5 states to go

Few brick and mortar stamp stores remain locally and the weakly-attended monthly stamp shows make it hard to get a sense of the hobby's health. Even here on the forums comments are most commonly posted by "regulars" so it's hard to gauge whether the population of collectors is holding or continuing to decline. As a one-man seller here, I decided to check past records to see the geographic range of my US buyers. Surprisingly, last year there were orders from all but 5 states. This I found encouraging, that interest remains and is widespread. BTW the 5 states I'm still hoping to hear from are (understandably) AL, AK, SD, RI and WY. Wondering how others experiences have been.

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have 8 states that I didn't send anything to for last year: Alabama, Hawaii, Mississippi, Nebraska, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, and West Virginia. I was surprised with that total, but this is a New Year!
  • edited January 2020 1 LikesVote Down
    I need to kick it up a notch. I lacked sales from 15 states last year. :(
    AL, RI, SD are common to all 3 of us.
    I did have sales to 9 foreign countries, before eliminating my international shipments.
  • I sadly believe stamp collecting is dwindling generation after generation.
    When I was a kid I had many many friends that collected stamps.
    Right now, I am not aware of any kid in my family or friends circles that collect stamps.
    Partially likely because stamps became stupidly boring especially that ugly adhesive they use now. But also the younger generations simply rather play xbox or what not and diddle daddle on their phones. Maybe a few stamp related phone apps might spark some interests. Who knows....
    Btw I am 50...
  • Very true Martin. It's not a coincidence that after video games were cheap enough for kids to play (~1977), they stopped collecting stamps. The youngest of those "kids" are now about 50. After they retire (about 10-15 years from now) I think stamp collecting will start declining even faster as there will be much fewer new collectors. It will never go away, just change dramatically. But who knows.
  • I do agree with you all..... Most times I find myself too business to go through our family collections. We have been a generation of stamp collectors and I have tried to introduced my kids to it but no interest at all.
    When I was younger I spent more time collecting rare stamps nowadays its harder to buy new ones to add to family collections...
  • Wow, I have them all. Barely made it - only 1 sale in ND.
  • The fact that I'm a stamp collector, is not a subject that comes up freely in a conversation. If it ever has. I don't show my collection to anyone. Nobody ever asks.
    For all I know there maybe other secret philatelies among us.
  • Interesting discussion Ron.
    Is there an easy way to check this here? I'm still new to Hipstamp (we're in month 3 now), and not full across all the reporting mechanisms. Does this have to be done by hand just looking at each sale, or is there a way to look at a bulk data?
  • Well there is at least one collector in WY :-) just sold something to him. LOL
  • Strange it seems VT collectors are rare based on above messages. I don't know about the last year because I don't keep track by year but I do keep a record of all my sales since Bidstart, Delcampe and EB. And I never sold anything in VT, DE, and ND. And some states are very low compared to what I get from GB and Australia.
    Scott, i think, unless I'm wrong, you have to do your own form to track your customers. This is what I do:with the "Numbers" program on Apple
    Pseudo Name Adress Subject Feed/ Purch. Total Date Ship/Rcv Ship #1 Recv Ship #2 Recv Ship #3 Recv
  • @Ted Tyszka ...just wondering....why did you stop selling overseas??
  • Kris,

Many sellers quit selling overseas when it became so expensive to legally mail the stamps. I now charge $11.00 for this service which is less expensive than the USPS. Unfortunately this price does not include tracking, so if the stamp is "lost in the mail", it is a very big loss as you have effectively paid this out twice. Once for the service and a second time for the refund. I also hate mailing to someone who has purchased 50 cents worth of stamps and pays $11.00 to ship it. I certainly wouldn't do it. I'm also considering eliminating overseas sales. They use to amount to about 15% of total sales. Now they are less than 5%.

You are also constantly responding to inquiries as to why you shipping cost is so high. Unfortunately many sellers continue to charge $2.00 for this service as they include the stamps in first class letter mail which is prohibited by the USPS. These sellers are either ignorant of the regulations or choose to ignore them.

• Not that I condone usurping the postal system (and I don't live in the US, so this is a genuine question), how many people have been prosecuted under this regulation? It does actually sound unenforceable. And also, curious, can you point out the exact document/clause that it exists in? I would love to read the text as written.
  • edited September 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    This ruling regarding International Shipping was a UPU requirement that the USPS was required to institute and did in January 21, 2018.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/10/24/2017-22749/international-mailing-services-proposed-product-and-price-changes-cpi

I, also, just eliminated shipping Internationally for the reasons John has stated and the new VAT tax rule.
  • edited September 2021 0 LikesVote Down
    @Kris Weinschenker
    @John Eckhardt wrote, virtually verbatim, my own reply to your question.
    @Scott Payton no, I have not heard of any legal prosecutions, but I have heard on multiple occasions about mail either being returned to the sender, or a postal clerk declining a piece of mail because it did not have the required service franking for international parcel.
  • edited September 2021 1 LikesVote Down
    Right, so a return is the worst case scenario. My personal experience of this over 20+ years living outside the US... I have had 100's if not 1000s of items mailed to me from the US using regular post. I have had 0 not arrive. I have had 0 "returned" for improper postage. (I did have one item take 8 months to show up here in Japan, but it was actually mailed from Europe, so this point doesn't apply).
    It just seems to be one of those things with no teeth... I wouldn't get in a twist over it.

@Jeri Stathas Didn't then President Trump withdraw the US from the UPU? And what is the VAT tax rule? The US doesn't have a VAT.

Ah, found this interesting article:
    https://time.com/5687134/trump-universal-postal-union-deal/
    regarding the agreement with the UPU.

The last I had heard of it was that the US was exiting the UPU. But what is comical, the argument why the US wanted to exit is now what is making it very expensive for you in the US to send stuff out... well done.
  • The VAT has nothing to do with the US per say it has to do with how the UK and the EU are trying to collect the VAT tax now. They now want to collect the taxes at the point of sale instead of collecting them at time of delivery.

• As a U.S. online retailer, you will now be required to register for a VAT number and create an online account from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in order to deliver e-commerce orders into the UK. Once you have your VAT number, you will be required to collect all VAT fees from your buyers at time of product purchase. This VAT fee was previously being completed when a parcel entered the UK, typically with the buyer having to pay VAT to release the package from Customs. The new WTO rules pushes that VT tax collection burden to the online retailer in the U.S. who is exporting the product to the UK. Seller would then be required to make quarterly VAT payments to the UK.

As for the EU - each country has their own rules.

Scott, at my age I don't get into a twist about anything!!! But I do believe in following rules & regulations.

• I stopped selling to UK when they required sellers to become tax collectors. I lost many customers as a result.
  • Wow, and UK has a 20% vat... I guess being based in Japan, I've never heard of this, though we sell very little there... I can't recall the last time we sent something to the UK.
    I'm all for following the rules and regulations as well. Not suggesting one should do otherwise. Just saying I understand it. I'm curious who this is really targeted at though... Amazon, AliBaba, Walmart?
  • Actually it's none of those. It's about both the UK and the EU wanting to collect more taxes and to try to make it more "fair" for those sellers who are in the in the UK and the EU. Before Jan 1 the UK did not charge VAT on imports of less than 15 LBS. Before July 1 the EU did not charge VAT under 22 Euros. So now that they want to charge VAT on all imported merchandise and they don't want to have to handle the cost of collecting it, they are trying to force sellers outside of both the UK and the EU to collect those taxes now.

• I have a fundamental objection to a countries "Sales tax" (generic term) being above 5%. Even that seems excessive. To reach 20%, I don't understand how the public accept it. How long before it becomes 50%?
    And sales taxes are regressive tax, hurting those who can least afford it, but required on everything they buy.
    I was stunned when I had heard UK VAT had reached 20%.
  • Here in Tennessee, the Great State of Denial, we have a non-groceries sales tax of 9.25% in most counties. In the UK, I learned some years ago, the customs duty on merchandise was collected by Royal Mail, and the amount was based on the retail value plus the postage it took to get it there. That was a decade ago.
  • Sales tax is 10.5% in my part if Washington St.
  • In Wisconsin our sales tax is 5.5% in my county and groceries have no sales tax.