status of that shipment is.

The second shipment shows, through the regular US shipping confirmation number (that prints on the shipping label -- not the one in the ShippingEasy system), that it made it to the So Cal consolidation facility. But it never shows any activity on the US customs number. In fact, it says that the USPS never received it to move it on to Canada. That was also 3-1/2 weeks ago. So, if that is to be believed, my parcel got to the facility and never left. I'm inclined to think that it did get sent out but didn't get scanned, but that's me trying to look on the bright side.

My fingers are crossed that both shipments have made it. But the lack of information and the perceived slowness really concern me. I feel like my mailings are much more at risk this way, but I don't know that for a fact.

In both of these cases, these were items that clearly looked like "stuff" -- one was a sheet of stamps, the other was a set of stamp booklets.

I'm not really sure if I should continue to use ShippingEasy, go back to using USPS directly and double or triple my shipping charges, or stop offering to ship international all together.

Last year, probably about 45% of my shipments were international. This year has been much slower, but international is still a presence. I would hate to lose it, but I certainly can't blame most buyers for not being willing to pay $10-15 shipping (coupled with the additional selling and PayPal fees).
  • I have several with the same results, Dave.Thusfar I have made 6 shipments with ShippingEasy. Of them, only one showed any Tracking # activity once they left the sorting facility. That was the first. and it got scanned in Australia, but never again. I got a message confirming the item was received about a week later (in WA).
    One made it to the sorting facility (on 2/24 per scan), but no further tracking activity. I got positive feedback on it from UK on 2/27.
    As for the others... sadly, I've heard nothing. Hoping that they make it, but no feedback or word on any of them yet. And no indication they ever even left the US (but I suspect they have).
  • Today. I took one to the post office to mail. The clerk tried scanning the barcode and it didn't work. He typed it in manually. He took the package, but I suspect something is goofy. The tracking number on the receipt I got is the same as was under the barcode (the domestic one, not the international one). As of a few hours later, it still does not show the scan worked. Bogus barcodes? I don't get it.
  • All my latest shipments through SE have been delivered, so far. Even 2 from Feb 26 that had me worried - Spain & Australia. Tracking still shows Torrance, CA but received feedback that the orders had been received. Someone is dropping the ball on scanning the packages.

Doug, my mailman scans the packages when he picks them up. He hasn't had any problem with the bar codes.
  • Once the package reaches the mail facility, the tracking number on the piece you mailed is gone and replaced by the Customs number - which is also a tracking number. Tracking that number will at least tell you that it reached the country you sent it to - probably never tell you it was delivered.
  • Both methods show Torrance, CA - Domestic & the Customs #.
  • Just issued my first refund because a buyer from Canada did not read my Shipping instructions.
    Can you elaborate on that a little bit, Bob? I'm just curious about what went wrong.
    The guy bought a few stamps and when he checked out he didn't realize that my shipping was $6. I know they are supposed to read that first and are obligated to pay but I gave him the option of cancelling the order and he took it.
    Sure. I totally understand that.

But I'm sorry you lost the sale.
  • There is another thread called - A very messy and expensive lesson - I was one of the sellers this guy bought from. I didn't realize he was new to HipStamp. I probably would have offered him a refund before shipping the item.
  • Sadly, I tried to ship something to Canada. Went on a trip and then is being sent right back to my PO Box. It was only one ounce so there was more than enough postage on it. I guess I'm only going to use USPS and have to change all my postage rates.
  • Same deal. Mailed a package (4oz) on March 3 to Processing Facility in Lyndhurst using shipeasy label. Returned to me today marked Not Deliverable as Addressed. Postal Service doesn't know where their Postal Processing Facility is???
    Ended up paying big bucks and mailed it with PayPal. Tracking shows a lot of "In Transit to Next Facility" on its way from Florida to Kearny NJ - Tererboro NJ where it sat for 6 days and finally someone decided it would be delayed.

Don't know it if is shipeasy or USPS that screwed up. All I know is I am out $8.50 and probably have a customer who will be very mad when I email him.

Ah the joys of it all. Maybe I will change my store to US only.
  • Just found out that the "Postal Processing Facility" is NOT USPS. Rather it is owned and operated by RR Donnelley.
    So.....Contrary to what others have said, the mail DOES leave USPS control, and Donnelley might have moved in the middle of the night.
    Donnelley is a marketing company responsible among other things of all those neat emails and mail you get.
    Now I REALLY gotta think.....
  • Just rechecked my shipping label. The normal (small) barcode is missing right under the processing center address. What I think happened is that the USPS saw the large barcode (tracking), and the last 9 numbers directed it to Oklahoma City. It got to OKC and they had no idea what to do and returned it back to shipper. And shippingeasy customer service is as good as eBay. I switched my store to USA only until I can figure out what to do.
  • My 1st (and only, thus far) shipment, to Australia, was mailed out Mar 10. The USPS tracking system says
    March 13, 2018 at 6:56 pm
    Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
    CAROL STREAM, IL 60199

Package acceptance pending??? A standard letter-size envelope. Less than one ounce. What are they trying to decide?
  • It seems if you want to get any response, use ShippingEasy's Facebook page. They are going to look into this mess regarding my letter. The customer help person mentioned they have been having issues ever since this new USPS thing started in January.
  • I'm right in there with you guys. Tedksi, I,too, shipped a package to Australia on 3/10. Not yet received, and as far as I can tell, it's still sitting in Carol Stream, IL. What a crock of bull.
  • Canada has had for some time the stipulation that only "papers" should be in letter mail to the US and other countries. I have been mailing stamps in such letters for some time with so far no problems. There is no sort of low price alternative in Canada like US dealers apparently have so for me its either mail stamps in a normal letter - and after all they are "paper" or find another business.

To me the regulations are just another example of simple servants ( from any country) coming up with regulations without giving any thought to what those regulations will do do those of us who are self employed and operating legitimate businesses. The simple servants will continue to receive their pay cheques while we suffer.
  • I believe that I am correct in stating that these regulations came from the UPU (Universal Postal Union) which is now a part of the UN. Part of it's purpose has been said to derive from the need to find a way to stem the flow of illegal drugs through the mail systems which required the segregation of "documents" from "other" (including merchandise). Technically "merchandise" has always required a customs label, no matter how inexpensive. What has changed is that only "documents" can now be mailed by first class letter. .
  • The whole thing is a bunch of bureaucratic insanity. Dennis is so right on with his comment. It is absolutely all absurd. Just a bunch of morons running things. I sent a postal card to Canada on February 28th using the appropriate USPS service with customs form all in a great package called a #10 envelope for $9.50. The latest tracking info says "The item is currently in transit to the next facility as of March 5, 2018." Since I have received no feedback I have absolutely no idea whether the customer received it or not.
  • Quite amazing. My shippingeasy item was retrieved from my PO Box today. It never left the USPS. The USPS does not even know their own regulations. It was marked "Not a Parcel" and returned for $4.10 more postage (I have no idea how they came up with the rate). I sent the scan to shippingeasy for them to tell me what I did wrong but I think this mess was more on the US Postal Service having no clue.
  • I have not had any issues mailing from Canada into US and various European countries even though the «  new » regulations regarding «  documents came into effect. I did have one that required extra postage because of weight but was not required to post with a customs declaration. I am using and mailing inside greeting cards . So far I have been able to send ar regular costs to US or Europe. I have got several pieces of mail same way from US. The UPU has been a special Agency of the UN since 1947 and it appears the «  enforcement «  of long standing rules by member counties is not a new thing. Canada and US had not been enforcing as other countries have been for years. I am ok with following our international obligations but it would have been nice to have some consultations and a gentle «  rollout » so that shippers and buyers could adjust and make changes to mitigate the expense and headaches.
  • It's kind of ironic you can put a stamp on the outside of an international letter but not inside.
    My shipment to Australia finally arrived after about 16-17 days. I asked the customer to take a picture because I wanted to see what the label applied by ShippingEasy at the "postal processing facility" in Carol Stream, IL looked like. Here it is. Pretty normal, except no signature on the customs form, and the HS Code I entered into ShippingEasy clearly didn't make it onto the form. You can kind of see my original label underneath. It went as "International Priority Airmail"

label
  • It appears it took them 4 days to process your package within the facility as you said you mailed it on the 10th. Not very efficient.
  • I have had 5 international sales since using Shipping Easy. I have had no proof of delivery on any of them except one of my customers gave me positive feedback. The last scan on all of them shows that they are still in NJ. On the other hand, I have not had any complaints yet so I guess that's a good thing.