No Picture? No Condition? No Sale.

edited April 2018 in Chatter 10 LikesVote Down
I can't imagine why any dealer would leave the stamp condition (MNH, Unused, Used) out of the main title, especially when they do not include an image with the listing. To me, that indicates a total lack of respect to your (potential) customers. I never click on those listings.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I agree with you that condition should be part of the main title, but has to missing scan, he probably hasn't noticed it, especially if he's an "old" seller who had his listing transferred from Bidstart. Lots of scan were lost, when the move was made and unless he took the time to go through each and everyone of his listings or if nobody wrote him a little note regarding a specific item he wouldn't have a clue. I know, I spent a good 2 months going through all my listings after stumbling on a missing scan.
    https://www.hipstamp.com/store/directmaildiscount
  • I agree Ted, I hate buying a MNH or MH listed stamp and it has no gum, I buy a lot of stamps as a collector and to me MNH means what it says ie as it comes from the printer, I have a lot of problems with mailing a high amount of sellers to query whether OG or not on high value MNH or MH listings.Now I only deal with sellers that list conditions properly. With high value stamps it would be also nice to have a scan on the reverse side, if you are paying $250 or more for a stamp it would be nice to see both sides of the item. My other gripe is listings of, ie :- a 1912 KGV stamp to find it is a different plate from a later year (same stamp) with different watermark, also why are watermarks not mentioned much in listings, they are a godsend in identification of multiple printings for the old school stamps, I understand now that sellers had and have a lot of teething problems from the old venue to the current, but if I am going to spend a lot of money on early 1900's MNH Australian pre-decimal stamps which is my forte then I need more info in listings.
  • Peter just for my personal info. If a stamp is listed in Scott has having Wmk xxx and no other option, do you expect the seller to indicate this? Or if a stamp was issued with no gum, do you wish the seller to indicate this? I'm asking, because I for one never indicate info that is already available in a catalogue. On the other hand, I do indicate Wmk # if several editions of the same stamp exists...again even if its listed in each case with a different number. I do this, for the sake of customers who don't use Scott and have no clue has whats the difference between #xxx and #yyy or #yyya But if there no other version listed...
  • edited April 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    Ted, who are you referring to? I try to list condition as accurately as possible but it takes time and can really only be done if the seller puts the stamp under an LED light to actually see. One of my pet peeves is buying stamps that come with thins and other flaws that were not listed. For watermarks some are harder than others to check for, now I always try to list it if I have checked it out that way you avoid confusion and double checking which wastes fluid.
  • edited April 2018 2 LikesVote Down
    I'm referring to anyone who does not include an image, and puts less than minimal information in the title:

totally made-up example:
    Germany Scott #14 $20.00 (no image included)

If I am looking for a Germany #14, I am not bothering to click on this listing.

I'm not looking for watermark information, perf gauge, type of paper, or any other specialized information in the title (nor, even, in the details, for that matter).
    But, the vast majority of collectors, I believe, are looking for particular stamps in either Used, Unused, or MNH condition. I think that information, at least, should be in the title (especially for later stamps, where MNH is the norm and hinged are virtually worthless). The price is no indication, as in my example, stamps in either condition could have that price. Maybe it's just a dealer's way of getting you to click on their listing and look for the details. Then, as long as you are in that store, you will buy their stamp. I don't know.

I don't want to hold anyone's feet to the fire, and force my views on anyone. All I'm saying, is if a dealer can't be bothered with the courtesy of providing basic details in the title, don't be surprised if some potential customers can't be bothered with perusing your offerings.

• Hi,reply to peter smith,Expensive stamps should always have front & back scans,even my $5 have.Leave alone if no back scan. It is very important (not just for the buyer but if the seller has missed something,small tear etc.).Beware of unhinged earlies they may have been regummed & only worth the MNG value.Stamps can be regummed for about $15)
  • Thanks Michael,
    I was starting to feel a bit of a wall flower on this one. Some sellers seem to forget that If a person like me is not here then they will not sell stamps! I have to say this again, NO PICTURE, lack of info then no buy. Watermarks are very important, perforations are very important. I have been bitten that many times from seriously undescribed damaged stamps in the past on ebay it is not funny (no reverse scan on a very expensive stamp), and yes Michael, I have already been caught on re gumming. I am 71 years old and have been collecting MUH, MNH, OG, basically all my life I started as a kid.

Once a Mint stamp was straight off the press. not any more, we seem to have all these Catalogues (catalogs, we spell different too) world wise with all different price listings, different ways of listing watermark types. and the abbreviation terminologies that are mind boggling. Scotts Cats. are virtually unheard of in Aus, Stanley Gibbons are British, I have SG, Brusden and White KG V, KG VI, Brusden and White Kangaroos, 7 seas for quick reference (nice stamp profile pics.) also an out dated PC cat and 2 others that were designed from philatelists in Melbourne Aus (the latter 3 handy for the early ones)
    There are that many Catalogues which are all listing differences in values it is not funny.

Ok Having said all that I more than likely spend as much time with my hobby as a buyer as a seller does on stamps due to my continual cross referencing on 7 Catalogues, checking perfs, watermarks, and descriptions on purchases as well as collection written storage x refs. (see very little perf referencing on the listed profile description pics).

Watermarks (only some sellers). Reverse scans (virtually zero existent on high value stamps). At the moment I am dealing with a minority of sellers that give me stamp profile PHOTO listings with OG, MNH, MH on their listings.

I say this with no disrespect, I can understand the time involved to place thousands and thousands of scans and the related info into this medium, But sellers need to know the hours and hours that are spent by people such as myself (A collector) to find one lovely stamp (last high value $250 USD from a Fort Lauderdale seller).

Collecting used stamps gave me innumerable hours of pleasure as a kid, I am now a fussy collector that is filling in gaps from years of collecting MNH and MH OG stamps. My gaps are now expensive pre-decimals (Australian predecimal Stamps) I need sellers that are simply fair dinkum with their descriptions and show SCANS and proper descriptions and give full info on high value stamps.

I am at the moment contemplating a $1400 stamp which once again I will have drag the info out on this item (yes we have a photo but not all relevant info)

My comments are hopefully constructive as well as written with no prejudice or hard feelings,

Cheers, Pete. East Gippsland Australia

WHEW! Sorry Ted, I have added lots to your thunder of which I agree with, but description goes further than a listed profile pic. A proper listing standard would be tops.