What will the philatelic market do now that life as we know it is changing?

edited March 2020 in Questions 0 LikesVote Down
download-2

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Many will be sequestered safely in their stamp dens waiting for this politicized plague to subside while catching up on their stamp collections, finally organizing the stamps and covers that have been piling up on their desks. Buying and selling will shift heavily to online venues as shows cancel or reschedule, assuming postal systems keep operating. There's even a strong movement in some circles towards temporary online exhibiting.

I've noticed a goodly uptick in sales (mostly on the Bay, unfortunately) that increase the longer this goes on. The piles on my desk are shrinking as stamps finally get taken out of their glassines and cards, and put into my albums. I can't for the life of me think of a better hobby to have during this crisis.
  • I so agree
  • HAVE BEEN SELLING ON HIP FOR ALMOST 4 YEARS. BEEN DEALING FOR OVER 50 YEARS. I'M ALRIGHT. BUT THESE PAST TWO THREE WEEKS HAVE BEEN HORRIFYING. NO SALES. ITS DEPRESSING. BUT I LOVE HIP AND I GUESS I'M GOING SIT THIS ONE OUT.

DR. PHIL
  • I agree with you George. Once the initial impact of changing live styles is got used to and things settle down a little all of us in this business "should" be in a good position?

Mind you - that all depends on the worlds postal services keeping on operating? So far things look OK?
  • Not so sure if it is politicized at all.
    Hospitals are overwhelmed in hard hit countries. Modern i ndusctrialized countries. Doctors ar emaking decisions who will live and who will die due to lack of supplies/resources. Some people will die that would have lived under normal circumstances. But yes, at the end th9is will end and we will be normal.
    Both my businesses sell online. One line is kinda essentials people need and the other are collectables. Stamps, postcards, ephemera. Both do well right now. As long as I cna get to my warehouse and USPS and FedEx pick up, I will prob be ok.
    Let's do all we can to make it through. Don't act irresponsible and relearn to take care of your family and neighbors and we will be ok!
  • Tania,
    the only postal service I heard of 'considering' suspending service is France. I don't really think USPS FedEx etc have a choice. They have to keep running as that is the safest way to get essential goods to people right now. So knock on woiod and hope this will work out with as little tragedies as possible.
  • Right now sales are also slow, because in the USA federal income taxes are due. More and more people will be getting their refunds. Usually that is spent on extra things. However with the crap going on in the world, people will probably not use their refunds for discretionary spending. It'll take many months before things pick up, but the world will never be the way it was a few weeks ago. Then, we'll have to see if every time someone hick-ups if the world gets shut down again.
  • Its hard to judge what will happen and very difficult to make predictions. February was my BEST month yet in dollar volume with January being my second best month of the past twelve. Currently my March sales for the first 18 days are higher than the entire months of either August or September which were my lowest of the past twelve. Will this continue? Who knows. In this time, one can only be great-full for what we have and accept whatever comes. Hoping and praying everyone in our stamp community remains safe to buy and sell for another day and the many years to come.