That Generali guy is everywhere

For years, I've been tossing any covers received with interesting frankings, markings, and the like into a box and today, I know not why, decided to straighten the whole mess up. Imagine my surprise when I found this amongst the hoard...Generali 2

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The General always sends wonderful stamps, all lined up nice and straight (chuckle). Great cover!
  • Generali speaking, anyway.
  • By the way, George, I believe that is a rare usage of the Germany 1 Million Mark stamp on cover. You might want to put that up for a auction with a starting bid of $300, and a Buy It Now of $900.
  • A tri-country combo cover, yet. WOW!
  • About a year ago, I purchased a lot of covers at my Stamp Club Auction. One of the covers was from our own Dave Bennett.
  • Dave's covers are unmistakable, and great to own!
  • Yeah, but he hasn't written any books, like you have, General, Sir!, that one can display on their bookshelves for all to see!!
  • Dave's cover was just a normal non-philatelic cover. I should have specified that in my original post. Well, it was going to a stamp dealer but not one of his cacheted covers.
  • edited May 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    If that german stamp on a cover with USA stamps sent in the usa which can be done on multiple occasions any time of the year would be worth so much ( like Ted Tyszka said between $300 to $900 ) , the how much would a cover sent and postmarked 05.05.05 being a solid date ( that only falls 12 times in a century be valued at ) and some wont be done as they fall on weekends when post offices are not open in australia , making the items even scarcer and possibly be valued more?? I only have ever seen one and here it is. I actually own it. ... pictures attached Solid date Cover
    Solid date postmark
  • To be even mildly desirable, an 'event cover' needs to have concordance: a noticeable connection or agreement between the cachet, the event and the franking . . . none of which seems to be evident in the cover you displayed.

The cachet is 25 years out of date, the stamps have no relation to the event, and if they were all denominated or $5 they would at least relate to the 5/5/05 date of the postmark (which occurs only ONCE a century, not 12 times).

Probably most damaging to your belief that this cover might be 'valuable' . . . is the fact that it was not prepared by Michael Generali! :smiley: