Zero Feedback As A Buyer - Opinion?

I have had a couple of people from outside the US that have a zero feedback rating claim non receipt of stamps. I find that very suspicious especially because they were large orders. I got another today, this time from Australia, that placed an order for $65. Brand new to Hipstamps. I wrote and told him that I am requesting an additional $17 for registered mail service before I will put this into the mail. If he wants a refund I'm good with that. I would rather just be out the Hip fees than to lose the stamps as well. Normally I just eat the loss if it is a couple of bucks, though it has gotten so that I'm thinking of not selling outside the US. Opinions please........

Greg

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So Mark whats the deal. I get a $50+ order from a guy in Australia with a ZERO feedback who just joined and I ask for payment of registered fees. I do not think this is unwarranted. I then get the email below. SO now I ask, if I was to send this order and the buyer claims non receipt, does Hip refund my selling price. Yes or No? I am NOT about to send a large order to a ZERO. I have been burned too many times to count by buyers with low feedbacks. What is Hips position on this? Where is the seller protection or more correctly does a seller get refunded? I think not but I thought I would ask. VERY disappointed in Hips email response.

Greg

Hello,

We understand that you recently asked a buyer on HipStamp to submit additional payment on a completed order. Please note that such a request would not be allowed under our terms and conditions, which state the following:

- Shipping and Handling charges, including for additional items, are required to be specified using the options we provide. Therefore, requesting additional payment from a buyer for Shipping and Handling charges after an order is completed is strictly prohibited.
    - It is not permissible to instruct buyers that they must wait for a custom invoice before paying for a purchase.
    - It is not permissible to instruct buyers that they must meet any minimum or maximum purchase requirements.
    - Requesting a transaction be canceled for any reason other than one allowed by our terms.

We understand that you may not have been aware of these terms, and ask that you please keep these in mind.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Best Regards,
    Trust & Safety | Hip eCommerce

20052:354502
  • My email to this guy was not even delivered to him, but returned due to asking for additional payment.
  • I really like the ease of use and the number of stores on this site as we Buyers can visually pick out the grade and appearance of an item before purchase... almost liked bringing a stamp show into your living room.

But issues like these give me better reason not to set up a store here (added to the limited # of listing items per reasonably priced subscription group and so many esoteric rules for sellers). I have thousands of US items I could list here and hundreds to thousands more in WW and novelty on top of that but I am still on the fence after reading forums on this and other sites.

And please don't flame me by advising me to compare COGS (or cost of Sales which includes advertising and subscription expenses in this case) with eBay or Stampworld etc. because I have already done so. My point is that common buy/sell between entities should be by common agreement and general commerce law associated with same and not subject to little known rules that apply to some folks and don't apply to the majority. I believe Sellers should be able to refuse service if the transaction doesn't pass the 'smell test'.
  • Allen I have been here for a good number of years starting back in the early days of Bidstart, through the mess that was Stanley Gibbons and now Hipstamp. I list elsewhere as do most people here. I like you could certainly list more, particularly in the auction area but the action list fees here are higher than I pay elsewhere (which would be zero on ebay) so I don't. Of late I have been noticing more a) items lost in transit and b) lack of payment by buyers, though not excessive. Believe me, ebay does not protect its sellers either which is why I stopped selling anything other than stamps internationally. International selling is a risk normally. I have had this discussion elsewhere. Sending it registered is no guaranty, but it helps. You are 100% correct in passing a smell test. When I mail something off won via auction to a zero or less than 10 feedback person I am pretty sure these days it will never be received. I fear the scammers have arrived here, maybe having been here all along, and the sellers are paying for that - an should not be. If Hipstamp is not going to stand behind the seller, then its time to question selling here. That email I received says to me they are not and I should begin to rethink at the very least, adding additional inventory going forward. If nothing else I will probably change my terms to not allow for international sales
  • Our team works hard to help ensure that we can grow the sales of each of our Sellers, each and every month. A large part of that work is devoted to bringing on new buyers to HipStamp - which we do each and every month.

So, yes, per our terms we don't allow new buyers to be penalized and have to pay additional fees to a Seller for being a new buyer on HipStamp. We have never allowed this. It would also be against our terms to cancel an order simply because a buyer is new to HipStamp.

We typically have close to 1,000 new buyers each month make their first purchases with us, and generally, there are no added issues in filling such orders for our Sellers compared to existing buyers.

That being said, if you're concerned about International Shipments, you can certainly update your shipping methods and costs accordingly - but this would need to be done in general for your listings - not after the fact and/or for specific types of buyers, such as new buyers.

With regards to Final Value Fees, if you need to refund a buyer, yes, you're eligible to receive a Final Value Fee refund.
  • edited April 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    How do I disable international shipping? I will send these off but we both know they will never arrive.
  • With regards to International orders, each month we have over 10,000 orders placed by International buyers with sellers based in the U.S.; many of whom are new buyers - without any significant issues.

However, if you would like to disable International shipping, you can certainly do this.
    See "What if I do not want to Ship Internationally?" here:
    https://help.hipecommerce.com/support/solutions/articles/14000111961-how-to-setup-shipping-costs-options

Keep in mind that updating your Default Listing settings will not make changes to your current listings, but you'll have the option to do so once you make any changes to your Default Listing settings.

If you need any further assistance, please reach out to our Support Team.
  • It is getting to the point that International shipping to many countries is a lose lose proposition - I quit a long time ago and sleep better for it. I might add that I do not need to sell to eat - it makes a huge difference...... I've also noticed that even US based new bidders are becoming problematic - I have two non paying bidders right now .... we will see.....
  • Gregory, for what it's worth, this is the updated situation per the USPS for items to Australia:
    - - - - - -
    Australia
    4-22-20

Australia Post advises that it has declared a situation of force majeure for all inbound and outbound letters, parcels and express mail service items until further notice. Precautionary measures imposed by the government to curb spread of COVID-19 are affecting daily operations and services offered by airlines and other transportation providers. This is having a direct impact on service quality for both international inbound and outbound mail. Customers should expect delivery delays.
    - - - - - -
    From here:
    https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/australia.htm
  • More info, but not does not pertain to Australia:

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/pdf/air-to-sea-diversion-in-effect.pdf
    Switching to sea routes for some European countries.

The main page is here:

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm

Because this literally changes from day to day, I wish Mark would prominently post an announcement about the service disruptions with a link to this USPS page, so that international buyers could evaluate their country's situation with regard to US-based sellers.

I haven't suspended international sales yet, because then my listings cannot be seen overseas, so am just dealing with this on a case-by-case basis. For a buyer in a disrupted country, I thought what I would do is contact them and give them the opportunity to either cancel the purchase outright or else to have me hold it until the situation begins to normalize.
  • Phil that is an excellent idea, contacting the buyer. I will do that in this case. I know on SOR there has been problems with shipments to Australia for quite some time, and even here, I had a buyer years ago during Bidstart that used to ask me to add the registered fee to his shipments as he was not receiving things sent from the US. I suspect the postal system there is pilfering mail. Its why I stopped using a business runner stamp on all my sendings anywhere, and now just put my personal make. I figure it might make a difference.
  • I will also no longer leave feedback here until it is posted for me. This way if this guy who purchased 10 items from me claims non receipt, which I expect, he will not have a +10 feedback but rather a neutral and a warning that he just may not be honest. Only way I can think of to warn potential sellers and let Hipstamp know that something is rotten with the buyer. I've been selling for 40 years now and have seen all kinds of game played as both an online seller and in my days as a part time approval dealer
    I am also thinking the best way would be to tack on the $17 registered fee and send everything international as registered mail. Of course that just invites theft in my book by postal employees in foreign countries, but there is nothing I can do about that. I got another one this morning claiming non receipt after 7 weeks though it was a small amount. Does anyone know if Hip takes 10% of the shipping costs as part of their profit the way ebay does? If so I will build that 10% into my registered international rate. This appears to be the best way. I can include a message that says if the buyer wants to waive the $17 they can let me know, but I will have the final say. This does exactly what I want - give me a degree of protection from the scammers out there. Obviously if you live in a place like India and have a zero feedback rating, you are paying that $17. Thoughts?
  • edited April 2020 2 LikesVote Down
    Gregory,

After looking at your international shipping rates I have to ask this question Are you still shipping your international orders via first class letter rate without a customs form or via first class parcel rate with a customs form,which also includes tracking? If you are still shipping those orders via first class letter rate they are most likely getting confiscated by customs. (The reason I ask is that while first class letter rate is still about $2 plus or minus depending on weight,the USPS first class parcel counter rate is currently $17.50 to Australia. So it's highly unlikely you are shipping via first class parcel rate. (They changed that almost 2 1/2 years ago in HOW you MUST shipment any items of any value) Customs can legally open any letters or parcels for inspection if they are questionable. Letters can now only contain documents of NO VALUE.

And if you are still sending them via first class letter rate that is on you and NOT the buyer.

• I often have buyers from Canada who complain about my rates to ship to them because some sellers do not abide by the rules any more.
  • It's to the point it seems like 9 times or better out of 10 times a seller complains about this is because of that very reason.
    In the almost 2 1/2 years of shipping them via first class parcel I have only had a couple of international buyers asking about a "missing shipment" in which with the tracking one showed it was delivered and the other 2 were still in transit but the buyers eventually got those orders. The crazy part about it is that the sellers that do ship via first class letter rate invite the scammers to buy from them in the first place. (Yes I am aware of the fact that some of those buyers are scammers,but you CAN NOT prove they are scammers) And it's very simple first class letter rate does NOT have tracking and a seller can not PROVE they ever mailed it. A scan buyer would know this and all they have to do is go back to the seller and claim non receipt. And there is nothing the seller can do. The buyer will win a Paypal dispute in those cases EVERY time.
  • HipStamp does collect fees on shipping costs of 8.95% or 11.95% with a Starter Subscriptions.
  • No I do not fill out a customs form for each international sale nor pay the insane $10 fee which if I tacked on to my shipping costs would eliminate any international sales anyway. There is no way to tell if my letter contains anything other than a letter - which is why I use a personal hand stamp with my name on it, not a business stamp which I used to use. I do not send international mail as a parcel, only a letter. To my way of thinking charging $20 for international postage is the best way o go. The ONLY things that seem to disappear in the mail are for people with very small feedbacks. I do not believe that is a coincidence.
    Thanks John. I figured as much. I'll just change my international shipping to $20 and put a mention in that if the buyer wants to forego the extra $18, they can ask for a new invoice, If you have a feedback greater than say 25, you'll get one. Otherwise I will make up some reason why I cannot abide by their request and they can cancel the order. It only seems to be this site that I have problems. In close to 3500 invoices on Stamporama all but 2 have gotten delivered, and those 2 were to Australia where I am thinking of implementing the $20 shipping charge as well. Ebay was mostly for parcels being shipped outside the US, so I no longer do that. First class is never a problem.
  • edited April 2020 2 LikesVote Down
    You do realize that because a letter rate envelope can now only contain documents and envelope you ship that way can no longer have ANY more variation in the thickness of the letter then a sheet of paper. If you ship even as few as 5 102 cards and should they slide to one end of the envelope or if they are stacked on top of each other you can tell there is something more than just documents. If you ship even ship a few stamps and they should slide into the corner of the envelope you can tell. If you use a small manila stock card that also can be told without opening the envelope that it's NOT a document. And that gives customs the right to open that letter and inspect it.

And it DOES NOT MATTER if you are sending it personally or as business mail. The law states very clearly that any merchandise or items of value being shipped out of the country MUST have a customs form. Just because you use a personal label or address as personal mail does not change the fact that customs can inspect it if they have cause.
  • In my opinion a person with a feedback of 25 could also just as likely be a scammer, as one with feedback of 10 or less. Therefore I don't understand your reasoning. As previously stated, ALL shipments outside the USA require a customs form and shouldn't be included in a letter rate envelope. Unfortunately many sellers willingly ignore the rules in order to continue to make international sales. I charge $9.25 on international orders and use ShippingEasy which charges me $7.10 for the enclosure of merchandise weighing 1 oz. or less in an envelope and they also provide the Customs form. After fees of $1.10 to PayPal and HipStamp, I have $1.05 left for packaging and or to cover additional fees to ShippingEasy on heavier envelopes. Some potential buyers complain, but will pay the price if they really want the stamp. I choose to follow the law and not include stamps in first class letters. Unfortunately my international sales have dropped dramatically with the higher shipping costs, but I continue to have some sales.

I think HipStamp shouldn't allow sellers to violate shipping laws by requiring a minimum international shipping fee more in line with actual costs to legally ship international. Perhaps there is a legal reason preventing them from doing this.

• "I think HipStamp shouldn't allow sellers to violate shipping laws by requiring a minimum international shipping fee more in line with actual costs to legally ship international. Perhaps there is a legal reason preventing them from doing this."

I think the stamp organizations who have a code of ethics should enforce them - those dealers who break the law cause immense financial hardship to those ethical dealers who choose to play by the rules..
  • Are you using the correct shipping method which requires treating international mailings with merchandise being shipped as a package or are you just mailing the items as a letter with $1.20 postage? If you are using the correct shipping method, you automatically get tracking. This is why my international shipping is so high. Minimum cost is about $8 per mailing. You are also required to have customs attached.

Bob
  • Shoot, I jumped too far ahead and didn't read all the responses. My bad. I use Shipping Easy to process my international orders. Because they process in bulk, the cost is about half of what you would pay directly to the USPS. It's still expensive though. What I dislike about it the most is that you can't use stamps. You have to print the label with the postage.
  • Keep it in the USA, if they have it they pay. China is at the rim of the international black hole, it sucks America dry.