REMOVING AMERICAN STAMPS FROM PAPER.

I was very lucky to be given a large bag of USA stamps. They are all on paper and I am having a problem soaking them off paper.
If any body can help me with this problem I would be truly grateful. I live in Australia so any products for sale on your market could be difficult to obtain.
Many thanks Dave

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think this works but I have never used it. (Someone told me you can get this stuff at your local small time tire store too perhaps).

https://coinstampsupplies.com/product/bestine-solvent-thinner-3-sizes-great-for-removing-certain-stamps/
  • some of that stuff dripped on my arm tattoo and now it reads " MOTH" :blush:
  • Try lighter fluid
  • This is what I use. Not for sure if it's available down under, I get mine at either Walmart or Home Depot,
    but it is available on Ebay. Easy to use spray from the backside, wait a minute then lift stamp off. Then sprinkle gum with either corn starch or talc and scrape with old credit card. IMG_20190910_214331
  • Many thanks gentleman.
    Cheers
    Dave
  • I've used both Bestine (n-Heptane) and Pure Citrus (also available on Amazon.com). Both work well. It's laborious no matter how you slice it. Pure Citrus is more pleasant to work with, but takes longer to dry. I avoid the talc/powder on the back and prefer to go for a clean scraping of the backside with the credit card. I do this on a glass plate with a piece of paper on top, which makes a nice smooth and hard substrate to work upon, and the paper (and gunk you wipe on it) can be thrown away for relatively easy cleanup. Someday I should make a YouTube video.
  • Of course, one workaround would be to clip the envelope paper around each stamp using a mount guillotine, leaving a couple of mm's on each side. The downside is these tend to bulk up albums more quickly due to the added thickness, but on the other hand...no smelly solvents, no clean up, and countless hours of time saved. (its conversations like this that make me happy that most of my collections are of the Classic Era LOL
  • Thank you for your advice. Cheers Dave
  • Hi
    Found a product called UN-DU which works pretty well.
    Again thanks all for advice and humor both were much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Dave
  • BESTINE Solvent & Thinner – RECALL NOTICE
    BESTINE RECALL NOTICE:

On December 9, 2019, we received notice from Speedball Art Products Company that they were voluntarily recalling the Bestine Solvent and Thinner Products. In a statement the company wrote:

“It has been brought to our attention by Health Canada that our Bestine Solvent & Thinner Products are not compliant with Canadian regulations due to improper labeling including missing CCCR, 2001 hazard symbols and no French language warnings. As such, Speedball is recalling the following Bestine products in Canada:

Product number Description
    238 4 oz Bestine
    201 16 oz Bestine
    202 32 oz Bestine
    203 128 oz Bestine

These products have been removed from our inventory and are not currently available for sale in Canada
  • images-1
    Why it just may not be worth the effort anymore.......
  • Rene - I believe you are correct; I got really pissed off this afternoon...
  • SO true Rene. So true.
  • edited June 2020 0 LikesVote Down
    Thanks guys
  • I HAVE USED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE A FEW TIME AND IT WORKS. IT MAY TAKE AWHILE. NOT AS QUICK AS
    BESTINE SOLVENT & THINNER, IT MAY TAKE OVER NITE.
  • H2O2 will bleach the stamps. Not the best thing to use.
  • For common stamps on paper, first I remove the ones' on colored paper (when wet, the color bleeds onto the stamp), then I just dump them into the sink full of warm water and let them soak for about 30 minutes. I leave the ones affixed to colored paper on the paper.

For more valuable colorfast ones, I soak them individually in a saucer of warm water. I leave valuable stamps made with inks that run when moistened (aniline ink) on the paper to which they're affixed.

For valuable classic colorfast canceled stamps with paper adhesions, hinge remnants, I use "The Ferrary Method", i.e., I immerse the stamp in boiling water for a minimum of 5 minutes. This method reveals any damage that the adhesions may be concealing.
  • T. Arthur - I tried that once while making breakfast. Somehow I got mixed up and boiled the eggs and fried the stamps. Found out that Jack Daniels, while not removing the paper, did wonders for restoring my morning.