Flattening Stamps

This may sound like a beginner's question, but I'll ask anyway. After soaking a half or full pond of kiloware, one ends up with a large quantity of stamps. No problems with soaking and drying, but I have not perfected any specific way to flatten them all. If the stamps are placed in a large pile and covered with six Scott catalogs, the results are not too good; they are still partially wrinkled. Any ideas on how to accomplish this task successfully? Thank you very much.

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Its tedious work Mr. Packowski. Give them a bit more time to air dry.. don't pile, spread separately. I do face down & be patient.. 2-3 days will give you that 'professional' look you seek.
  • Also, try not to soak so many at one time. This way you can let them dry on their own and follow Dan's suggestion.
  • Hi Luree !! You are correct. Also change the water & rinse cold several times over several days. Get All of the gum flushed/rinsed off. None of that 'filmy' to the touch. Good to see you here.
  • My sister would soak a bunch of stamps at one time and then lay all face down individually on newspaper and leave until the next day. Some would curl but with time and laid flat with a book or in a 102 card that curl would go away. I remember when we were setting up my Mom's estate sale I came in one day and she had 3 tables with stamps she soaked! It was rather fun at the time. Dan, I pop in every now and again. Good to see everyone here. And yes, change that water often. It amazes me how dirty it can get so fast.
  • And don't soak stamps on colored backing paper with stamps on white backing paper. The color dyes will run and ruin the stamps.
  • Hi Micheal.. are you saying I don't have a very valuable unlisted pink variety?? @ Luree.. I miss your & Ted T's teasing here.
  • edited October 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    I've always used paper towels (no design, or embossing on them) and magazines.

Put well rinsed stamps (I often prop them on side of bowl first so most water drains off first) on paper towel face down, once it is full, put another paper towel on top, and a light magazine on top.

Don't pile too high, can sometimes put a couple/few layers of paper towels between magazines.

Depending on how humid the house is, how many layers it may take a couple days for them to dry completely.

I often do a few layers of paper towels and each morning, night flip the pile and take the magazine off the top for a bit.

Notes:

- one needs to use a magazine one doesn't want to keep as it does it no good.
    - too high/magazines means too much weight and the lower levels will take on the indentations from the paper towels
    - if the stamps aren't rinsed good enough they'll stick to the paper towel and be hard to remove.
    For many years I used newspaper, too, I don't get many newspapers anymore so I use a drying book (stop groaning!).

1, Once the stamps are fully rinsed/clean as others have described, place them face up on the plastic side of the book then soak up excess water with a clean dish cloth. Then cover with 3 pieces of paper towels (as Ron described). Close book and use a catalogue or something of weight on top. I use paper towels to save the absorbency of the velum and extend the life of the book.I've been using the same book for 5 years and I soak stamps almost everyday. You can also save the paper towels and use them again several times.

2. When the stamps are dry - fully dry not damp!- place them on pages in a phone book. Use several pages between each placement and be sure to write down what pages the stamps are on so you can find them. The newsprint type paper will absorb any moisture left in the stamps that we actually don't feel.

3. Then I place the stamps on manila stock pages and cover each sheet with cardstock and a weight on top. After a day the stamps are ready to put in inventory, list, etc. or can remain in this stage until you're ready for them.

I like the book because everything is compact, in one place and I don't have stamps soaking all over the kitchen. Plus, this becomes sort of an assembly line - some soaking, some in phone book, some on stock cards and over and over.
  • I really like it when a Forum question can bring out the best in the Best People.. it has been too long. happy soaking.. happy selling to all here.
  • When I was a kid, I tried to invent faster ways to dry/deal with big soaks.

I tried pulling a pile out of the water and putting the pile in front of the fan in the window (as close as we ever got to air conditioning when I was a kid).

Theoretically the stamps would dry on top and fly off the pile.

Sort of worked, but the old US stamps liked to stick to other stamps more than fly off the pile (probably didn't rinse well enough) and mom didn't like the dry ones blowing off the pile so much.....

So it was back to the paper towels and "Golden wonder books" I had a lot of them, sadly the soaking drying for many years wasn't good for them.....
    I have stated this several times, but some may not know it. I actually hate soaking stamps. On those rare occasions when I do soak a stamp, when it is free from the paper backing, I place it on a paper towel. After the water has been blotted up, I pick up the stamp, place it face down in the palm of my hand up near my fingers, and dry it off with a hair dryer. It only takes a few minutes/. If you do this, be careful, because the air can get quite hot! My hair dryer has a button that lets me instantly shut off the heat. I "toggle" that off and on to keep from burning my hand. Also, make sure to cup your hand slightly to open your fingers to permit the air to blow through and keep the stamp from flying out of your hand. If it does fly out, just pick it up and start over.

As for what I do with all the stamps on paper that I accumulate, JerBear can tell you what I do with those stamps. I have some super nice one accumulating now!
  • I soak as I go. I work with X amount of stamps at a time and if they are on paper or have a hinge I soak right then, blot with a tea towel, turn upside down and place on another towel. Go about my business with working with the rest of the stamps and by the time I'm done, the stamps are dry and ready for whatever the next step shall be.

So many ideas and we all accomplish the same result.
  • I purchased a monster accumulation from a fellow that had access to a lot of stamps many years ago.

He actually cut a hole in his furnace piping and built a removable cover there and a square basket that hung underneath. He put his stack of paper towels (or whatever I never actually asked him) in the basket during the drying process.

Sadly he didn't believe in separating coloured backings out, there was a significant problem with yellow backs and fronts of stamps as a result, which very seriously reduced the value of the overall hoard he had.

Still the drying system he created was very inventive!!
  • To all who responded to my question, I thank you all very much. I have noted that some of my techniques were not the same as written in this forum. I'm sure that I will end up with much better results using the methods described here. Again, thanks.
  • Enjoyed this thread. For the record, I use Luree's sister's method. But I typically soak only relatively small numbers at a time.
  • edited October 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    "As for what I do with all the stamps on paper that I accumulate, JerBear can tell you what I do with those stamps. I have some super nice one accumulating now! "

AUCTION!!! Large accumulation of nice stamps on paper. Really a GREAT deal. Keep an eye on Michael's Store (The Online Stamp Shop) - this is one auction you don't want to miss.
  • edited October 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    Good thread best method is small batches, drying books/paper towels, lukewarm water, and patience. Gel isn't necessary.