Paypal thinks I live in Iran-no joke-frozen account

Paypal has frozen my account.
We called today and were asked, I kid you not:
'Do you live in Iran? Do you buy and sell stamps from Iran?'
I told PAYPAL to check my listed address. It is ARIZONA..not the middle east. I have sold and bought stamps on fee-bay for many years. YOU GUYS PAID ME!! Are you serious?
I had to send a statement of all my clubs I belong too. All my membership numbers, mention articles I gave written etc. Sites I sell on.
All because I sell stamps. Didnt this happen in the 30's? Kids telling on their parents? Little black books?
It's a sad day when paypal, that handles your money from stamp sites doesent even know what country you live in, but can charge you their percentage of monthly sales...on time every time.
Blue collar wrench store.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have emailed megan for help and am interested in what hipstamp will say...
  • PayPal has un frozen my account as of 0700hrs rhis morning..
  • Ugh. How frustrating.
  • Doug,
    I have lived in the USA Most of my life. I have sold on fee bay for many years..now out of the blue they, paypal, freezes my account...
    I had to prove I live here!!! I had
    to prove I was a stamp guy.
    700am un frozen..
  • Lee, I know this will be of litle consolation, and what you have relayed about your experience reminds Kitty & I of our early lives in the former Soviet zone, Apple pay, google pay, square and a mirad of others send the transactions through, no problem same thing with our store on Amazon, Iran, Cuba, Sudan and all the rest of the naughty list countries go right through. Yep you can open a stamp & coin store on Amazon. Now we did ask Justin a little over a year ago how sellers are getting by selling these countries on here and he told us, still have that response in printed form on my board here, " We can get around it with PayPal, apparently not......Hmm
  • And we've been through the whole account frozen routine, I would seem to think we need a viable alternative to Pay Pal, it's more than high time. They do this ridiculous crap to sellers because they know they can and if you want to own a store you've gotta open a pay pal account. That is silly, why do I need to open an account that arbitrarily robs sellers all the time when a dispute is opened, seller protection? that's a real joke. We lose about $300 or a bit more one way or another with pay pal, but their day is coming, like I said, with all of these other e payment options coming online one of them is going to kick the crap out of Pay pal. Sites just have to come into the 21st century and allow sellers to accept them,

Really sorry to here about that experience, keep your chin up, theyll freeze it again.
  • I thank you for your kind reply. I hope there is someone coming around to take PayPal place. I sell stamps. I have fun and it keeps the hobby going. I sold on fee bay and had fun. The part that killed me was when asked if I live in Iran..My address is on the account etc. Anyways, I'm back up and
    running. They just told me I cant ship outside of the USA on Iran. Ok..BIG LETTERS...I WILL COMBINE. maybe that did it.
  • I agree, kitty my wife agrees. This is fun, yes money changes hands but if this wasn’t fun we’d all be doing something else. We are glad you are back up and running. Kitty and I talked about what happened to you lee and the more you think about it it really sort of leaves you feeling like a criminal without committing a crime! That’s how PayPal did us. Good luck lee. Keep having fun, don’t let anyone take that from you
  • edited September 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    Have you resolved this Lee ? What a nightmare

I have had numerous run ins with paypal - usually over stupid petty things that they seem to blissfully blow up into a major incident. To be honest it would be easier for me to wage war with the USA single handed with a water pistol than it was to sort some of these issues out ! (BTW - I will not be waging war with the USA - I don't have enough room for the POW;s :-)

On one occassion I send a large shipment to China - no issue there - have sent several before and some to the same buyer. On this occassion he was asked to pay far too much taxes / import duties or what ever and advised me that this was not feasible - so we agreed that the stamps would not be collected by him, but returned by the carrier and that he would pay the delivery cost only. When the stamps arrived back to me I refunded the sum he had paid less the P&P
    paypal jumped on this, and refunded the rest (some £50) without any notice, explanation or correspondence. I complained and had to send proof of sending, evidence that I was not money laundering or transporting drugs or other illegal substances - it took months to resolve this and in the end it was sorted - then they refunded him again !!!! Shame I am not in the USA, I would have taken advantage of your gun laws _ even if it meant having 25 years of free bed and breakfast

However, if you are still in Iran - any chance you can send me some new issues please ? LOL

But I agree - we need another Paypal - preferably with a brain and that listens to our arguments with some logic instead of second guessing. Hippay perhaos ???