Question re: Scott Classic Specialized

I'm starting to harvest a few France collections that each have a number of stamps pre-1940. In certain circumstances, the collector has mounted multiple stamps in the same spot. I've seen where they might include one mint and one used, but in this instance, they are both used. I have the 2020 Scott "Standard" catalogue for France, which gives some details about different "types" for some of the early stamps, but not to the level that (according to the World Stamps Project website, which appears to reference Y&T) other catalogues go into.

I understand that Y&T would be the "gold standard" for French stamps. My question is whether the Scott Classic Specialized goes into greater detail (and differentiates catalogue values) for the different types that aren't included in the Scott Standard version of the catalogue.

If someone has copies of both the standard and the specialized, a simple test would suffice. Scott #25 and #26, the Napolean III perf 14 x 13½, each have one primary listing, and one add'l listing for a color variation in the standard catalogue. World Stamps Project lists a Type I ("small dot") and a Type II ("large dot") variation. Does the Classic Specialized list these variations?

The easy answer would be to buy the Classic Specialized and find out for myself. The digital version (my preferred medium, but that's a conversation for another day) is $120. I'll spend the money if there is value, but I'd rather know that there is value before I spend the money.

Thanks for your help with this.

Rob

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • For your example, Scott does not differentiate other than for color, with two colors listed for #25 and four colors listed for #26. #26 also has tete beche pair listed.

The Classic catalog often lists Mint-Never-Hinged values where the Standard only gives values for Mint-Hinged copies. In the example you gave, no values are given for Mint-Never-Hinged examples, but values are listed for Mint-No-Gum copies. Values are also given for stamps on cover and for examples of multiples (used pairs, strips of three and blocks of four) both off paper and on cover.

Generally, if you want to get the most detailed listings for a country, the best option is usually to obtain a specialized catalog for that country that has been issued by a company based in that country. For France that would be Y&T, for Germany it would be Michel, etc.
  • Richard

Thanks for the detailed (and timely) response. Switching gears ... does anyone know if the Y&T catalogues are available in digital format? Possibly on a subscription basis? A quick google search didn't tell me much of anything.

Rob
  • I've answered my own question. It appears that they do indeed have digital options (assuming I trust the way that Google translates their website, of course).

For those of you who may be interested, their website is www.yvert.com.