Notifications when a particular item is posted to HS?

Is there a way to be notified by email when a specific item is added to HS? I've been on HS forever but haven't found a way. I have some specific hard to find items that I manually search for, constantly hoping they show up. Occasionally I'll luck out and find one that was recently listed. Since I purchase zillions of inexpensive items (I collect the whole world!), I'm usually not ready to place an order for just that stamp, so I start to put an order together that includes it, but it sells before I can do that. I'm guessing because someone else was notified? I'm happy for them, but not so much for me. I'd sure like to know about some items as soon as they're posted. Thanks.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe Mark commented in another forum recently, that the idea of a want list was being kicked around this quarter. Hope that plays out.
  • edited April 2019 5 LikesVote Down
    Yes, we're on track to launch a new version of our Want List service this quarter. Here's an early mockup of what the list itself will look like. In conjunction with this, we will also have the option for automated emails with new results.

• edited April 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    Question, under Catalog Number, will that only apply to Scott numbers or will there be a way to add the others like Stanley Gibbons, Yvert or Michel?
  • Mark, thanks. I used the Want List a few times and wasn't sure how it worked or if it sent any notices, so I stopped putting items on it. The new version with the priority buttons looks really great. My personal "high priority" items are ones I manually search for a few times a month hoping they've shown up since I last checked. I look forward to having it let me know automatically when something shows up!
  • Good question Luree. I'm guessing that until HipStamp's catalogue cross reference is developed this is going to be just another feature only available for the US buyers and sellers using Scott. I'd love to be wrong. :(
  • To Micky Flynn, Why Not open a pre-approved account with the seller that has that elusive stamp. Reserve the stamp using this format and message the dealer that you would like to add more items over the next week or so and pay then. I am sure nobody will refuse.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/harry-patsalos-philatelics
  • I am excited for this new feature as there are some elusive stamps out there. I think a bulletin board for sellers to see what is demanded would be valuable for posting. Also a cloud visually showing which stamps/countries are selling the most frequently.
  • On HipStamp, you can already search using different Catalogs.

When you enter your search, you can prefix the Catalog Number with any Catalog Abbreviation, for examples, SG, Mi, YV, etc. So you can easily search for Great Britain SG2, etc. If no prefix is used, Scott Catalog is the default.

Your search results will match listings for the appropriate Country and Catalog Number. As a Seller, you can list your items using any Catalog, and you have the option to list your item with multiple Catalogs.

The new Want List feature will work the same way, so yes, you can indicate/use any Catalog you want, and we'll show you corresponding items listed with those Catalog numbers.
  • awesome! Can't wait for it to roll out.
  • So let me clarify what Mark said. If you use SG numbers in the Want List, only listings with SG numbers will be shown. If you use Scott in the Want List, only Scott numbers will be shown. So, lets say a seller primarily uses SG numbers (such as myself) and you create a Want list only using Scott numbers, then NONE of my listings will ever show. To use the Want list effectively you will want to include BOTH SG and Scott numbers for every one of your want listed items.

Mark, when will the long awaited catalogue cross reference be available?
  • Thanks for your comment Harry. My situation is such that I buy inexpensive items. I'd be hard pressed to say I've spent over $20 on a single stamp. I collect the whole and there are some odd gaps. Stamps that I can't find online or at stamp shows. Many of them are under $1.00 but either haven't shown up on HS, or they sell before I notice it's there. It would be great to know almost immediately when a new item I'm determined to find is posted. I remember way back, probably before Bidstart, when the site was called StampWants, that notification feature was present. I'd been looking for Argentina 470-472, the only stamps I'm aware of that were issued to mail phonograph records. They showed up one day and I got an email and purchased them that day. Those are among the more expensive items I've purchased. Current catalog value is $80.50 and I believe I paid about $28.00 - which I never really do! They were perfectly centered, very lightly hinged and I was happy! I'll stop boring everyone now.
  • Not boring... nice story Micky. The thrill of the hunt, and the victory of the awesome find... tugs at the heartstrings of many of us! As we wait for the feature, you might be able to post your list on a Google form or Google sheet, share it 'read only' and then post the link in a forum post. Sellers can search their inventories and post listings that match, hopefully by the next time you go to look! Worth a shot, I guess. With the link, you can maintain the list real-time as you make acquisitions.
  • Doug, thanks for your kind words. Interesting concept. I think it would work for those dealers that might want to take the time to look at it. Of course, as I say, I'm looking for some very inexpensive items, but that's what I personally love about HipStamp, being able to purchase exactly the stamps I want.