Hip Stamp's Rules Regarding US Sellers/Buyers and CUBA Stamps?

HI all, this is my first post! Forgive me if I am breaking any rules or anything ;-)

I did a little searching here and didn't find an actual dedicated thread about my question: What are Hip Stamp's rules regarding US sellers/buyers and CUBAN Stamps?

Ebay won't allow me to list the handful Cuban revenue stamps I want to sell on to new homes. I understand that PayPal has a NOPE rule regarding ALL Cuban stamps. I was wondering if Hip Stamp's rules are any different, as I have read a small blurb in Linn's that pre-embargo stamps ARE legal to buy and sell in the US.

I thought perhaps a dedicated thread may be in order, as rules/policies/laws may change over time... or maybe HAVE changed since last I looked.

Of note, I actually tried to email the US Gvt. a while back, and the office I contacted seemed confused on the whole matter! Perhaps a phone call would have been better, but then again..............

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ebay and PayPal made a business decision that it would be easiest to simply ban the sale of all items from any US embargoed country rather than to try to create programming to determine if an item sold was pre- or post-embargo.

Since buying and selling on HipStamp is international, most countries do not have embargoes against countries, so there is no prohibition per-se on HipStamp. That said, you, as a seller and/or buyer, are the one responsible for following the laws of your country.
  • Hi ya Mike,
    Just got a payment declined this morn. Samps: Iran. Seller: USA to me in the USA..
    I think I'm just going ask for cash..you send cash i send stamps...
  • LEE - was that a PayPal payment?
  • Some time ago had U.S. occupation of Cuba stamp sale denied by paypal. After some discussion with them, I called Foreign Asset Control at Treasury. Received two call backs from them on this subject. Their statement was it is not only when the stamp or other item was produced but also when they left the embargoed country. So unless you can prove when the items left the country in question you're out of luck. Also if you can prove item is not embargoed you then have to put in for a license to sell the item.

John
  • Interesting John, thanks for sharing that!
  • Some sellers get around this by listing the stamps as "C_ba" or "Caribbean".
  • I've had multiple sales of Cuban issues on Hipstamp, all paid for with paypal....hasn't been a problem for me.
  • Check your paypal invoice I'll bet that there is no mention of the country only asterisks.

John
  • Here's a laugh (I think): last week eBay de-listed an Iran stamp I listed saying it was in violation of the sanctions regarding Iran as country or origin. The stamp was a 1957 issue with the Shah in the design. Another seller had an Iran issue from the 1890s also pulled. Needless to say, I'm planning on moving my stuff to this market place...
  • edited August 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    Not stamps...but a similar experience with ebay...For those not familiar...The US 45th Inf. Div.'s unit insignia was the swastika until 1939 when they changed it to the Thunderbird (the unit was formed for WWI from the southwest...with many native Americans to whom the swaz was a good luck symbol)....I digress...I had an authentic brass web belt buckle from the 45th with the swaz. embossed in it.....I listed it on ebay, with the supporting provenance ...It sold Buy It Now in a couple hours...The buyer paid via paypal....2 days later ebay contacts me & tells me the sale had been canceled as "hateful & discriminatory"...I call ebay & get the run around, BECAUSE at the same time REPRODUCTION shoulder patches of the 45th with the swaz. were still being sold on ebay....& probably still are....This didn't matter to ebay...Only mine that was "hateful & discriminatory" even tho I provided full provenance in the listing!!!! All good as the buyer & I completed the sale off site.... I just checked, & yes...repros of the patches still available :( https://www.ebay.com/itm/b1313-WW1-US-Army-45th-Infantry-Division-Shoulder-Patch-old-style-PC8/382238950751?hash=item58ff37855f:g:8PEAAOSw9t1avnhZ:sc:USPSFirstClass!80816!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=45th+infantry+division+patch&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R2.TR3.TRC0.A0.H0.X45th+inf.TRS0