Microsoft Ends Support for Windows 7 (January 14, 2020)

For your information, I received this message from Microsoft today:

"When Windows 7 reaches end of support on January 14, 2020, your computer will still function but Microsoft will no longer provide the following:

Technical support for any issues
Software updates
Security updates or fixes

While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended."

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Windows 10 has too many bells and whistles. I am still trying to eliminate all of the crap I don't need on a W10 lap top I bought at the end of last year. I like my windows 7 and all you have to do is have a good anti-virus program that has a suite like AVG and shut off all of the W7 firewall and security stuff.
    Believe it or not there are still people out there using Windows 98. I still have an XP unit that I bought back in like 2005 and I use it for holding pictures and fooling around on the Internet.
    All Microsoft is doing is trying to scare you into buying a new PC with Windows 10.
    The next desktop I am buying will have a Linux OS.
  • For some purposes I still use Word95.
  • I have used a lot of operating systems in my life. I had a ball with DOS 6, Windows 3, LOVED Windows 98, and considered Windows 7 the OS that saved us all from Vista. Windows 10 reminds me of Vista. I've had to reinstall Win 10 once on my laptop and twice on my desktop (HipStamp) machines. Just like Vista... Luckily I was able to to an "in place" reinstall so I didn't lose anything (except patience and what little hair I have left). Since Micro$oft releases a "new" Windows 10 every 6 months AND forces it on you, be prepared for the "upgrades" to break something.

If I could just get my scanner to work with Linux Mint, I'd abandon Windows forever. Don't think I'm not working on it!
  • Yes that is the only thing that I worry about with Linux as to whether or not my printer or my scanners would work.
    I am about to do a restore on my Windows 10 lap top after trying to do an update. Its an HP and my hard drive is 1 TB but it is does work well. I tried Windows 8 when it was out and I returned 3 laptops because it would not upgrade to 8.1 and went out and bought a tablet. I am getting very frustrated with all of the garbage that they put on the new computers and I have been working with them since the mid 80's with DOS.
    I found a bill a number of years ago from Compuserve that was dated 1988 and I have an Easy Data desktop that had the big floppies that I bought in '85 or '86.
    Windows 98 was very good but I had to update my computer that was running Windows 95 with a new processor and a bigger hard drive. It was pretty easy to do.
  • You can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I've been doing in-place upgrades at work, and we've had very few problems.

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
  • Windows 7 is not going to die just because Microsoft is not going to do any updates. Good IT people can still able to work on Windows 7. I'm not about to trade 7 for 10.
  • I read a suggestion last night. Microsoft has made its final update to Windows 7 Media Player. It is suggested to update it. It is not difficult to do this, but there are a few steps to take. Overall it was simple, and the instructions are on the Microsoft site.