What does it take to get a seller to answer an offer?

edited April 2020 in Questions 2 LikesVote Down
I posted an offer to a seller and haven't heard any response. Why would they have an offer button if they don't respond to offers?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would withdraw the offer and shop else where. If they can't respond in a reasonable time, and there is no vacation notice, then they don't deserve your business.
  • Unless the offer was on the side of utter nonsense, I agree. If the offer was so out of line with the actual value I probably wouldn't respond either.
  • I've had the same problem through the years with women.
  • You don't have to withdraw the offer. They expire after a few days.
  • I've seen pretty preposterous offers, but as a matter of etiquette, I think every offer should be answered.
  • I'm with Rene on this one. Just because an offer is declined (even an insane one), why risk pissing off a potential future customer by ignoring them. I mean, come on, how long does it take to click the 'declined' button?
  • On the other hand - on that other site I started a scarce but really ratty cover a $19.95 and two days before auction close got an offer that said "With that damage that will never sell - give you $5 to send it postpaid to me if you end it now.". Hammer price was north of $100 - why would I respond to an offer like that.
  • Carol - that was an auction...different playing field from a BIN store item with the 'make an offer' option. Your particular putz made an offer where that option wasn't available.
  • Agreed George - think the enforced isolation is beginning to get to me and it looks like around here it is going to continue for a long time. My son opened a microbrewery in Syracuse a year ago and they are being told it will be at least the middle of June before they can open at between 25 to 50 per cent of capacity and may be longer..

Already have to wait in line outside at the Post Office and take your turn to be able to go into the lobby to place mail in the mail slot ----- took over half an hour the other day..... so...... need to mail items after supper or early morning ...
  • About a dozen years ago, I purchase a cover and the seller used a cardboard shipping tag as a stiffener, which had been attached to a parcel with a string, as far as I could tell, On the opposite side was the sender's name, destination and the appropriate postage fee, but nothing that seemed particularly special, to my unexperienced eye. Anyway, I put it up to auction at the other site, with a starting price of $3.99 Image my surprise when it went for $116.00 to a buyer in Sweden.
  • IF YOU MAKE AN OFFER AND THEY DON'T RESPOND, I'D MOVE ON. NOW IF YOU REALLY REALLY WANT THAT STAMP, MAKE A MORE REASONABLE OFFER SEE IF THE SELLER RESPONDS. MOST DEALERS I KNOW REALLY LOWBALL. NOW AND THEN THE SELLER GIVES IN. DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH. LOL

IF YOU REALLY WANT SOMETHING YOU'LL PAY WHAT THEY'RE ASKING.
  • Yeah, I caved when a guy named Guido made me an offer he said I couldn't refuse. Because of that decision I'm still walking.
  • NOTING. THEY ARE PROBABLY NOT INTERESTED