To unhinge or leave hinged. That is the ?

I inheritedted a bunch of stamps about 5years ago. They were in a box unopened and forgotten about. The box was sealed for mailing and was post marked since the 70's. Ive learned ALOT. About stamps since then. Ultimately. To make money. But the amoubt of hours i have in vs money. I dont do it for money. Nor have I made any... Any ways. I'm getting ready to finally post some stamps for sale. And these are my first choice... Should i sell the entire page as is. Or unhinge the stanps carefully and sell individually. So far the pwrson who catologed these stamps. Out of the thousandsive gone thru.to my knowledge all but 5 of those have bwen spot on.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I inheritedted a bunch of stamps about 5years ago. They were in a box unopened and forgotten about. The box was sealed for mailing and was post marked since the 70's. Ive learned ALOT. About stamps since then. Ultimately. To make money. But the amoubt of hours i have in vs money. I dont do it for money. Nor have I made any... Any ways. I'm getting ready to finally post some stamps for sale. And these are my first choice... Should i sell the entire page as is. Or unhinge the stanps carefully and sell individually. So far the pwrson who catologed these stamps. Out of the thousandsive gone thru.to my knowledge all but 5 of those have bwen spot on.
  • Hi Robert,
    A few thoughts to consider.. Never !! use the word 'unhinged' again. It is not a precise commonly used & understood philatelic term. If/when you do start selling here, avoiding confusion needs to be a priority. A stamp is either Hinged or Never Hinged. Being affixed to an album page or not does not change the status of the gum on the stamp. In the case of the stamps you show.. all Used or Canceled the condition of the gum is established. I suggest using phrases like 'Removed from an Old Time album page' I suspect too, your going to find many of these stamps with multiple hinge marks. Perhaps a bit of remaining hinge, an abrasion or thin. These should be mentioned in any sales description. The last thing you ever want is a customer coming 'unhinged' about how a stamp was described. Good Luck, Dan
  • Dan's points are well made, but I believe Robert was using 'unhinge' as a verb.
  • Thank You George! I do agree with you. Meaning separate from the album page, remove the hinge affixing it to the page. My concern for Robert is he get off to a good start selling here. Robert mentioned checking thousands of stamps for correct Scott Number.. leading me to think he has foreign material too. Potential buyers for whom English is not their first language need descriptions simple to understand. I over thought it & had a vision of Mr. Stark's first sales all resulting in problems.
  • Only philatelists become unhinged with improper usage of stamp collecting vernacular! Really, who really knows what se-tenant, original gum (not for chewing), Franking, covers, or glassine envelopes mean? sil vous plait