Blocking specific sellers

1234568»

Comments

• Well, I'm an agnostic Bhuddist, and I married a Presbyterian choir director. But I believe in all holidays, even pagan ones, especially if there are parties or gatherings involved. Smoke em if ya got em!
  • Dave Sheridan said this

Having the right catalogues means you maximise your stock's value.

A case in point. The stamp on the left is Germany 1947, Scott 579 (CV 0.25c), Michel 964 (CV €0.30). The stamp on the right isn't listed in Scott, but it's Michel 964b (black-blue violet), CV €160. One stamp pays for the catalogue.

While it is correct to say that the catalogue value would cover the cost of the catalogue it leaves out other logistics in the equation. First and formost is that it is a very minor variety which means how much time will it take going through bundle ware to locate even 1 of them? How many hours and how many stamps will it take before you locate one? If time is money how much money have you actually spent with all the time going through that bundle ware?

Second as it is a very specialized item in which you're going to need a cert to even sell it to the right buyer.

As I get carton lots in and have quite a bit of volume to work through is it really practical and cost effective for someone like me to work through a single inexpensive stamp that MAYBE has a rare variety that you may find on a wing and a prayer instead of working through the material is far more sell able for someone like me? Is it better for me to work through the cartons and find the $5 to $25 items and get those set up and listed? Time is the biggest factor in some of this.

I do understand what you are saying BUT for some sellers it's NOT practical or cost effective depending on their customer base and business model.
  • I found this in a stockbook of Germany purchased from a well-known auction house. The colour stands out incredibly in natural light. It took me about ten minutes to find, so I think that answers your question.

I disagree that this would need a certificate to sell to the right buyer, any Germany collector will see it for what it is. I also think that the cat value is too low to obtain a cert, when it would be listed for sale at around $75 or best offer.

Horses for courses
  • Greetings all!

I have been with this thread since the beginning and find much valuable information provided by you all.

However, this thread is about blocking buyers and sellers!

If you want to talk about postal procedures, please open a new thread! If you want to talk about the advantages of using various catalogs, please open a new thread!

As long as we talk about anything else but blocking buyers and sellers, we will see no action on our requests.

As far as my input here, we need to be able to block buyers and sellers. We have all our reasons, and our ability to block a select group of people will not affect either our personal bottom line, or HipStamps’ bottom line.
  • From the image that I am seeing the second one just looks like a slightly darker blue then the other and not a black blue violet. That could be from the scanner or the monitor.
  • Steven, you're right of course. The catalogue discussion evolved from my complaint that some sellers can't identify stamps correctly, but yes, it's a soap-box issue for me.

Michael, it's the scan. It's a lovely dark violet colour in the flesh
  • Steve Mahler said this

However, this thread is about blocking buyers and sellers!

If you want to talk about postal procedures, please open a new thread! If you want to talk about the advantages of using various catalogs, please open a new thread!

But the problem that is not dealt with on the postal procedures is the unstated facts that are LEFT out. A number of sellers just assume that it's the buyer that is trying to scam us because they didn't get their order. And because of that a number of sellers want to ban those buyers. Never mind the fact that the sellers that DO NOT follow the postal procedures have opened themselves to having those item confiscated by customs or stolen by other governmental officers or dishonest postal workers. It's not that hard for them to know that their are other things contained within that envelope that are NOT DOCUMENTS. Unless you can prove that the buyer is NOT telling the truth you really have NO way of knowing if it is the buyer or somewhere else along the way. Is blocking the honest buyers the best way to go? Or is the better way to actually get the dishonest buyers banned from the site?

• edited December 2018 1 LikesVote Down
    Just a silly question How many buyers that you have had problems with actually come back to try buy from you? (I am not talking about minor issues. But those buyers that you actually heads with?) Knowing human nature do those buyers actually keep trying buy from you or do they actually move on?

I know myself if I am having issues with a seller I just don't buy from them. What would be the point of blocking someone like me if I wouldn't buy from that seller any more anyways?
  • edited December 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    Hi Michael,

Up to this point, I have not had any buyers come back with follow up purchases. The concept is that if I have had a negative selling experience with someone, my comfort level is satisfied by KNOWING that they cannot purchase any more items from me. Over the years, I have had several instances where buyers have tried to circumvent the system and go directly with PayPal for a refund -- I have a current case where the buyer filed a PayPal dispute after only 7 days! He did not attempt to contact me directly or through HipStamp. I have responded to him, both via HipStamp and PayPal, but he does not respond to my messages.

Once a buyer has filed the PayPal dispute, then it is practically guaranteed that the buyer gets the refund, regardless whether I have responded, provided tracking info, or other information.

As a buyer, I have had a few sellers that I have dealt with that I no longer want to buy from. For example, one ships to USA, but not to an APO (which is for all intents and purposes the same thing except for the customs declaration). This seller has over 11,000 items – so when I am searching for items I frequently come across his material. If I could block him, his material would not come across my screen.
  • Yes, Michel has a color guide. It is extremely useful at times and sometimes not so much. Go on line and can probably find a source to obtain one. Pricey.......
  • If they don't ship to an APO or FPO shouldn't that be fixed by where they ship to?
  • APO and FPO is considered USA. The postage is the same as to anywhere in the US.
  • edited December 2018 0 LikesVote Down
    What I am thinking is that the APOs and FPOs would be a sub menu under US shipping. With the main US being the contiguous US,Alaska and Hawaii would be another sub menu and the APOs and FPOs. A lot of the heavier items some sellers will only ship to the contiguous US.
  • I think they’re all pricey! My one for small/ large queens of Canada was. And yes some people are actually stupid enough to try again. Now I might have gone amiss ( along with a not very well trained postal employee ) but I know my foreign orders are not being confiscated en mass because the feedback comes in from them. And there must be other sellers who missed the postal reform or whatever it is in January because they have had the same issues as us. The pay pal point from Steven is dead on. And thanks Cliff for that Michel color update.
  • Michael Duehr said:

......A lot of the heavier items some sellers will only ship to the contiguous US.

One of the main reasons I want to block some sellers with tens of thousands of listings.
  • Maybe if several dealers once were all up to speed with the postal regulations went to the administration about a problem seller they could block the buyer. We’ve got together with several dealers on here and we’ve all come up with a naughty list of repeat offenders of orders not received. They prefer to remain anonymous but when we have this happen we get on the horn with each other and compare notes, usually it plays out the same. Have had a few come back stating from the receiving country that the address is incomplete or non existent. Which is another problem all on its own. Postal worker told me tracking number no good after it leaves the country? Is that true? If it is in fact true we’d be burned either way. Save for the insurance on the items
  • Oh and another thing, some of these creepy people open an account in a wife’s name or other family name. We have 8 full time employees and all are pulling orders at some point. With that many people pulling orders addresses and names don’t always get “ caught” until after shipping and a problem comes up. I’ve got five people right now who are buying but not the one whose name is on the PayPal account but the name on the address. These are solid buyers, however when we see the problems stated days ago on this thread with not received this is usually something we see going on.
  • David Rueppel,

It depends on the country at the moment, but this is what it will look like later on when all the countries are up to speed.

Tracking History
    September 20, 2018, 10:10 am
    Delivered
    ISRAEL
    Your item was delivered in ISRAEL at 10:10 am on September 20, 2018.
    September 17, 2018, 7:32 pm
    Attempted Delivery Abroad
    ISRAEL
    September 17, 2018, 7:26 pm
    ISRAEL
    September 17, 2018, 7:25 pm
    Arrival at Pick-Up Point
    ISRAEL
    September 17, 2018, 7:23 pm
    ISRAEL
    September 17, 2018, 9:27 am
    ISRAEL
    September 16, 2018, 7:45 am
    Processed Through Facility
    ISRAEL
    September 13, 2018, 5:36 pm
    Departed
    TEL AVIV YAFO, ISRAEL
    September 12, 2018, 11:28 pm
    Departed
    NEWARK, UNITED STATES
    September 12, 2018, 2:54 pm
    Departed
    CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
    September 12, 2018, 11:54 am
    Arrived
    CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
    September 12, 2018, 4:53 am
    Processed Through Regional Facility
    CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 11, 2018, 4:21 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    September 11, 2018, 4:21 am
    Arrived at Regional Facility
    September 11, 2018, 2:36 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    September 11, 2018, 1:12 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 10, 2018, 8:36 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    September 10, 2018, 4:34 pm
    Departed Post Office
    GENESEE DEPOT, WI 53127
    September 10, 2018, 11:07 am
    USPS in possession of item
    GENESEE DEPOT, WI 53127

The scans will in time show all that information but at the moment not all the countries are at that point yet.
  • David,

If your looking at if they will ship to Australia that can already be done. Isn't that just a matter of changing the ships to filter?
  • I was sure we shipped to everywhere, I better go check and make sure pop didn’t somehow monkey up where we ship etc. wow nice showing of how this will look. Most appreciated!
  • Michael, my settings default to "ships to Australia", which is why I get a bit tense after browsing, finding an item, then seeing "ships to US only". There's a glitch somewhere in the system
  • When a dealer agrees to ship internationally, they are then committed to any buyer selecting their goods-whether from a country of some mailing concerns, a brand new buyer with no history of performance, static from mailing costs, and/or the possibility of large purchase amount worries. Some dealers choose not to engage at that level and potentially miss out of significant sales opportunities. I'm wondering if it would be possible for an overseas buyer to contact a domestic seller (US) to inquire about an exemption, laying forth one's request....say, an Australian buyer with feedback history wishing to purchase $50 in merchandise and agreeable to mailing costs. A way to circumvent this all-or-nothing ships to situation. Just a thought.
  • David,

If your settings default to "ships to Australia", then seeing "ships to US only". There's a glitch somewhere in the system.
    Then shouldn't that be fixed so that ALL the buyers from Australia are seeing the same thing? Shouldn't the problem be taken care of in the first place instead of using a band-aid to just ignore that problem?
This discussion has been closed.