Timer on auctions

Disappointed!!! The clock timer on a recent auction I was bidding on was obviously off. The timer was ticking away and it appeared to be just over 3 minutes left to bid. So I was going to put in one more higher bid with the hopes of securing the stamp I was bidding on. Nope! It was done. Really? How does this happen? I've never had an issue with the "other" site. In fact I've gone down to less than 10 seconds and was successful. 3 minutes? I know my internet is one step up from dial up, but 3 minutes?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I've had the same issue in the past, but discovered the issue was relying on the wrong clock timer. I have found that if I go to the actual stamp I want, I can place my bid without confirming it. The clock continues to run in real time and I confirm my bid with 2-3 seconds left and it is always accepted. However, I might not win, if someone else has posted a proxy bid that was higher than mine, I loose, but my bid was accepted.
  • The way in which the auction countdown timers work is that when you load any page on HipStamp, once the page has loaded, it syncs time with our servers, so your Internet browser knows exactly how much time is left - it then starts counting down from there. However, if you leave the page open, and then move to another tab, your computer goes to sleep, etc. the countdown timer could eventually become out of sync, particularly if your own computer has a different time than ours.

However, if you refresh the page, it would resolve any discrepancy. So if you leave HipStamp open, and you're not viewing it for an extended period of time, when you come back to the tab you've left open, if you refresh the page it should be fine.
  • Are there any sniping programs available for Hipstamp? If not there should be.