Price gouging

Guys, don’t take 42 cent flag stamps and sell them for 3-4 times face because they come in a block or are nice issues. You would sell more if you dropped the price to something reasonable.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Also, it’s insulting to ask 2.00 for a stamp that actually cats for .25 cents We are not stupid
  • With the costs involved in selling, both here and by other methods, the seller will probably be losing money selling the 25 cent stamp for $2.00. Paypal has minimum gouge of .35 plus percentage, Hipstamp has a charge, the cost of mailing has not gone down, ie to mail a stamp to the US from here in the frozen tundra costs a minimum of $CAD1.27, and there can be a labour cost. The minimum wage here (Ontario) is CAD$14 per hour, or 23 cents a minute. We all love a bargain, but those of us who are in this business to make a living have to price things to cover our costs.
  • It would be nice if there were a minimum order threshold. Then these inexpensive stamps that people want to buy could be sold reasonably. But Mr. Jorgensen is correct, when I sell a stamp for 37 cents, even my shipping charge does not cover the Hipstamp fees, PayPal fees, envelope, postage, and driving to the post office (which I will do even if that is the only sale of the week). If anyone is insulted, I'm sure that customer can move on to other dealers who have no problem with losing money or who don't mind the costs of selling stamps because they love philately.
  • edited June 2019 2 LikesVote Down
    If only time was unlimited and envelopes, tape, and postage were free...everyone might be happy. Oh yeah and a free app that could automatically identify the stamps number correctly...
  • "everyone might be happy"

Nah. There'd be those who would complain that shipping takes too long. (It should be delivered within 24 hours by how some think.)
  • "(It should be delivered within 24 hours by how some think.) " That seems like an excessive amount of time....
  • To philatejas - I am only Mr Jorgensen to Police Officers and Canada Revenue Agency auditors. To the rest of the world I'm Dennis, or hey you - the tall fat guy with little hair on top. :)
  • PHILATEJAS , JUST WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK S/H CHARGES ARE FOR? ALL FEES , EXPENSES & POSTAGE ETC. IF YOU AREN'T MAKING MONEY ON YOUR SALE THAT IS YOUR FAULT.
  • Yes Mr. Mathis, I could charge $3.00+ for each 37 cent stamp, but this thread started with the idea that a 25 cent stamp should not be charged outrageous fees. Do you even know what the IRS credits you with for a 5 mile trip to the post office to mail this 37 cent stamp? It's over $2.50--do you bother to put that in your S/H charge also?

If you would bother to reread my post, it was that I WISH that Hipstamp had a minimum order. Then my shipping/handling charge would be quite satisfactory.
  • One thing so far not mentioned in this thread is the potential "investment" in filling an order for a single, low-value stamp. I've had buyers pick up a 25-cent stamp from me, and although I have to admit this originally stuck in my craw, I came to realize that if this small order is filled quickly and professionally, as though the buyer just bought a set of MNH Zepps,, the buyer will take notice of how the transaction was handled. I've had several buyers, who either needed a single stamp to fill that last space on a page or for an exhibit, or were simply "testing the waters," come back and buy a slew of stamps from me at a later date. I keep my prices reasonable (if not comparatively low) and maintain a flat $1 S&H fee regardless of whether one stamp is being bought or 100, with the rationale of treating buyers the same way I would like to be treated when I'm buying for my collections. Selling this way, in my mind, is an intangible "investment" in creating a good relationship with buyers, even if any profit is minimal (or even if there is a loss, which quite honestly, has never happened to me...I keep strict records and would know if I took a beating). I guess one advantage in my particular case is my selling pursuits are strictly as a hobbyist, so my survival doesn't depend upon larger profit margins which may be the case for professionals who do this for a living. Anyway, my point is that treating buyers fairly, even for a 25-cent sale, may still pay off in the long run, and I see no need for HipStamp to instigate a minimum order policy. In fact, having one in place might actually back-fire by affecting future sales and not in a positive way.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/docgfd-coversnstamps
    https://www.hippostcard.com/store/docgfd-postcards

• PHILATEJAS , WHY DO YOU RUN 5 MILES TO THE POST OFFICE TO MAIL A .37 STAMP? I LIVE 10 MILES FROM A POST OFFICE BUT I WILL USE A THING CALLED A MAILBOX.. I'VE SOLD ON HERE FOR 15 YEARS & I'VE NEVER CHARGED MORE THAN 1.10 FOR S/H AND ON A STAMP SOLD FOR TWELVE CENTS I WILL MAKE .01. BUT THAT HARDLY EVER HAPPENS. SO CUT OUT RUNNING TO THE POST OFFICE AND YOU'LL BE FINE.
  • Sellers could lower shipping fees if HipStamp did not charge a final value fee for the shipping fees.
  • I'd love to just put in in the mailbox!!! The thieves in big cities would love it too!!! Good for you that you don't have to worry about that. I'LL JUST FINISH IN ALL CAPS LIKE YOU THAT THIS IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY: I WAS JUST HOPING FOR A MINIMUM OF A FEW BUCKS, BUT IF THAT REQUEST CAUSES SO MUCH ANGST ON THIS FORUM I WON'T WORRY ANYONE ANYMORE.
  • So what we can all decide is, different strokes for different folks. Variety is the spice of life. If you don't like something about one seller then simply say Next and move on to one that better suits your needs/wants. We will all charge a different shipping cost and we will all have our own reason as it why. So be it. Always check the shipping before you invest in time shopping that store. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby and there has been a disturbance in the force. Opinion's and viewpoints are always welcome! I learn from others speaking up. Keep the thoughts coming …
  • Lets be nice here. No need to be angry and say things that are not philatelically related. This is way off the subject.

My suggestion is for the two of you to take a break and then continue on the messaging system. I don't want/need to see this type of bickering. Not needed!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.