Mexican "SP" stamps

I recently acquired a collection of miscellaneous Mexican stamps. Included were several stamps (mostly talons, but some complete) inscribed "SP". Thus far I have not been able to identify the purpose they fulfilled. Are these revenues of some type? Is there a listing or catalog for these? All help appreciated!

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "(mostly talons, but some complete)"
    I don't understand what "talons" means, here.

A scan would be most helpful. Are these classic stamps, or modern issues? Do you mean "inscribed" or "overprinted?"
  • edited August 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    istockphoto-135812991-612x612
    SP = spanish postage?
  • Is this the one you mean?
    Mexico 574

The inscription means, "Servicio Postal Mexicano." Mexican Postal Service
    This issue was a one-off, with all subsequent issues saying, "Correos Mexico." Mexico Post.
  • The stamps appear to be from the 1930's &1940's and are not overprinted. My memory was faulty: the stamps are inscribed "Mexico E.P." and are denominated anywhere between 1 centavo to 1 peso. Some are dated from 1931 to 1944, with one cancellation dated Oct. 10, 1945. They come in two connected parts. The top part is twice as large as the bottom section. Talon refers to the stub section.

I'm including a Kindle photo, but these lose a lot of detail and I don't have any other digital camera.IMG_20190810_0909129_rewind
  • Sorry. I don't know why selecting "upload an image" turns it sideways!
    "SP = spanish postage?"

Servicio Paloma
  • stupid_man-2
    It's not ???
    Those are revenue stamps, where the stamp would go on a documemt, and the talon would go on a receipt. But, I haven't been able to figure out what's up with EP.
  • Come on guys. When someone, especially a beginner, comes on here to ask a legitimate question, some of you start with the childish humor and cockiness. That is disrespectful and intimidating. We need to attract people to our hobby, not turn them away.
  • I think Ted is being very helpful.
  • Actually, I like the humor, but my question remains unanswered. ¿Surely HipStamp boasts some collectors and dealers with some knowledge of Mexican revenues?
    Keith, check this old discussion thread, and send a private message to Kurt, and see if he might be able to provide some insight for you. (Kurt hasn't been on the boards since last year, so you may not have any luck contacting him.)
    https://www.hipstamp.com/forums/discussion/160/mexican-revenue-stamps
  • Thanks - I'll do just that!
  • Luis, I don't believe these forums need be merely dispassionate philatelic discussions. We are collectors, yes, but there are personalities behind the posts and as such, humor may serve as some relief to otherwise routine academic exchanges. Admittedly, I probably do push the "envelop" (oh gee, there I go again) with the banter, but I do trust others will speak to the matters of inquiry. Please don't feel disrespected, it isn't intended, but rather consider we are a commonly-bonded family, feeling comfortable enough with each other that we can engage at an informal level. Pertinent answers seldom fail to find their ways here, and in fact, one has to marvel just much wealth of information there is found on this site. Hope this helps alleviate a perception of disregard or dismissal on my part. BTW I did search without results as to Ted's EP notation. Please feel welcome and not offended by side remarks. If anything, Hipstamps posters are consistently helpful and supportive.
  • Thanks for clarifying things Ron. I apologize if I came on too strong.
  • No response received from Kurt Lange.
  • Keith, Yes there is a Semi Recent Catalogue for Mexican Revenues But from Looking at the scan of your page I don't think the price of the catalogue is justified. The Black Stamp with the 10 at center maybe better I don't recall seeing it (probably would need a better image). If you decide to start collecting Mexican Revenues then buy the catalogue I think it is available as a download as well as hard copy. I would recommend the Printed book I find it easier flipping pages as my preferred method of searching for items.

Stamp Collecting can be an enjoyable pastime and most people are helpful. Don't take the Jokesters to heart they mean no harm. They are just frustrated because they haven't been able to find that 1 stamp that completes page 7 in their album.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/harry-patsalos-philatelics

• I don't have any great interest in collecting Mexican revenues - these were part of a fairly extensive Mexican postage stamp collection I purchased. My interest in starting this thread was to hopefullu, and cheaply, pick the brain of some knowledgable dealer or collector as to what E.P. stands for. So far, the mystery remains unsolved.

Harry, the stamp you reference is a verically-oriented talon in dark green, and which does not carry the "E.P." reference. A better camera is beyond my budget, at present.
    Kurt would probably know but he hasn't chimed in yet. My guess would be express permission.
  • edited August 2019 1 LikesVote Down
    There's a terrific message board, highly active, and with a load of members called The Stamp Community Family (Forum), and it can be found at: >https://www.stampcommunity.org/Default.asp<; My only hesitation in mentioning them is that I hope this forum doesn't run dry by my posting it. Anyway, to make the point, I posted a question about the 'E.P.' on these stamps, and within 10-minutes received a reply that included this (and it was a reply my respondent had received about his question on the same stamps at an earlier time, so things like the denomination may not exactly fit your example(s), but all else does:

a

• Nice find George, nips that one in the bud!
  • The "S. P" is probably a territory that is stamped onto the revenues. This one is more than likely "S. Papasquiaro" The remainder being on a removed talon.
    Steve
    Moreland Revenue Stamps
  • Forget "S.P.", that was an error on my part. The stamps I have that bear an abbreviation all say "MEXICO E.P." (or "MEX. E.P."). After close examination I find that none so inscribed bear a date. I have one orange 25¢ talon that says "1944 MEX.", the same talon design that I have bearing a postmark of Oct 10 1945 says "E.P. MEX." and is in brown. So I think the article is right and the "E.P." designates only that Mexico has discontinued year-dating them. The talon design is actually a continuation of the main stamp design rather than the same image (an anvil is the design on the 1¢ talon attached to the 1¢ stamp picturing a blacksmith swinging a hammer). The EP revenues in my purchase range from 1¢ to 1 peso.

Thanks, George, for going out of your way to find the answer to my obscure question!
  • You're welcome anyway! :-)
    Steve