Quality listings..why do they list junk?

These should never be listed on hipstamp.a0e21fb8a38ea4ab15ae56754b7dae40-800

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is a current listing..please help.
  • That shouldn't be listed ANYWHERE !
  • You would be surprised what gets listed. Please pass this on to HIP..not only worry about fake listings but how about the stamps? Complete intact and of good quality..
    Thanks..
  • "That shouldn't be listed ANYWHERE !"

Not even on a list that lists what shouldn't be listed.
    (Because it should be obvious.)
  • Maybe this is the seldom seen "the rest of the stamp is still in the printing press" rarity...
  • Has anybody messaged the seller? Maybe they are new and need a little guidance that a ripped stamp really will not sell. Maybe they don't know about the Holocaust Project as they are the ones that could utilize that stamp.
  • The seller is asking 0ne cent for this stamp..Very discouraging.
  • That's a listing that will be around for a very long time.
  • Guilty!
    My rationale was just: heck, somebody might want it (as part of a larger order) for a penny, but I had doubts from the get-go. (I have already donated to the Holocaust Project, which I think is finished now.) OK, I can take a hint. It's gone!
  • Doug, say it isn't so with this stamp. You have me smiling right now. Actually a silly grin is more like it. :wink:
  • Lee - it is surprising what sells. While you might not like seeing stamps listed of poor quality, some collectors want them and sellers should be allowed to list as they see fit. We don't need Hip to impose a "quality" requirement.

I purchased a large inventory from another seller on HipStamp a couple of yeas ago that was transferred to my store. Included were some poor quality stamps that I would not have listed. Some were torn, had corners missing, were in two pieces, badly discolored or poorly centered. I planned on removing these from inventory as time permitted, but to my surprise some began to sell.

I then realized this site attacks a wide variety of collectors with individual collecting interests, including those who want what the average collector considers "junk".

On one occasion, a buyer only purchased a very poorly centered common mint stamp. It felt bad sending it, as it's quality was what I considered "trash", so I also included a VF copy of the same stamp at no cost. I received a message from the buyer "thanking" me for including the stamp he ordered. That was the one he wanted for his collection. He didn't want the one I would include in my collection.

Doug - you shouldn't have felt bullied into removing the stamp. You listed it at a fair price and perhaps it would have sold someday. Now you will never know....
  • edited August 2019 0 LikesVote Down
    Thanks very much for your kindness, John. (I really do feel much better now.) I should add that another reason I listed the stamp in the first place was that there were no used copies of US 2857 available at HipStamp at the time. As far as I can tell, there are none now.
  • Oh gosh, Doug I really do hope you didn't feel bullied. Not the intention at all. And it is a shame there are no used stamps of this copy. Sending {{{{{hugs}}}}}}
  • Thanks, Luree! I didn't feel bullied (by you!). All hugs welcome.
  • Doug, you shouldn't have felt bullied by anyone here. Clearly you're free to list anything you wish but you yourself said you had misgivings at first, and come on, this wasn't a pulled perf or a corner crease or a thin.....almost one-third of a common stamp is missing ! I think selling a minimal value stamp in this horrendous condition just makes a seller look bad (see....we were doing you a favor, lol), but am sorry if you were offended.
  • Sometimes Dealers forget being 16 - working part time as a bag boy and saving for 1) college 2) a car 3) Tux rental for the prom and 4) Stuff for the stamp collection. Back then a pulled perf or 3 hinges piled on the back would have been gold. I have been guilty of looking at a stamp and tossing it into the "someday I'll make up packets" pile or the trash. I (and we dealers) forget that the stamps we define as trash might just be of value somewhere. After all, one of our goals should be to encourage young (read poor) collectors.
  • George, your opinion is perfectly valid and most welcome. Input from seasoned collectors and sellers is always of value, and yes, I do feel you all did me a favor! Every time I came across that listing when reviewing my store I thought "I really should take that down." Again, the main reason I listed it in the first place was that there were no used copies (other than FDCs) of that issue available on HS at the time, and I think that's still true today.
    Wayne, thanks for your encouragement. Another thing about this is that I just hate to throw stuff away if I think somebody somewhere would like to have it!
    Thanks again to all.
  • Encouraging young collectors is easy enough given the humongous pool of inexpensive stamps available without giving them a stamp that looks like its been down the kitchen disposal and back up again. Kids are smart enough to know when half a stamp is missing. "Here's your new bicycle, Johnny." "Thanks, but shouldn't it have tires?"
  • I once knew this old guy who liked to collect injured stamps the best even the badly damaged ones most would throw out. To each their own, whatever makes you happy is best.
  • I donated a bunch of sound stamps with some worth over $1 to some charity in Brooklyn (Brooklyn Boys Club?). I never ever received a simple thank you. Ungrateful b*****ds! Hehe.
  • A hint? I'm confused. News letter for the IPDA has 'his' demise as 1938. The stamp has it as 1933-did you see it?

Good luck to all
  • edited August 2019 1 LikesVote Down