Pending Paypal Payments

Anybody else notice that most Paypal payments are getting reviewed and marked "Pending" by Paypal? This just recently started happening for payments to me on about 75% of them. The message from Paypal says:

"To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. This payment is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account for other transactions."

Then a day or two later I get an email from Paypal saying the payment is completed:

"This transaction is no longer pending and the money has been released to your account balance. Thank you for your patience."

Anyone know why this started happening and what they are reviewing?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know what criteria Paypal is using. Some of the customers have sent me many payments previously without such review.
  • To comply with government regulations thats kind of self explanatory, all I can say is there are increased government regulations and oversight on the way from what I heard. The ebay forced state tax on stamp purchases from overseas is one of the most retarded things I have seen just on a side note.
  • I have only run into PayPal "pending" when I sell a Cuban stamp. The PayPal software obviously hasn't been updated since Obama made it legal to sell to Cuba... about 10 years ago. Every Cuban stamp I sell I have to call PayPal and talk to a human to get the computer to allow the sale. They all say they know it is now legal, but the computer doesn't know.
    My guess is that you are selling Cuban stamps, or some of the other "banned" stamps.
  • No Cuban, Iran/Persia, or North Korea here. Just US Bureau Precancels made by our own Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

https://www.hipstamp.com/store/mnhynes-bureau-precancels
  • I happens on totally random occasions, usually resolved within 48 hours, no big deal! I usually ship out same day regardless
  • This Happens to me about once a week. As Michael says totally random. Probably 1 out of a set number of transactions, similar to airport screening.
  • I haven't had any yet and process an average of 10 orders per day.
  • I've had maybe a dozen of these over the years. One is in effect right now.
  • I had none for almost 20 years, then nearly every one has been pending for the past 2 weeks! It's not a big deal, just strange.