1969 Art Craft "First Man on the Moon" 10 cents FDC's Prices "ROCKET" on Ebay

P1010167 (1)

So I've had a small stock of these First Day Covers with the "Moon Landing Date" cachet on them for years. I have struggled to sell them here and on ebay for just £2.50.

Now it's the 50th. Anniversary week I have seen prices for these covers "rocket" (excuse the pun) on ebay to £32.00 .................... Indeed I have had sales recently of these covers myself of between £8.50 and £13.05

It's great what an anniversary will do to regenerate interest in stale old stock!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes the above photo is of a "Fleetwood cover" ..............but the same price increases apply.
  • edited July 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    One small step for mankind, one huge leap for Tania! I'm still waiting for all the Elvis stamps I purchased to skyrocket.
  • I sell comics on HipComic. The same thing happened with the announcement of the upcoming female Thor movie. The comic #1 issue made its own moon shot and all my copies got scarfed up. Unfortunately, I was caught flat-footed. I didn't know about the 4 to 8-fold (depending on the cover) price increase until all my copies were sold. LOL
  • edited July 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    Just taking the Fleetwood example shown above there are 32 available on HipStamp with prices from $0.50 (addressed) all the way to $9.99 (un-addressed). That's a 20 fold price range for essentially the same cachet cover (excluding shipping cost variations). It would appear that those buyers on eBay might be better off buying here!
    https://www.hipstamp.com/browse/?keywords=c76+fleetwood&parent_id=12&sort=price_asc
    Interestingly in the last three months 9 C76 Fleetwood FDC have sold on eBay for between $0.99 and $10.00
  • Thanks for the data, Dr Research! :smiley:
  • Result - another example of the fleetwood cover shown sold for me tonight for £16.00 on ebay.

Happy days - that's over 3 months advertising on hipstamp paid for by just one cover.
  • Michael.................. let's keep that quiet. I don't want my potential customers finding them so cheap over here!
  • These prices are on ebay.co.uk - my buyers have been from the UK, Italy, Spain, Portugal and Costa Rica so far.
  • There are two versions of the Fleetwood Cover you show. One, the "error cover" has the quote around the edge and top as "on small step for a man". The "non error" changes the "a man" to "man". I don't know which covers are on ebay, but some dealers charge more for the "error" cover.
    Either that or its the other way around.....
    Hmmm...what did I come in here for???
  • Wayne: That's an interesting point!
    In the case of HipStamp offerings both the least expensive 50 cents, and the most expensive cover $9.99, have the "a man" error but likely the sellers were not aware of the possibility of an error, or at least did not draw attention to it in the description
  • HS27401
    An interesting use of that Fleetwood Cachet (correct quote) and C76 for the anniversary of Man's First Flight 12/17/1903
  • Michael,
    Actually Severe doesn't even list an error cachet. Most likely both were printed in giant quantities and are worth about the same.
  • I just realized it's a Fleetwood cover. No wonder Severe doesn't list it.
    I going to get a glass of warm milk then lie down for a while.