US Scott 9x1 with A.P. on back ????

9x1-back402
The above image shows the back of a stamp which otherwise appears to be a US Scott #9x1 with the typical ACM initials on the front. Does anyone know what if any significance is represented by the A.P. (apparently in pencil) on the back. Those initials would appear to me to be relatively recently made, but I have no idea what that may mean...if anything. Thanks for any help in this. Ken

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Probably a nim-rod who had to write his initials on the back of the stamp to show that he owns the stamp.
  • The British Guiana 1c magenta has 8 owners marks on the back.
  • Why do people respond with the major exceptions whenever someone complains about writing on the backs of stamps? Like that justifies it? I personally am tired of seeing stamps listed as MNH that have writing on the back. Those stamps are not in any way in hell MNH, and they are nothing better than damaged, especially when the moron collector presses down so hard on the back of the stamp that the pencil marks are embossed into the stamp.
  • Thanks for the comments. My wife is an artist and when I saw those initials "A.P." I thought about the phrase "artist's proof" ,,,which made me think maybe this was some kind of proof or essay. I guess I was over-thinking this and ignored the most logical explanation ..."a little knowledge can be dangerous." (At least the initials, though distinct on the back, have made no impression onto the stamp itself...probably used a relatively soft pencil.)
  • perhaps it is as simple as you first stated - A.P. = Apparently in Pencil
  • Many many years ago when I started in this crazy stamp business it was common for collectors to backstamp or write their initials o the back of a stamps. It was also common for dealers to pencil the catalogue number and price on the back of stamps that they sent out on approval.
  • edited February 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    I'm going out on a limb and thinking Michael isn't into tattoos including tramp stamps :smiley: Regardless, nice stamp.
  • Andrew, you are correct.
  • I've always found the experts mark to be interesting as opposed to the owners. It was generally a European standard. https://www.filatelia.fi/experts/index.html