Plate vs Stamp

I see both categories listed, but I don't know the difference.
I know it's probably a basic question, but it's been bugging me for years.
Please be gentle!

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited June 2019 3 LikesVote Down
    The "stamp" is only a stamp.
    Plate refers to one of two things:
    1. On a coil stamp it will refer to one stamp in a string of coil stamps with a small plate number at the bottom of the stamp. These can be collected as a single stamp with the number or a strip of three with middle stamp having the number or most commonly a strip of 5 (PNC 5) the middle stamp having the number. Note the long strip of stamps with a number on the middle stamp.
    2, A block of stamps from the corner of a sheet with the selvage having one or more plate numbers. Usually it is a block of 4 but not always.

1009PB
    4734a

• Let me try a different image for the strip:
    4734a short
  • edited June 2019 2 LikesVote Down
    The plate is the metal printing plate used to impress the images onto a sheet of paper that becomes a sheet of stamps. Multiple plates would be created for the production of one stamp issue, and each plate had a number inscribed in it (the plate numbers Wayne speaks of, above), that appeared in the margin of the sheet. If a flaw appeared on a sheet of stamps -- perhaps from a chip or crack in the plate -- the plate number allowed the printer to identify which plate contained the flaw, and repair it or remove it from production.

You may have been confused by seeing a listing where the dealer is selling a "Plate block." As in Wayne's 1st image, that refers to a block of 4 (or more) stamps that includes the plate identification number in the margin. You will also see it called a "plate number block."
  • A plate is something that shouldn't ever come close to anything related to your stamp collection, especially if it holds a small mountain of something tasty like spaghetti doused with spaghetti-sauce. Those little orange spatters wreak havoc on stamps (and album pages), at times making watermark identification difficult as all get out. Plus, the sauce makes hinges turn orange when you lick them. Plates of cookies are a bit safer, but they can make your fingers oily and the crumbs look unsightly when caught in stamp mounts. Plates of M&M's are OK (Match & Medicine revenues, or the candy) as these melt in your mouth...not in your hand, or so they say (hinge licking still an issue, however). As you can well imagine, plates encompass a huge topic. Oh yeah, and what Ted and Wayne so aptly described and explained.

PS: Never worry about asking a question here...we're all learning together and there's almost always someone that can provide an answer.
  • edited June 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    Thanks everyone! My confusion arises particularly (as opposed to most of the time) when viewing listings for British stamps. There is one particular listing for "Great Britain QV 1d red plates 71-96 missing 2 only". They are all singles (stamps?!). I can't see any numbers on them. I tried to upload the image, and of course, I couldn't get it to.
  • I thought you meant when the wife screams stop working on stamps and do the dishes!
  • Robert The Plate Numbers in the QV reds are in the loops of the scroll work that runs vertically on each side of the stamp. You will need about a 5X power loop to see them.. 1/2 way up/down inside the engraving. They will read sideways if your holding the stamp upright. Scott lists & values the numbers. don't give up once you spot one it becomes routine. Sadly cancels can cover on a used stamp.
  • OK - plate numbers on GB#33. Hard to read sometimes especially when hiding behind a cancel. Here is a plate #94. It is visible on both sides of the stamp - I have cropped and rotateed the number on the right side - look for the "94". aa
    BB
  • edited June 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    Depending on the GB issue, the plate numbers are located in the lattice work on either side of the vignette and are difficult to see without magnification.
    Edited to add, while I was typing, some fine folks beat me to it.
  • There is a worthwhile book 'Collect British Postmarks' by Dr. J.T. Whitney that can help ID the Numeral Duplex Cancels Mr. DeKornfeld has illustrated a nice '575' which is Norwich. If you have a lot of them it is not expensive. I am always happy to look something up for you too. Dan
  • This is fantastic! I NEVER would have figured this out without you all. Thank you so much.
    This has added a new dimension to this wonderful hobby. The illustration was very 'ahem' illustrative.
  • edited June 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    Riddle me this: What does that stamp and this song have in common? :smiley: (hint: not a plate number)
  • Dan

I've been using an old copy of British Post Office Numbers 1844-1906 by Brummel supplemented by Volume I of Robson Lowes The Encyclopedia of British Empire Postage Stamps.for early stampless and auxiliary markings. I find it easy to get "lost" in both. Is the Whitney book easy to follow?
    I bought a shoebox full of #33's back in the 80's so have had a lot of practice looking for the numbers. Probably 2/3rd's of them have been strung but I think that is part of the charm..
  • Hi Carol,
    This is the table of contents in the Whitney
    1.Free Franks 2.London Local post to 1839 3. Marks of the Provisional Post to 1839 4. Early Scottish markings. 5. early Irish markings. 6. P.O. reforms 1839-1844 inc. Maltese Crosses. 7. Numerals Spoons & duplexes. 8. squared circles. 9.later circular handstamps inc. hooded shields & skeletons .10. Machine cancels 11. Slogans 12. special events 13. railway 14. Maritime markings 15. Military & camps 16. Aviation 17. the Islands and many more modern.. royalty, tourist etc. The book is 350 pages. The most important thing Carol is Every thing is PRICED..
    I use it a lot.. if you do covers at all it is a great tool.. trust me.. many covers I paid US$10. Bill Barrell .paid me GB Pound 50.or 60. I recommend the book Carol.. Dan
  • Thanks Dan

Carol
  • Dan - Would you happen to know the date of the most recent book by Whitney? I've seen a 1983 and a 1987 edition for sale, but nothing newer.
  • George- Mine is a 1997...The worthwhile info will be the same, but the price guides will vary. You will still be able to see the scarcer items in perspective.. I think you will be just fine with the 1987.
    Philatelic literature always pays for itself. .
  • Always ! Thanks, Dan.
  • I have just ordered the 1993 (used) edition of the Whitney for C$17.25 plus shipping. I can't wait. Incidentally a new one is over C$250.00.
  • That is a great price Robert... I like your style.. build your philatelic library as you build your collection. Diversify.. the Scott catalog is just one source. Your humble & respectful manner has made you friends here. The Forums are a valuable resource, don't be a stranger.
  • I have just ordered "British Post Office Numbers 1844-1906" from Abe Books. Thanks again everyone!
  • I just ordered a new copy of the Whitney 1987 on sale on Phil Bansner's website for $8.50. He still has a 1983 edition for sale for anyone interested.