Please help identifying this stamp!

stmp20_edited
It's one of a set of 4 stamps.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • My stamp finder says White Russia. Have no catalogue for it.
  • Scott 2009 Volume 1 under Belarus has a picture of the green version of this stamp with a 5 denomination. There is following note under the picture:
    "Five denominations, perf and imperf, of this design produced in 1920 were not put in use. Value $5. Forgeries abound"
  • The stamp in the image is a forgery. The tilde in the upper right is too thick, and it should not touch the last letter on the the right.
  • stp0
    Thanks a lot Clifford & Michael...That was really helpful. Michael; do you think those are forgeries too? I have examined both the perf and imperf sets but have noticed these two are a bit different. Please do let me know what you think. Thanks again!
  • No. They are genuine. You can see the smaller tilde, and the tilde does not touch the character to the right of it.

Since these are genuine, you can also determine genuine versus forgery by comparing the letter "T" between the "ATP" in the top panel. In the forgery, the "T" is thick. In the genuine, the "T" is thinner.
  • Wow! This is very informative indeed. Thanks a lot again for the expertise!
  • I use CDs with identification information on a vast number of forgeries worldwide, assembled by Evert Klaseboer. You can find him using Google. Search his name plus word stamps. He says of these issues: "
    The stamps of Belarus were printed but not put into use. They were probably just propaganda labels or phantasy stamps.1920 Man and woman, imperforate or perforated". Further: "In 1920, during the Russian Civil War, a set of 5 stamps were released both perforated and imperforated supposedly as stamps of the Belarus region. I have been told that these phantasy stamps were counterfeited at least three times. In the 5, 10 and 50 kopeck and the 1 ruble genuine stamps the girl has a long thin chin line or dimple that does not touch the jaw line. Forgeries have a dark spot on the chin line or if they have a short chin line, they have colored guidelines between the stamps. The 15 kopeck stamp is from a different original design and a different forgery. Forgeries are detected by looking at the last letter in the upper frame. In the forgeries the flag from the previous letter touches it. In genuine stamps, the flage does not touch the it. "