Does an SG or Scott number written on the back in pencil put you off buying a stamp ?

edited September 2018 in Chatter 1 LikesVote Down
As I wade through my stamps sorting items to list, I come across a number of stamps which have had their reference numbers lightly pencilled on the back. This I find to be a habit with some smaller stamp shops back in the day. and most of the ones I have come from buying dealers stocks or large lots at auction.

My view ~ well it's probably OK on a used stamp providing it is light enough to remove with a light eraser - but I am not too keen when it's a mint stamp, as removal can disturb the gum.

Now is this just me ? How do others think ?NSW 291

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For any of my collections that strictly contain only MNH stamps, any stamps with anything but pristine original gum get passed over, and that includes any writing or owner's marks. I'm a little more flexible in my collections that aren't limited to MNH, depending on the stamp, but in general prefer no notations whatsoever, even on used stamps.
  • I don't want any marks on the gum side of MNH stamps and will buy Unused stamps that have a number or owner's mark on the gum side depending on the issue. Notations on used stamps are acceptable to me.
  • No, not a huge concern for me but prefer without. It is comparable to having hair on your back.
  • It was common previously. Many 'Old Thyme' collections have pencil notes. I have found them useful with areas I am not so familiar with. Never considered pencil notes an issue when pricing, but always scanned the back.
  • I don't mind if it's a light marking on a used stamp. But for MNH, no - wouldn't like any intentional man-made markings.
  • edited October 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    I just threw away a bunch of Indo-China stamps. How many times must one add the catalog number to the back of a stamp? Some of the stamps had the same catalog number written on the stamps up to three times!. The writing also was so heavily done into the stamp that you could see the number from the front of the stamp. Stamps with writing on them are nothing but garbage. (Please, don't give me the C3a story to justify damage and destruction to stamps by writing on them. That is such a tired, old story.)
  • +1 Michael Generali, and the same thing goes for covers. Notice how on this one, the dealer even drew an arrow, in case you don't know where to find the cancel.

Image1
  • edited October 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    Throwing out stamps with pencil on the back is a bit extreme. This was more a thing of the past doubt anyone still does it. If there is pencil it's probably not wise to erase it as you can easily damage the stamp. Now pen on the back really bothers me.
    Ted, nice cancel but it appears to be more of a flag than a shield.
  • Ok educate a poor aging fogey please - what is a C3a Story

• edited October 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    David fishing is more fun with a rod and reel. Post more stamps to your store, add a link in your profile.
    Regarding C3a Check out https://stamps.org/userfiles/file/MyAPS/Exhibits/jennyexhibit.pdf
  • Related to the C3a story link - I see this past Sept (last month) C3a #49 was discovered and positively identified. Leaving only #66 still missing of the sheet of 100. NY Times article - Sept 6, 2018.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/06/nyregion/inverted-jenny-stamp.html
  • When you can see the catalog number from the front of the stamp, in the trash it goes. Today, I completed work on the Indo-China collection. The official stamps had catalog numbers on the back too. The previous owner wanted to make sure that everyone knew it was an official stamp. He made several over-writes of the letter "O". It was so much so, that on one stamp, the "O" actually fell out. I don't call that a perfin, though. In the trash that one went too.

I find so many crap stamps in collections that I buy, even dealer lots. There are so many millions of most stamps available out there, just get rid of the crap to weed it out of circulation and improve the overall condition of the stamps that are available.
  • edited October 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    Thanks Guys - did not think of Scott ref ; I thought it was more of an acronym or Nomenclature
    - feel disapppointed now
  • I agree with Michael. I think the "every stamp is precious, no matter how folded, spindled, or mutilated" philosophy is extreme.
  • When I started selling stamps, back in the stone ages, it was considered normal to pencil the number and price on the back of the stamp. I did not and received complaints from customers that I was not marking my stamps like other dealers did.
  • Really anoying when it's the wrong Catalouge #. for instance marked as a #148 when it's clearly on soft paper #186.
  • Also Scott's changed their numbering system, early stamps tend to have the correct Cat # but for the earlier system. This is common on the first series U.S. When listed on auction sites some collectors list it as the wrong # due to this ( usually when a collection is passed down to a non collector ).