Something new to me

I received an email saying that I have an "unclaimed payment" for a new order, and that I must "sign up for a PayPal Business account" in order to claim the payment. But the email seems to have originated with the buyer, a new HipStart member. (He ordered just a single low-value stamp.) Is this legit?

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sounds
    3943ed5840992c391e797d670006e6d0
    to me.
  • Forward the email to PayPal:

spoof@paypal.com
  • Good idea. I did.
  • It is Bogus Doug.. Look at the senders address, its not right.
  • The email did pass through member@paypal.com. Is that what you mean? (The street address appears to be legit.) (?)
  • An email from PayPal will have your name on it in the salutation, "Dear Doug..." Also, a copy of the message will be in your messages in your PayPal account. If those are not there, or if you are not sure, forward the message you received to the spoof email address. PayPal will let you know if it's genuine from PayPal or bogus.
  • Never trust emails no matter how good they look.

As Michael says, log directly into PAYPAL, if whatever the email is trying to tell you is legitimate, it will be there in your PAYPAL account and you can act on it safely from there. (This same thing holds true for emails from Hipstamp, eBay, your bank, your email provider or whatever.....although to be fair I've never received a phishing message purporting to be from Hipstamp yet.... everything else I get them all the time.....)
  • edited October 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    OK, just received word of another order with the same characteristics. I'm thinking this is a PayPal issue but am reporting it here just for the general welfare. Twice within the past 24 hours I got emails with the subject line "You have an unclaimed payment." The email goes on to tell me that I must upgrade my PayPal account to a Business account. There is no invoice # and no PayPal transaction number. There are a couple of links. Both of these orders show up on HipStamp (both with the notice "Payment May be Pending (See PayPal for More Info")) but neither of them appears on PayPal. When I click on the transaction # at HipStamp, PayPal tells me the number is "invalid or missing." Now I'm wondering if somebody has hacked my account and is intercepting payments.
  • edited October 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    I'm going to wait until daylight to see if the issue resolves itself (forwarded a copy of the second email to PayPal), then I'll pursue it with them more aggressively. Again, just thought I'd report this for general consumption.
  • The second order, by the way, is from a well-established, long-term HS buyer.
  • Personally, I wouldn't be sitting around "wondering" if someone was stealing my money, or if the "issue" would resolve itself in a day or two or three. That's like sitting around watching your house burn down and waiting to see if it'll rain in order to put out the fire. I would have forwarded the first message to PayPal when I received it if I had any doubts about it.
  • :D I did forward both messages to PayPal. Thanks again.
  • FYI, everybody, this is what happened. I changed my secondary email address on both HipStamp and PayPal (as I am planning to delete the old email account), but that made the system go haywire. I don't know why exactly. (After all, it's the *secondary* account, not the primary.) In PayPal chat, I was told that "the money had no place to go." After changing the info back, the first order showed up on HipStamp within a couple of minutes. Still waiting for the second one, but it's a rather large order. Live and learn.
  • Personally I call them (PAYPAL), they've always been awesome when I've called, generally wait times are next to zero with them......
  • Chat works very well, too. Prompt and very helpful.
  • 20181012_124901

Oil wells that ends well, eh Doug?
  • Now I can't get into my HipStamp account at all.
  • somebody hack my ebay and gmail account simultaniously, on my gmail they went in and block all emails comming from ebay, and went on a shopping spree on ebay using my feedback, I was able to stop it before any damage was done, I would not wait, call all parties and not only change your passeword, change your security questions too